Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Who would you keep/like to see move on at the end of the season?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Pratley please
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Dave Rudd said:
    cabbles said:
    I touched on this on my post match comments, but I’m curious to see who others would like to keep or move on at the end of the season?  I think for me, keep Amos, Morgan, Jayesimi, Inniss, Schwarz and Aneke.  Would like to get Millar and Stockley, but think both will have better options at the end of the season
    Isn't Jaiyesimi on a three-and-a-half year deal?

With Sandgaard's five-year plan to reach the Premier League, Jaiyesimi is part of our all-conquering Championship winning squad.

Oh, Jesus!
    Are you really judging a player based on two substitute appearances?
    He also looked very good in his first appearance (albeit a short one) and showed some great touches in the second one, even though he clearly wasn't at his best - who was though?
    I'd just get used to it. There's always been a portion of our support that has never got tricky wingers. Even Jerome Thomas used to get pelters for doing too many stepovers and 'no end product'. This will be a continuing theme with DJ.
    I'm quite happy with tricky wingers.

But the bar has been set for Jaiyesimi.  Three-and-half year deal. 

To fit with Sandgaard's five-year plan to reach the Premier League, Jaiyesimi needs to be decent Championship standard ... otherwise, why such a long deal?
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Dave Rudd said:
    Chunes said:
    Dave Rudd said:
    cabbles said:
    I touched on this on my post match comments, but I’m curious to see who others would like to keep or move on at the end of the season?  I think for me, keep Amos, Morgan, Jayesimi, Inniss, Schwarz and Aneke.  Would like to get Millar and Stockley, but think both will have better options at the end of the season

With Sandgaard's five-year plan to reach the Premier League, Jaiyesimi is part of our all-conquering Championship winning squad.

Oh, Jesus!
    He also looked very good in his first appearance (albeit a short one) and showed some great touches in the second one, even though he clearly wasn't at his best - who was though?
    I'd just get used to it. There's always been a portion of our support that has never got tricky wingers. Even Jerome Thomas used to get pelters for doing too many stepovers and 'no end product'. This will be a continuing theme with DJ.

To fit with Sandgaard's five-year plan to reach the Premier League, Jaiyesimi needs to be decent Championship standard ... otherwise, why such a long deal?
    Isn't that what normal clubs do when they pay a fee for a player, stops them leaving on a free the following year and throwing the fee down the toilet. Understand we haven't been normal for a long time and it will take some getting used to.
  • Options
    Dave Rudd said:
    Chunes said:
    Dave Rudd said:
    cabbles said:

Oh, Jesus!

He’s only 22 and we’ve paid a fee, I’m sure we believe he can grow with us and potentially sold on for a profit.

Hopefully the first of many good young players on long term contracts. The summer should be a time when we replace around 4 or 5 players rather than 10+, and January make 1 or 2 signings rather than 5.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Dave Rudd said:
    Chunes said:
    Dave Rudd said:
    cabbles said:

Oh, Jesus!

Isn't that what normal clubs do when they pay a fee for a player, stops them leaving on a free the following year and throwing the fee down the toilet. Understand we haven't been normal for a long time and it will take some getting used to.
    Yes... fair comment, as is Scoham's.  Preserving the investment.

The other reason for a longish deal, though, is that the Club believes that they have a player who will be with us for the long-term.

Which was more likely, I wonder, when Jaiyesimi was signed?
  • Options
    Undecided on JFC. Leaning towards letting him go, played well the last couple of months but he’s generally been poor in his Charlton career before that.  Then again maybe my judgment is clouded by the quality of league 1 midfielders we had last time in this league in Bielek, Aribo and Cullen. 
  • Options
    Personally on reflection I think we should try to keep everyone that we can and add to it. Only replacing dead wood.

If we keep only a handful and then have to rebuild entirely we will struggle again next season.

We need that chemistry and "gelling" that we hear about so much. Bringing in tons of individuals does not help that.  
  • Options
    Dave Rudd said:
    Dave Rudd said:
    cabbles said:

Oh, Jesus!
    You know the drill - write players off before the ink is dry on their contract.
    As I said to the original comment, let's re-visit this as often as you like.

Happy to be wrong ... but confident that I am not.
    He has had a brief cameo and showed promise. He didn’t do much in his second game.

ive seen nothing to suggestive we have a star player, but I have also seen nothing to suggest he is a dud. 

He might still be living in Swindon and staying in a hotel, give him this season to adjust and see how he does next year. 
  • Options
    I'd get rid of Pearce, Pratley, Watson for being too slow, but keep Gunter as a right back only.

In central defence we need two new signings in addition to Oshilaja, Inniss and Famewo. 

I would definitely pass on Stockley. The style of play resulting from his presence is ugly but also ineffective imo, and besides that Aneke is the better of the two at playing with his back to goal. I've noted my own statistics of these two players in the last two games. We certainly don't need two players in this role. 
     I would replace Stockley with a player in the mould of Paul Williams or Whyte - someone fast - a third division Jamie Vardy. There must be someone out there.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Scoham said:
    GK
    Amos - look for better, would be happy to keep
    AMB - loan him out ideally to a League 2 side

RB
    Gunter - under contract, let go if someone comes in for him and we've got better lined up
    Matthews - offer him more of the same

CB
    Inniss - keep as under contract, don’t extend unless he can stay largely injury free.
    Famewo - try to loan back if he returns to the team and stays fit - or make a bid find out how realistic Norwich are
    Oshilaja - release, mid table L1 at the very best on his best day ever
    Pearce - release, as above

LB
    Maatsen - ideally replace with a long term permanent signing - make a bid see how realistic Chelsea are - have another season on loan
    Purrington - keep as 2nd choice

DM
    Watson - release and replace with a long term permanent signing, a mobile energetic DM with Championship+ potential
    Pratley - keep as cover and for his character/experience

CM
    Morgan - keep
    Shinnie - 32 in the summer, not convinced by him so far his chief talent seems to be letting the game pass him by - tidy enough but only in comfy areas
    Gilbey - writing him off, under contract, will be interesting to see how quickly & cheaply we move him on in the summer
    JFC - yesterday perhaps showed how much better defensively he is than Shinnie, keep assuming he’s not picked up another bad injury
    Smith - too soon to judge

Wingers
    Millar - like to keep but no chance of that, another loan if we go up
    Jaiyesimi - keep obvs
    New wingers - sign one, maybe Millar, our strikers benefit from good service out wide

Strikers
    Aneke - release, he's way too fragile to mop up his money, at his very best he's adequate at this level - 27 years old and yesterday's man
    Schwartz - keep, will score goals with good reliable service
    Stockley - sign
    Washington - would replace with better if we could but probably not realistic

• Options
    edited February 2021
    I'd keep the majority of the outfield players, I think most of the midfielders and attackers are plenty good enough for L1. The place that is the issue is defence. If we had a solid defence we'd be top of playoffs minimum, we score plenty but let in so many soft goals. 

I'd want a 1st team level replacement for Famewo, Pearce (Soz Cap), Maatsen and Amos. Both Matthews and Gunter are good enough, as is Purrington, for at least a squad/rotation position in L1.

The loans would need replacing with a pacey player for Millar, and if we can't sign him a box-to-box Cullen type for Shinnie (If we can't sign him) or Smith, and another Strong striker if we can't sign Stockley.

If we do get promoted (Unlikely imo) it's a totally different kettle of fish and you'd need a big squad build through the summer definitely.
  • Options
    Dave Rudd said:
    Chunes said:
    Dave Rudd said:
    cabbles said:

Oh, Jesus!

I think we need to take Sandgaard's five year plan with a massive pinch of salt and not just on this season alone - He's mentioned the Brentford model a few times and given Jaiyesimi's age, he could well be one that we'll make a profit on in that regard, they're also into their seventh season in the Championship on their approach...

League One could potentially be harder next season but at the same time could question if we look at things too narrow minded, if we somehow create a miracle and go up next season then its another new squad in the Championship thats needed and will take a couple of years to build, all the while we'd be treading water.

Is the alternate option actually better to take the risk and stay in League One this year, build a title winning team over the summer a bit like what we saw from Powell in 2012 and then see if we can use the momentum to build a proper challenge in the Championship the following year, similar to how Norwich and then Southampton earnt back to back promotions to the Premier League?
  • Options
    Dave Rudd said:
    Chunes said:
    Dave Rudd said:
    cabbles said:

Oh, Jesus!

I think we need to take Sandgaard's five year plan with a massive pinch of salt and not just on this season alone - He's mentioned the Brentford model a few times and given Jaiyesimi's age, he could well be one that we'll make a profit on in that regard, they're also into their seventh season in the Championship on their approach...

League One could potentially be harder next season but at the same time could question if we look at things too narrow minded, if we somehow create a miracle and go up next season then its another new squad in the Championship thats needed and will take a couple of years to build, all the while we'd be treading water.

Is the alternate option actually better to take the risk and stay in League One this year, build a title winning team over the summer a bit like what we saw from Powell in 2012 and then see if we can use the momentum to build a proper challenge in the Championship the following year, similar to how Norwich and then Southampton earnt back to back promotions to the Premier League?
    Foolish of me ... taking Sandgaard's public statements on face value.

Any other insights that you can share with us?

Does he really play guitar?  Wait a minute ... is Zynex real?
  • Options
    Dave Rudd said:
    Dave Rudd said:
    Chunes said:
    Dave Rudd said:
    cabbles said:

Oh, Jesus!

You're an odd fellow arent you... You're the one who quoted Sandgaard's five year plan in the first place

So seems you're the one taking his public statements at face value!!
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Dave Rudd said:
    Dave Rudd said:
    Chunes said:
    Dave Rudd said:
    cabbles said:

Oh, Jesus!

You're an odd fellow arent you... You're the one who quoted Sandgaard's five year plan in the first place

Umm ... yes.

But you're telling me not to.
  • Options
    Dave Rudd said:
    Dave Rudd said:
    Dave Rudd said:
    Chunes said:
    Dave Rudd said:
    cabbles said:

Oh, Jesus!

Umm ... yes.

But you're telling me not to.
    Ummm... Yes

Because its a comment to curry favour with the fans, and there are a good number of clubs ahead of us in the food chain who'll equally have something to say about it themselves. Even he knows there will be a good chance it wont happen, or do you think he's going to pull out and walk away if in five years he's not had his goals met?