Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bohemian Rhapsody-Film.

2»

Comments

• Options
    it perfectly captured the atmosphere of queen imo. Shame we never saw what Sacha Baron Cohen would've done with it.
  • Options
    I've not seen the film, I'd rather watch Millwall winning, @Hartleypete but clearly others who have disagree with you.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vox.com/platform/amp/2018/11/16/18071460/bohemian-rhapsody-queerphobia-celluloid-closet-aids

The Elton John movie doesn't have this problem and is a very good film. It's obviously got a much, much better soundtrack too.
    Like to make up my own mind, that’s why I watched it and broadly disagree with others.
  • Options
    Fantastic film I thought 
  • Options
    Watched it tonight. I only watch about 4 or 5 films a year so no film buff. I thought it was excellent, really enjoyed it and scratching my head at some of the opposing views on here. 
    I think it depends if you know the real story or not. 
  • Options
    I hope it’s better than the Ch5 docu-drama the other year…..

😄
  • Options
    Watched it tonight. I only watch about 4 or 5 films a year so no film buff. I thought it was excellent, really enjoyed it and scratching my head at some of the opposing views on here. 
    I have said before, if you want the real story, watch a documentary. Same goes for anything based on a real life story. Try and detach yourself from what you know and enjoy the entertainment on offer. As a rockabilly music fan, trust me I know there is some utter nonsense out there (even in documentaries!), so I have learned to make that detachment, it makes it much more fun to watch.   
  • Options
    I have said before, if you want the real story, watch a documentary. Same goes for anything based on a real life story. Try and detach yourself from what you know and enjoy the entertainment on offer. As a rockabilly music fan, trust me I know there is some utter nonsense out there (even in documentaries!), so I have learned to make that detachment, it makes it much more fun to watch.   
    Turning Freddie Mercury and Queen's story into Disney though?

Always thought their story would be better as a Netflix series like The Crown etc. So much to go through, a film was always going to be too short.
  • Options
    I agree that all biopics and even documentaries are going to put out a certain version of events, tell a certain story, and often it will sacrifice truth for the sake of narrative. But I also agree that the film was technically very poor, more like a made-for-tv celebrity special. Rocketman, IMO, was far better, it had cinematic flair and a superior script. But a load of people disagree with me, and that's the joy/frustration of subjective experience!
  • Options
    I agree that all biopics and even documentaries are going to put out a certain version of events, tell a certain story, and often it will sacrifice truth for the sake of narrative. But I also agree that the film was technically very poor, more like a made-for-tv celebrity special. Rocketman, IMO, was far better, it had cinematic flair and a superior script. But a load of people disagree with me, and that's the joy/frustration of subjective experience!
    I would agree that Rocketman is the better of the two. Not sure I’ll be rushing back to re-watch either. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2021
    The film is bright and breezy, so it's accessible. It's about a subject a lot of people are interested in, so they are pre-disposed to liking it. And it's a pretty inoffensive movie, so I totally understand why it's popular. 

BUT... technically, it's hilariously badly made. The director, Bryan Singer, is at the heart of some very serious allegations regarding underage sex, and his general behaviour on multiple movie sets. That breaking news (it was pretty much known but whatever), combined with him hardly bothering to do anything when he was on set, led to a very messy production. As a result, Dexter Fletcher was hired to try and sort it out. He did the best he could, but with some terribly shot footage already in the can, he and the editor had to do their best with what they were given. This video, which focuses on the restaurant meeting in particular, does a great job of explaining how atrocious the editing is...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dn8Fd0TYek

...and to this day, I am not sure if the editing Oscar was a joke, a mistake, completely random - or because those voting for this film knew exactly how tough a time John Ottman had editing the film. 

Ottman, to his credit, said this of the restaurant scene criticism: 

“Oh my God! Wow. I didn’t know about that, but I know why that’s out there. Whenever I see [the scene], I want to put a bag over my head. Because that’s not my aesthetic. If there’s ever an extended version of the film where I can put a couple scenes back, I will recut that scene!”

Further, part of the reason Sacha Baron Cohen dropped out of the project was Brian May. May (along with the rest of the band) was a major controlling influence on the film, from the script stage onwards. And Cohen was not impressed by his sanitised version of events. 

From NME: 

At the time of his departure, it was stated that he and Queen, who have script and director approval, were unable to agree on the type of movie they wanted to make. Baron Cohen added that Brian May is an “amazing musician” but “not a great movie producer.”
    “There are amazing stories about Freddie Mercury,” he explained. “The guy was wild. There are stories of little people with plates of cocaine on their heads walking around a party.” However, Baron Cohen learned that these stories would not make the film. “They wanted to protect their legacy as a band.”

Ironically, given May's involvement, the guy playing May is probably the worst actor I've ever seen outside of a Clint Eastwood movie, although he did very much look the part, which may be what mattered to May the most. 

Rocketman - which Dexter Fletcher directed in its entirety - is a brilliantly made film, from top to bottom, and while it probably doesn't come anywhere near showing Elton John's debauchery or whatever, it is technically wonderful. @Algarveaddick is right, if you want an honest depiction then watch a documentary (but do be aware that biases are just as strong in docs). Bohemian Rhapsody is also sanitised - but unlike Rocketman, it's also badly directed, badly edited and at times, badly acted.

That all said, it's a colourful and fun tale that is perfectly reasonable to like. Nobody has to care about the technical stuff - I always, always say that if you like a film more than me then you win, but the reasons for why BR gets stick are perfectly justifiable. 

• Options
    I doubt any film is 100% accurate. Actually, I'm sure that is the case. They give you a flavour and make it entertaining and dramatic.
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:
    The film is bright and breezy, so it's accessible. It's about a subject a lot of people are interested in, so they are pre-disposed to liking it. And it's a pretty inoffensive movie, so I totally understand why it's popular. 

BUT... technically, it's hilariously badly made. The director, Bryan Singer, is at the heart of some very serious allegations regarding underage sex, and his general behaviour on multiple movie sets. That breaking news (it was pretty much known but whatever), combined with him hardly bothering to do anything when he was on set, led to a very messy production. As a result, Dexter Fletcher was hired to try and sort it out. He did the best he could, but with some terribly shot footage already in the can, he and the editor had to do their best with what they were given. This video, which focuses on the restaurant meeting in particular, does a great job of explaining how atrocious the editing is...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dn8Fd0TYek

...and to this day, I am not sure if the editing Oscar was a joke, a mistake, completely random - or because those voting for this film knew exactly how tough a time John Ottman had editing the film. 

Ottman, to his credit, said this of the restaurant scene criticism: 

“Oh my God! Wow. I didn’t know about that, but I know why that’s out there. Whenever I see [the scene], I want to put a bag over my head. Because that’s not my aesthetic. If there’s ever an extended version of the film where I can put a couple scenes back, I will recut that scene!”

Further, part of the reason Sacha Baron Cohen dropped out of the project was Brian May. May (along with the rest of the band) was a major controlling influence on the film, from the script stage onwards. And Cohen was not impressed by his sanitised version of events. 

From NME: 

At the time of his departure, it was stated that he and Queen, who have script and director approval, were unable to agree on the type of movie they wanted to make. Baron Cohen added that Brian May is an “amazing musician” but “not a great movie producer.”
    “There are amazing stories about Freddie Mercury,” he explained. “The guy was wild. There are stories of little people with plates of cocaine on their heads walking around a party.” However, Baron Cohen learned that these stories would not make the film. “They wanted to protect their legacy as a band.”

Ironically, given May's involvement, the guy playing May is probably the worst actor I've ever seen outside of a Clint Eastwood movie, although he did very much look the part, which may be what mattered to May the most. 

Rocketman is a brilliantly made film, from top to bottom, and while it probably doesn't come anywhere near showing Elton John's debauchery or whatever, it is technically wonderful. @al@Algarveaddick is right, if you want an honest depiction then watch a documentary (but do be aware that biases are just as strong in docs). Bohemian Rhapsody is also sanitised - but unlike Rocketman, it's also badly directed, badly edited and at times, badly acted.

That all said, it's a colourful and fun tale that is perfectly reasonable to like. Nobody has to care about the technical stuff - I always, always say that if you like a film more than me then you win, but the reasons for why BR gets stick are perfectly justifiable. 

And the soundtrack is shite too

😂

Rocketman is on Netflix now. Will watch it again, huge inaccuracies in that too but it's a fantasy film. And the soundtrack is brilliant.
  • Options
    Rocketman was enjoyable but am I the only one bothered by Taron Egerton's overacting? It's like his facial expressions start at 11 and only go up from there.
  • Options
    I liked both films. 
  • Options
    cafc999 said:
    I liked both films. 
    Yeah, but you like rugby 😂
  • Options
    I didn’t mind Rocketman, but found the whole breaking into song/panto element of it very cringey.