Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Football hate figures that become likeable

You got any?

Neil Warnock the main one for me. Couldn’t stand the bloke for years but really grown to like him over time  and love the way he winds people up. 

Comments

• I seem to remember David Beckham wasn’t all that popular for a while after getting sent off against Argentina 
  • Good autobiography 

although I saw a video of him tearing into a ref at u23 game the other day. I get the stuff that riles when it costs your team potential points etc, but you just think, why does he need to do at that level

For me, remember having a lot more respect for Paul Dickov after we beat them in the rearranged game when our fixture in Aug 2013 got rained off.  They led 3-1 and I thought I bet he bangs on about the fact that the original got called off now we’ve won the rearranged game, and to be fair he was quite magnanimous 

Don’t mind Savage.  Read his autobiography as well.  You hated to play against him, but you would’ve liked it if he were on your team.

To flip this, I also say there are personalities I once liked, but now hate.  Mourinho a prime example.  Loved him when he was at Chelsea first time round.  Had the results to back up his persona, a real winner.  Now he’s just whinging b****.  He reminds me of some sort of apparatchik in the dying days of the USSR, his brand of football totally redundant, yet hanging on 
  • Bobby Robson, 
  • Bobby Robson, 
    Love to know the background with this? I’m guessing after euro 88?
  • Jermain Defoe for me. Hated him in the early years at West Ham for obvious reasons but seeing how he was with young Bradley Lowery. Plus the general way he has approached the game and stayed out of trouble on the pitch. Fair play.
    Agree with this, think he’s a decent fella. His relationship with young Bradley was amazing. 
  • Anyone who left the scum 
  • edited March 2021
    Bobby Robson, 
    Robson was vilified by the press from the time he got the job, partly because he wasn't Clough, until Platt scored against Belgium.

A lot of revisionist history by the press now that they always loved him and knew how great he was. 

To answer the OP Mick Mccarthy has really grown on me over the years.  Probably since he "stuck it up his bollocks" 
  • Sponsored links:

• Bobby Robson, 
    How could anyone hate Bobby Robson? Even when the England team were struggling you still couldn’t hate the bloke!
    The papers were calling for him to go right up to the start of italia 90.
  • Robbie Savage.

Really enjoy his punditry. A player like that who had to bust a gut to stay playing at the top level often has a lot more interesting insight to offer than those who were naturally gifted (eg - Thierry Henry).
  • Agree with Warnock

First one that springs to mind for me is probably Lee Bowyer
  • Kevin Muscat.

Nah...only joking, pure filth of a man.
  • I was thinking Neil Warnock when reading the title. 
  • Lee bowyer I must admit, though I loved him when he was a youngster first
  • cafctom said:
    Robbie Savage.

Really enjoy his punditry. A player like that who had to bust a gut to stay playing at the top level often has a lot more interesting insight to offer than those who were naturally gifted (eg - Thierry Henry).
    Isn’t Savage one of those “You haven’t played the game professionally, so your opinion doesn’t matter” merchants though?
  • You've got to admire Warnock for his longevity in the game and 9/10 he seems to get teams moving in the right direction. 

I've always rated Mourinho and still do. He's won it all and will win something with Tottenham. 

Can't stand Carragaher and I honestly don't know how He's still working after that spitting incident. 

G Nev for me is someone I used to dislike but now like. He's a honest guy, knows his stuff and just genuinely seems to love the game. Seems like he has a great work ethic to re the Salford City stuff. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Jermaine Defoe 

My dislike was pure jealousy that he wasn't playing for us, its because he was good and got picked up by a bugger club at the time, nothing else 

The way he became little Bradley Lowerys best man in that little boys last few months made me feel pretty ashamed how much energy I had put into giving someone shit because as a young man they decided to play for West ham instead of us 
  • MrOneLung said:
    Simon Jordan 
    I'm glad someone else said this as I didn't want to be the one to say it!!
    Couldn't stand him when he was at Palace, but really like listening to him on talksport.

He fought our corner a few times during the Roland era too
  • edited March 2021
    Ole Gunnar Solkjaer. I couldn’t stand MU and particularly him at the time he scored goals every week. He always had that look of a public schoolboy whose head should be flushed in a toilet. I think he’s sort of OK now.
  • edited March 2021
    You got any?

Neil Warnock the main one for me. Couldn’t stand the bloke for years but really grown to like him over time  and love the way he winds people up. 
    He went up in my estimation of him after that Sheff Utd game in the PL when they drew with us at the Valley disappointingly costing us 2 valuable points when we were still trying to stay up. After the game when he came out to get into a car and there was a load of charlton fans with kids hanging around so the kids could get autographs. Warnock stopped for them for a good 5-10 mins, chatted and signed their books and programmes 
  • Bobby Robson, 

Me too.

For me, Sir Bobby was universally liked right back to his days with Ipswich.
  • MrOneLung said:
    Simon Jordan 

Orange, two watch, wanker.
  • nicky weaver tho didn’t we go back to hating him?!
  • Going back a few years Harry Cripps. 

Don McAlister is another for breaking Mark Penfold's leg. 
  • nicky weaver tho didn’t we go back to hating him?!
    Couldn't hate him, he was so clearly carrying a bad injury when he was with us just felt bad for this big thick Yorkshireman stuck in London on a massive salary 
  • bobmunro said:
    Bobby Robson, 

Me too.

For me, Sir Bobby was universally liked right back to his days with Ipswich.
    He got dog's abuse in the gutter press but I think he was always well liked by the public.