Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

New Charlton Director - Leo Rifkind

13»

Comments

• Options
    edited March 2021
    I’ve decided to delete this. Probably being unfair to all involved. Take care.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    What development at Lord’s 
    the new Compton and Edrich stand or is there some other development due to take place , I know there’s been talk of stuff at the Nursery  End
  • Options
    Hi all, I’m new here. In all my years experience at two of the country’s top law firms I have never known a relatively junior associate to be appointed as a non-executive director for a well known company. I may be being unfair to the young lad, but those of his level do not tend to have the skill set or experience to contribute at board level (Katrien should be an example to us all). It may just be coincidence, but some online digging reveals that his dad is a wealthy property developer, involved with a development at Lords’ cricket ground. I will leave my contribution at that. Good day all and fingers crossed for this afternoon vs the Shrews.
    Well bloody hell ! Man the barricades 😳
  • Options
    edited March 2021
  • Options
    Hi all, I’m new here. In all my years experience at two of the country’s top law firms I have never known a relatively junior associate to be appointed as a non-executive director for a well known company. I may be being unfair to the young lad, but those of his level do not tend to have the skill set or experience to contribute at board level (Katrien should be an example to us all). It may just be coincidence, but some online digging reveals that his dad is a wealthy property developer, involved with a development at Lords’ cricket ground. I will leave my contribution at that. Good day all and fingers crossed for this afternoon vs the Shrews.
    Mmmm
  • Options
    For donkey's years Freshfields have shipped out trainees and associates to clients.  (I know a fair few other firms do not).  Years ago when I was at The Bank of England and then the FCA (as it is now called), there were always a couple of Freshfields' associates knocking about. (At least) two of them are now partners.  You can easily conclude that Freshfields see these secondments as loss leaders.  The experience gained, the closer relationship with the client and the extra embellishments to the lawyer's pen picture are seen as well worth the expense.

Now, while Charlton are well-known, they are far from being anything other than a SME, so the board-level appointment would be a million miles away from a similar position at a large business, I'd have thought.

In addition, and behind the scenes, Freshields' secondees have ready access to the firm's more senior staff who are happy to provide advice and input. So Thomas may have pulled off a masterstroke here: getting top of the range legal input without actually having to pay for it!

Finally, you mentioned the Miere word.  So it's worth pointing out that she was a trainee at Freshfields but got no further.  We can all speculate as to the reason she moved on from there but I doubt there's any comparison between her and Rifkind.

Anyway, time will tell.

• Options
    Given that we don't actually own either our ground or training ground at the moment, a property development angle is some way down our list of concerns I would have thought.
  • Options
    cafcfan said:
    For donkey's years Freshfields have shipped out trainees and associates to clients.  (I know a fair few other firms do not).  Years ago when I was at The Bank of England and then the FCA (as it is now called), there were always a couple of Freshfields' associates knocking about. (At least) two of them are now partners.  You can easily conclude that Freshfields see these secondments as loss leaders.  The experience gained, the closer relationship with the client and the extra embellishments to the lawyer's pen picture are seen as well worth the expense.

Now, while Charlton are well-known, they are far from being anything other than a SME, so the board-level appointment would be a million miles away from a similar position at a large business, I'd have thought.

In addition, and behind the scenes, Freshields' secondees have ready access to the firm's more senior staff who are happy to provide advice and input. So Thomas may have pulled off a masterstroke here: getting top of the range legal input without actually having to pay for it!

Finally, you mentioned the Miere word.  So it's worth pointing out that she was a trainee at Freshfields but got no further.  We can all speculate as to the reason she moved on from there but I doubt there's any comparison between her and Rifkind.

Anyway, time will tell.

Good point re the size of CAFC.

Far more public facing than most Small to medium enterprises (SMEs) but employ less that 250 staff, a common measure.

Also he's a non-executive director so not quite the same as a placement at the Bank of England etc.

I think his dad's job is a stretch but some people will start spreading rumours based on it regardless.