Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Fawlty Towers

The only two groups of people I envy are those who have never read PG Wodehouse and those who have never seen Fawlty Towers.  Because, ahead of them lies the opportunity to explore enduring works of comedy genius.  The latter group have a chance to start that journey when the best-ever situation comedy returns, free-to-air, next week.  

There will be - no doubt - thousands of words written about the editing of the language used in the episode 'The Germans'.  Yes, it's incredibly offensive.  Yes, it's also very, very funny.  And the butt of the joke is a prejudiced old man, although it's also disparaging to women.  My view is that it shouldn't be removed, because the language isn't aimed at the people to whom that language is usually aimed (people of colour).  The comedy comes from the complete misunderstanding of the language used.  (And, for those that haven't seen the piece removed, it's nothing to do with Germans). 

Fawlty Towers - and every episode from A Touch of Class to Basil The Rat - was a brilliant series and stands as the pinnacle of its oeuvre.  Twelve, perfect episodes followed by the permanent resistance to reprise. 

Never bettered. Not just the best British situation comedy ever, but the best British television programme.  

Comments

• Options
    Yes comedy genius.
  • Options
    So many wonderful moments, one of my favourites is the fire drill......sheer comedy genius. 😂😂😂
  • Options
    Great series. I often called my brother a "hhhhideous orang utan" off the back of it. Anyone complaining misses the point, like the racism in blazing saddles the joke is in sending up idiots.

Other phrase I also use? "These eggs look like you laid them"

Some of it is watch through the fingers but that's just because it's deliberately cringey rather than dated
  • Options
    Agree with Golfy, very funny but some of it has dated badly. I often find myself repeating lines, "I'm doing it, I'm doing it" is one that gets used a lot. If I ever forget the word of something I'll replace it with "Dragonfly".

Lines I've never used, but I think are some of the funniest in any tv show are Manuel saying, "He try to look in room to see girl, she drive him crazy" and Sybil, "If you're going to grope a girl, at least have the gallantry to stay in the room with her while you're doing it". 

Once had a beer with Ken Campbell (Roger), very funny man.
  • Options
    Don't mention the War.
  • Options
    Pretentious...moi?
  • Options
    Brilliant series 2nd only to fools and horses imo.
    Loved it. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2021
    Stig said:
    Agree with Golfy, very funny but some of it has dated badly. I often find myself repeating lines, "I'm doing it, I'm doing it" is one that gets used a lot. If I ever forget the word of something I'll replace it with "Dragonfly".

Lines I've never used, but I think are some of the funniest in any tv show are Manuel saying, "He try to look in room to see girl, she drive him crazy" and Sybil, "If you're going to grope a girl, at least have the gallantry to stay in the room with her while you're doing it". 

Once had a beer with Ken Campbell (Roger), very funny man.
    Once saw Ken Campbell hosting The Secret Policeman’s Ball in 1979 on TV where he introduced David Rappaport, who was an exceptionally tiny dwarf.

”David Rappaport ladies and gentlemen, not the smallest man in the world, but fucking close.”

I absolutely creased up!😂😂😂

• Options
    I speak Inglish very well.

I learn it from a book.
  • Options
    Addickted said:
    Don't mention the War.
    I mentioned it once but I think I got away with it.
    Followed by his Hitler impression - including turning around and walking back the other way.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    “If I get a room with a sea view, I expect to be able to see the sea.”
    ”You can see the sea. It’s over there between the land and the sky.”
    What were you expecting go see from a Torquay hotel window? The hanging gardens of Babylon? Herds of wildebeest sweeping majestically across the savannah?
  • Options
    Fawlty Towers is the GOAT
  • Options
    Farty Towels 
    Genious 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Basil screaming in the deaf lady’s ear “TURN IT ON!!!”  To which she replied “it is on..”. Hilarious. 
  • Options
    Even though dated it is genius.
    The best comedy series are ones that are self aware enough to know when to stop, like The Office or the wonderful Detectorists.
  • Options
    This wine is corked
    no its not I just uncorked it over there...