Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Goodbye and Good Luck Lee Bowyer

Comments

• Options
    Thanks Lee really sorry to see you go and appreciate all you did in dire circumstances. Had faith you could get us promoted either this season or next but that's not to be now. Wish you luck in the future and will always give you a warm welcome on any Valley return you make. Will never forget the day at Wembley which you made happen.
  • Options
    I've been critical of Lee, perhaps overly so, but I am certainly not glad or pleased that it's come to this. Thanks for all the good times and respect always for that period where he was the manager of a club in absolute crisis but stuck it out.

Let's not let the bad overshadow the good - that day in Wembley was, is and always will be one hell of an achievement and a day that will last long in this clubs history.

Go enjoy some time fishing LB, you deserve some time to recover.

• Options
    edited March 2021
    As others have mentioned above, the 18/19 was a great season, one of my favourite seasons following the club in fact. He united the club in very troubled times. He leaves a legend in my mind. 

Good luck, Lee.
  • Options
    Thanks Lee for the many good times. I think in the end you became a little burnt out as a result of holding everything together for the last 2 years. You can be proud of your contribution to Charlton's history. All the best for the future.
  • Options
    Good luck Bows

Navigated the club through some very difficult times, I think only Lennie Lawrence had to cope with worse than you did

Wembley 2019 will always be the highlight for me

You leave with your head held high, which can’t be said for many Charlton managers post Curbs, apart from Sir Chris
  • Options
    our last two managers have resigned, that must be some sort of record with the current sacking culture 
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    All the best Lee in whatever you do going forward, i am sure that the Wembley Final will stay in the memories of all CAFC supporters for ever, and personally, thanks for sticking with us through the very long and protracted dark times we all endured, and showing what Charlton meant to you.
    I for one will give you a standing ovation next time you visit The Valley, Good luck Lee.
  • Options
    I said it was the end of an era two weeks ago which was a tad prescient, but it was obvious, that Lee Bowyer was struggling, and he and Cafc needed to thank each other and move on.

Semi final, followed by play off winners, then the nightmare of relegation and this season which has been as flat as a pancake. LB will have learnt so much, on and off the pitch.

Lee Bowyer will get his mojo back and I have always shown him respect despite feeling he had lost his way.

Great memories of Wembley.

The next chapter starts for Cafc and Thomas Sandgaard will show his intent with the new manager.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He gave us some great memories. Spending the play off final with my boys at Wembley was a really special time. The play of semi was an epic as well. Bowyer gave us hope and something to be proud of again. 

The time to go was right, and despite him apparently resigning for another job, he has saved any real lasting damage to his Charlton career. Shame it didn’t work out. Despite wanting him to go weeks ago, I did feel a bit sad when I heard the news.

Good luck to him in his next role, and he will certainly be getting a clap from me when he returns to The Valley. 
  • Options
    Sad day, goodbye, good luck and thanks Lee.
  • Options
    Thank you for giving your all Lee and for putting up with more sh*te from some of those you were forced to work for than was remotely reasonable. Some very happy memories were had. Good luck in your career!
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    For me, he leaves with a net positive record. Yes, the last few months have been poor, but he did a well above average job to get us out of League One and almost keep us in the Championship. If anything, the more favourable times under TS worked against him; expectations are that we get out of this division at the first attempt. The next manager will have the same expectations, but fans of Ipswich, Doncaster, Sunderland and Portsmouth all have those same expectations. Good luck to Lee.
  • Options
    Lee’s departure puts me in mind of Kevin Keegan leaving England. Lee is certainly not a bad manager and will get other work, but like Keegan the concinnity of circumstances for Lee at Charlton right now are not in very much harmony.
    Very best wishes for the future Lee, I think when the dust settles your departure will look civilised and probably appropriate.
  • Options
    Shame how it ended, but some great memories along the way and his record is actually pretty good over his time here, must be up there in the top 3, made all the more amazing when you consider the circumstances he had to work under for the majority of his time.

He'll always receive a warm welcome I'm sure whenever we next play against a team he manages.
  • Options
    Thank you Lee for putting the passion and fight back into our club. Taking us to Wembley and giving us all a fantastic day out, unluckily relegated after having hands tied behind your back, bringing in fantastic players. Gutted you are going, the grass ain’t always greener on the other side and now those in the out camp might just realise what he did do. 
  • Options
    I agree with all of this. Time to move on, but thank you Lee for all your efforts and some great memories. 
  • Options
    All the best Lee.

Very sad to see you. Brought back the best atmosphere to the Valley in years. The Buzz around the place in the run in of the 18/19 season was incredible. That Donny semi final was probably the best atmosphere for a Charlton game that I've ever been at. That team was something special we played some excellent football all season. Wembley! What a day that was. 

Then there was that run at the start of the Championship season - showed what he could have done with a little backing. 

The events of Jan last year the fake takeover and the conmen trying to destroy the club had a greater impact on him than he would probably admit. I was hoping that he would have a fresh run at it from the summer but seems its not to be.

Thanks for everything Bow.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Good luck Lee, always remember that day at Wembley and the games at Charlton that led up to the playoffs. The team selections of the past few months have been a bit odd, and unsettled, but do we ever know the 'issues involved' and players fitness etc. Always loved the idea of having a  manager that was one of 'own'. Hope Thomas  gives Jacko a chance to prove himself as manager 

• Options
    It is sad even though I wanted him gone after the January nonsense teams. 

Whoever comes in basically gets a free hit for the rest of the season as surely it’s impossible to play more turgidly....

Hard work starts after the last game....(ideally before then but you can’t have everything). 

Good luck Lee, but try to be more positive with everything that you do...
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Probably right for everyone for him to leave the club now. However, given that he managed the club under the dead hand of Roland and then under an even worse bunch of shysters, what he achieved was remarkable. Last season he had to deal with probably the worse injury crises in my 55 years of supporting Charlton, compounded by Chelsea recalling probably his best player. Despite that, it was only in the last few minutes of the season that we were relegated. This year we started off very well, with a run of clean sheets, but the near simultaneous loss to injury of our first choice centre back pairing has caused us to leak too many goals ( although we are still in touching distance of the play offs ). Despite all the bad luck he leaves us in much the same position that he found us and with many happy memories.

Good luck to him.

• Options
    Valley11 said:
    Lost momentum but not respect.
    Good luck Lee. 
    I do hope that this is the case and the respect is not lost despite this poor season. 

He has my respect and thanks. Thanks for connecting with the fans whilst the club had neglected us for a few years
    Thanks for building a pretty decent team and getting us promoted.
    Thanks for letting my young kids hear a Valley crowd singing Lee Bowyers red and white army. I was struggling to keep my eldest interested in Charlton before LB, but thanks to him the boy got on board again. He will be gutted like me that Bows has gone.
    Mixed emotions today.

• Options
    Will always be a legend in my eyes. That day at Wembley will never be forgotten about. Always hoped he would get a proper send off before he left.

Good luck Bows.
  • Options
    Thank you Lee for sticking with the club when it would have been completely understandable for you to walk away for your own health. I will never forget that day at Wembley and the great times you gave us. All the very best for the future!
  • Options
    All the best for the future Lee. Thanks for the memories. I flew back for the play-off final and what a day that was.
  • Options
    Sorry to see you go, Lee.  You stuck with us through one of the darkest times this club has been through and for that alone you deserve nothing but respect - there were times when it was you holding everything together.
    Good luck wherever you go (which sounds like it will be Birmingham City). 
    Always a welcome at the Valley for those who fought for the future of CAFC and didn't give up.
  • Options
    Good luck Bows, I'm sure a fresh start at Birmingham will work out well 
  • Options
    My memory of supporting Charlton is a small amount of extreme highs and lows that I will remember forever over the 99% of mundane and forgettable experiences. Lee gave us all one of the best at Wembley and I’m eternally grateful, thank you. Good luck and I hope you have a successful career wherever you go.