Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

On this day in 1994....Charlton beat @premierleague high-flyers @Rovers

Comments

• Options
    what a night! one of many happy charlton memories.  
  • Options
    Great night, my mate ran on the pitch etc etc.
  • Options
    What a day out. @Tavern organised a mini bus that stopped off at Blackpool on the way up. Was well on the way before we even got to the pub near the ground. My abiding memory is @northstandsteve dancing around with a picture of Shearer that he’d set alight.

We all put a few quid on Charlton to win at 8/1 in Blackpool which paid for the coach to Bristol in the next round.
  • Options
    Decent turnout for a midweek game at Blackburn. Great atmosphere and I had no voice the next day which wasn’t good as I had booked an overnight stay in Crewe for a business meeting in Wales the next day. Left early the next morning & didn’t see anyone until I got to the meeting when I realised I had no voice. Had to say I had a throat infection (can’t spell larrongitis)
  • Options
    Can't remember much about it, but I was there. 
  • Options
    I was there, went by coach. Remember backing us to win, though I thought we were 14/1. Had the bet saying, if we don’t think we can win , why are we going. Had a £10... whole day paid for and plenty of change. 
  • Options
    Blimey remember this well but didn't go to Blackburn. Went to the Bristol city game and then onto Man Utd along with 10,000 Charlton fans if I remember right. It was my wife's 30th birthday on the Saturday! I had a lot of making up to do for years after. I travelled from Norwich to London early in the morning and there was about 20 who went on the train. Had to stand all the way back as there were no seats. Then back to Norwich afterwards. Great day though. Great memories.
  • Options
    Dentist appointment to get the afternoon off school back at 3 am and then into school next day bleary eyed but jubilant

Great days 
  • Options
    Dentist appointment to get the afternoon off school back at 3 am and then into school next day bleary eyed but jubilant

Great days 
    Snap! 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    First dirty weekend away with my now hubby in Okehampton.
    Cottage in the middle of nowhere.
    I knew he was a keeper as he was perfectly ok with us sitting in his Astra listening to it on the radio.
    It was freezing 🤣🤣🤣🤣
  • Options
    What a day out. @Tavern organised a mini bus that stopped off at Blackpool on the way up. Was well on the way before we even got to the pub near the ground. My abiding memory is @northstandsteve dancing around with a picture of Shearer that he’d set alight.

We all put a few quid on Charlton to win at 8/1 in Blackpool which paid for the coach to Bristol in the next round.
    Ha soft drinks for me all day mate as I was driving the mini bus and was a very long day.
    Totally worth it though and happy memories.

• Options
    I was there. Bloody long drive!!
  • Options
    I was there, went by coach. Remember backing us to win, though I thought we were 14/1. Had the bet saying, if we don’t think we can win , why are we going. Had a £10... whole day paid for and plenty of change. 
    It was 14-1 from memory.
    I collected a quid each from our lot and went and put the £15 on in a Blackpool bookies whilst all the rest was having the crack in Blackpool.
    Made the day and evening worth it.
  • Options
    went by coach, great sing song in pub before and stopped at offy to load up for the journey back - great night 
  • Options
    Dennis_inthelastmin said: It was a good turnout , the whole of the upper tier behind the goal was full with a few overflow fans in the lower tier behind the goal. 
    Objection your honour, the away end holds circa 8k with a 3k-5k ish split top/bottom not even our magnificent away support stretched to that for Blackburn 
    I reckon we had  2k max up there 
    I thought half the upper tier was closed off but could be wrong .

thank goodness for official numbers in more recent times .

we did bring 3-4k to Anfield midweek Nov 96 for the League Cup
  • Options
    Great memories.. Yes a packed boozy singlalong in pub beforehand. Defo only upper tier, 2k sounds about right. at the end as the players came over everyone was so jubilant yet we still managed to not sing in unison, about three groups singing different songs at the same time!.. Good old CAFC away support as ooh-aah says, some things never change ;-)

One hell of a giant killing at the time.
  • Options
    Darren Ditcher was the headline the next day.  I wasn't there but did have a cut out for many years... May even still be in my loft now.  Amazing result at the time.  Went to Old Trafford in the later round.
  • Options
    Took ages to get there. Pies were amazing. 
    Can still see Pitcher’s shot deflect in. 
    Happy memories 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Got the train up, went to Preston afterwards (Tokyo Joes) then onto a snooker club then got the milk train back to London. Couple of pints in the Southwark Tavern about 7am then home to bed. Heavy doesnt even come close to describing that day!
  • Options
    SE7toSG3 said:
    My mate from work who was a Spurs fan drove 3 of us to this (in my red XR2 with scarves out the window), and we stayed overnight in Blackpool. I thought our support was in the upper tier?

I remember it feeling very new as a stand, quite different to some of the dumps we would frequent at away games at the time. We were noisy throughout and there were a few Blackburn fans watching from a hill over the back of the stand to our right that hadn't been modernised. 

We scored pretty early and every time they missed a chance my mate Russ would say 'they can do that all night if they want,' he said it so much it became a thing and I still say it in my head when we are playing a bigger side. 

Great scenes at the whistle and afterwards in Blackpool. We had quite a few drinks in the hotel bar with other Charlton when we got back and the barman gave us a free round because he hated Blackburn. 

We went to Bloomfield Road the next morning, hung over, we hadn't played them for ages and none of us had been before. The elderly groundsman let us in as he also hated Blackburn and we sat in the stand with him talking about Matthews and Morteson, Cup Glory and how the seats came from Old Trafford (not sure why I remember that). 

Russ the Spurs fan was so struck with Addicks Cup Fever he also came to Bristol City (though he panicked a bit outside afterwards when it kicked off by a big skip), and Old Trafford.

It was a great cup run, along with the year away at Coventry that ended at Bolton (another game that got very hairy afterwards).

Both seasons I think of often when we go out early these days through playing a weakened squad against a team in the same division. I do wish we would take the cup more seriously, my memories of these runs remain whilst those of our ultimate league positions fade unless they end in promotion or relegation. 

I still love the FA Cup
    Brilliant story.
  • Options
    SE7toSG3 said:
    My mate from work who was a Spurs fan drove 3 of us to this (in my red XR2 with scarves out the window), and we stayed overnight in Blackpool. I thought our support was in the upper tier?

I remember it feeling very new as a stand, quite different to some of the dumps we would frequent at away games at the time. We were noisy throughout and there were a few Blackburn fans watching from a hill over the back of the stand to our right that hadn't been modernised. 

We scored pretty early and every time they missed a chance my mate Russ would say 'they can do that all night if they want,' he said it so much it became a thing and I still say it in my head when we are playing a bigger side. 

Great scenes at the whistle and afterwards in Blackpool. We had quite a few drinks in the hotel bar with other Charlton when we got back and the barman gave us a free round because he hated Blackburn. 

We went to Bloomfield Road the next morning, hung over, we hadn't played them for ages and none of us had been before. The elderly groundsman let us in as he also hated Blackburn and we sat in the stand with him talking about Matthews and Morteson, Cup Glory and how the seats came from Old Trafford (not sure why I remember that). 

Russ the Spurs fan was so struck with Addicks Cup Fever he also came to Bristol City (though he panicked a bit outside afterwards when it kicked off by a big skip), and Old Trafford.

It was a great cup run, along with the year away at Coventry that ended at Bolton (another game that got very hairy afterwards).

Both seasons I think of often when we go out early these days through playing a weakened squad against a team in the same division. I do wish we would take the cup more seriously, my memories of these runs remain whilst those of our ultimate league positions fade unless they end in promotion or relegation. 

I still love the FA Cup
    We had half of the upper tier which we sold out and about half of the lower tier which was busy but not sold out
  • Options
    I was there - drove up on my own, as my Dad couldn’t go as he was in Germany for work - I remember setting off and thinking ‘this will be fine’ but when I got as far as just north of Birmingham and realised I still had a long way to go, I wasn’t impressed - obvs result was a great tonic, but when I left the ground and got to my car, I really felt deflated when I realised the journey ahead of me - ended up getting a few hours sleep at some services on the way back - threw a sickie next day for work (but my boss knew where I had been previous evening, but he was a good bloke, and turned a blind eye)
  • Options
    I went with my brother by car. Been to rovers on many occasions but that was the best. 
  • Options
    We were in the lower tier. Wasn't full. Some dickhead commentator on a radio station after, 'charlton's hardy 150 fans in the away end sent into ecstasy'- something like that.
    He'd clearly not noticed the 2000 or more in the tier above.

Good drinks before and after. Always enjoyed Blackburn away.
  • Options
    I drove up, so watched it sober. Great view from the top of the stand. It was great to finally beat a team from a higher division, let alone "high flying" Blackburn. Am I right in thinking this was the game where there was no main stand, the foundations of the new one were hardly in place? 
  • Options
    Remember we were inches away from not needing the replay. Kim Grant hit the post at The Valley if I recall.