Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Fawlty Towers

Comments

• Options
    This series for me typifies the difference between British comedy and American "comedy". 

Its comedy bordering on Tragedy, or perhaps Farce. Here Basil gives everything but no matter how hard he tries nothing ever works out right for him. Whenever he thinks things are working out they always end up blowing up on him. Everyone can identify with that. American comedies have a big strong protagonist who always rushes in to save the day and the joke is always on someone else.

• Options
    No you hit him on the head - bad Moosie
    Loved that episode.
    'the moose head is up - it's down again'
    Major discovering the moose head on the desk while Manuel was practising his English under the desk. 'I speak Engleeesh, I learn it from a boook'.
    The doctor who tries to making Basil sleep while in the hospital by rolling his head and the minute the doc goes out he opens one eye.
  • Options
    cafcfan said:
    Yes, now, is it possible for me to reserve the BBC2 channel for the duration of this televisual feast? Basil : Why don't you talk properly?
    A tea cosy for your pepper pot perhaps?
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Remember the episode he the Major finds out that a psychiatrist is staying at the hotel
    and he confronts Basil in horror, "yes and he's dressed up as a guest"

• Options
    I took her to see India.....at the Oval - never saw her again

Loved the Major
    He was John Cleese favourite character.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Stig said:
    Nice lad, very highly strung

Yes, yes he should be!

"These eggs look like you laid them"

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Rosewood, Mahogany, Teak?

I beg your pardon?

What would you like your breakfast tray made out of?

I don't really mind

Are you sure? Fine! Well, you go and and have a really good night's sleep then, I'm hoping to get a couple hours later on myself but I'll be up in good time to serve you your breakfast in bed.
  • Options
    Rosewood, Mahogany, Teak?

I beg your pardon?

What would you like your breakfast tray made out of?

I don't really mind

Are you sure? Fine! Well, you go and and have a really good night's sleep then, I'm hoping to get a couple hours later on myself but I'll be up in good time to serve you your breakfast in bed.
    If you could remember to sleep with your mouth open then you won’t even need to wake up, we can just drop in pieces of lightly buttered kipper when you’re breathing in the right direction 
  • Options
    "This: Basil. 

This:  Basil's wife. 

This: smack on the head"
  • Options
    "I've had enough!  You've tried it on just once too often! Right!  Well, don't say I haven't warned you!  I've laid it on the line for you time and time again!  Right!  Well, this is it! I'm going to give you a damn good thrashing!"
  • Options
    Mr. Hamilton: Could you make me a Waldorf Salad?
    Basil: [puzzled] A wal....
    Mr. Hamilton: Waldorf salad.
    Basil: Uh, I think we're just out of Waldorfs.

• Options
    edited March 2021
    Basil to Terry the chef..
    " What is a Waldorf anyway,.. a walnut that's gone off"? :D
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Am just thinking of what kind of world a person lives in if they didn’t find any of these liners funny?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Solidgone said:
    Am just thinking of what kind of world a person lives in if they didn’t find any of these liners funny?
    I think it’s called the north
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Yeah, but, 'Miranda'.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    "I know nooottthhhhiiiinnngggg !
    I am from Barcelona"
  • Options
    I have met people from the north who genuinely think Fawlty Towers is slapstick nonsense. 

I also cannot understand how people cannot find the Simpsons (seasons 2-8) funny.
  • Options
    This series for me typifies the difference between British comedy and American "comedy". 

Its comedy bordering on Tragedy, or perhaps Farce. Here Basil gives everything but no matter how hard he tries nothing ever works out right for him. Whenever he thinks things are working out they always end up blowing up on him. Everyone can identify with that. American comedies have a big strong protagonist who always rushes in to save the day and the joke is always on someone else.

Fawlty Towers was co-written by an American. 
  • Options
    I'm a doctor and I want my sausages!
  • Options
    Chizz said:

Similarly, one of the best American comedies, Frasier, is more British in its humour 
  • Options
    Chizz said:

Similarly, one of the best American comedies, Frasier, is more British in its humour 
    Curb Your Enthusiasm is another that is closer to Fawlty Towers than it is to Friends