Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

‘And Leicester’....

Comments

• Options
    Lots of interesting stories and suggestions as to the provenance of '...and Leicester'.  But this is, without any doubt whatsoever, the correct answer... 

milo said:

I was told there was a song to the same tune (Land of Hope and Glory) in the early 80s that went:

We hate Nottingham Forrest, 

we hate Liverpool too (and Leicester),

we hate…[insert name of next team you hate],

but ..[insert the name of your team] …we love you.

When this got converted to:

We all follow the [insert the name of your team] everybody kept the ‘and Leicester’ bit as a sort of joke.

edit: as to why it was Leicester I don't know, obviously Forrest were a bigger side then - maybe it was originally a Derby song

• Options
    Actually being from Leicester I always found this odd. 
  • Options
    milo said:

I was told there was a song to the same tune (Land of Hope and Glory) in the early 80s that went:

We all follow the [insert the name of your team] everybody kept the ‘and Leicester’ bit as a sort of joke.

edit: as to why it was Leicester I don't know, obviously Forrest were a bigger side then - maybe it was originally a Derby song

I remember the verse sung at The Valley as:

We hate Nottingham Forest
    We hate Arsenal too (and Leicester)
    We hate West Ham United
    But Charlton we love you.

And yes, it is the motorway sign that started it.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    milo said:

I remember the verse sung at The Valley as:

We hate Nottingham Forest
    We hate Arsenal too (and Leicester)
    We hate West Ham United
    But Charlton we love you.

And yes, it is the motorway sign that started it.
    Exactly as I remember it too, Bob  @bobmunro

• Options
    I always thought it was because Leicester is geographically the centre of the country 
  • Options
    I always wondered how the Leicester City fans ended this song. And Chester, perhaps?
    It would actually make sense if Leicester fans sang the “and Leicester” bit - they follow their team “over land and sea” = away from home, “and Leicester” = at home.  
  • Options
    Whilst on the subject, anyone shed any light on why “Maybe it’s because I’m a Londoner...” ended with “get off ya sister” ???🤷🏻‍♂️
  • Options
    milo said:

Originally Liverpool song I'm sure

Replace 'we hate Everton too' 
  • Options
    Filbert Street was a proper ground.
    Entrance through some old terraced house if I remember rightly?

My one & only time visiting Filbert Street I parked in a street off of Filbert Street at about 2.50pm. I think it was in our First stint in the Premier League so 98/99. It was resident parking / restricted to 2 hours otherwise.  Couldn't believe where the ground was in relation to other houses, although I suppose its not too dissimilar to The Valley.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    One story that circulates is that the pitch at Filbert Street was terrible and by mid-season was mainly sand, so Leicester was a beach rather than land or sea. TBH I think the road signs are a more likely explanation.
  • Options
    Yeah, my interpretation of the song was always that Leicester was always regarded as existing in a medium that could not be geographically defined, some sort of hyper-swamp. But that's more Norwich tbh
  • Options

I always believed it was this when travelling to away games
  • Options
    Taxi_Lad said:
    Whilst on the subject, anyone shed any light on why “Maybe it’s because I’m a Londoner...” ended with “get off ya sister” ???🤷🏻‍♂️
    Old music hall songs ended with "get off me barrow!"
  • Options
    Are we sure it wasn't expressing displeasure at Lester Piggott for his tax dodging antics?
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Croydon said:
    Jints said:
    colthe3rd said:
    I always assumed it was for no reason whatsoever and was probably a nicked song from someone like Derby or Forest.

used to laugh at the angry gusto some would put into the ‘and Leicester’ lol 
    Every London club sing the same bit, probably a story behind it from whoever sung it first.
    I know Chelsea sing the same part wasn't aware all London clubs did as well.
    Mate of mine is a Leicester fan and I asked him about it once. He reckons it goes back to the late 70s when there was quite a lot of aggro between Leicester and Chelsea hoolies. Chelsea sang it first and other London clubs picked it up first.
    Didn't Leicester get turned over by us once in the 70s/80s, but claimed it was Chelsea to save face? Now all the wanky Hollie books retell it as Chelsea as well
    76/77
    pre season friendly
    Elliscombe road after the game.
    About 30 a side and some Leicester fans got seriously hurt.
    I remember it because it was a vicious toe to toe which was unusal.

It’s the road sign.
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Jints said:
    colthe3rd said:
    I always assumed it was for no reason whatsoever and was probably a nicked song from someone like Derby or Forest.

Every London club sing the same bit, probably a story behind it from whoever sung it first.
    Mate of mine is a Leicester fan and I asked him about it once. He reckons it goes back to the late 70s when there was quite a lot of aggro between Leicester and Chelsea hoolies. Chelsea sang it first and other London clubs picked it up first.
    Didn't Leicester get turned over by us once in the 70s/80s, but claimed it was Chelsea to save face? Now all the wanky Hollie books retell it as Chelsea as well
    76/77
    pre season friendly
    I remember it because it was a viscious toe to toe which was unusal.

It’s the road sign.
    It also continued up Victoria Way for a while. 
  • Options
    stonemuse said:
    Croydon said:
    Jints said:
    colthe3rd said:

76/77
    pre season friendly
    I remember it because it was a viscious toe to toe which was unusal.

It’s the road sign.
    It also continued up Victoria Way for a while. 
    That’s correct.
  • Options
    Entrance through some old terraced house if I remember rightly?

I bet those houses were expensive.
  • Options
    Do the Leicester fans sing "and Leicester"?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I remember hearing it was something to do with Leicester being bombed in the war.
  • Options
    I always thought it was cos it’s such a shit hole in neither qualifies for land or sea.
  • Options
    Simonsen said:
    It was.....but became a fairly shit experience when we had to sit in those very cramped, low level seats, along the side. The front row was like sitting in a trench, with just your head poking above the parapet. 
    I was sat in the front row of that stand in ‘95 the Saturday after I’d split up with my ex. I’d spent the whole day getting smashed and at half time when we were 1 down said to my mate that I was going on the pitch if we scored. Leaburn scored about 5 minutes from the end and we both ran on. Stood in front of the Leicester end with out arms in the air singing “Leaburn, Leaburn” before stewards grabbed us and led us out right through the middle of their stand, being spat on and coined all the way!

Thought we were going to get nicked at one point but they ended up just throwing us out.

Pissed ourselves laughing all the way back to the station.
    I was there that day. Paul Williams came on as sub (during his very brief and unsuccessful second spell at Charlton). 
  • Options
    Do the Leicester fans sing "and Leicester"?
    They sing ‘and water’
  • Options
    Simonsen said:
    Simonsen said:
    It was.....but became a fairly shit experience when we had to sit in those very cramped, low level seats, along the side. The front row was like sitting in a trench, with just your head poking above the parapet. 
    I was sat in the front row of that stand in ‘95 the Saturday after I’d split up with my ex. I’d spent the whole day getting smashed and at half time when we were 1 down said to my mate that I was going on the pitch if we scored. Leaburn scored about 5 minutes from the end and we both ran on. Stood in front of the Leicester end with out arms in the air singing “Leaburn, Leaburn” before stewards grabbed us and led us out right through the middle of their stand, being spat on and coined all the way!

Thought we were going to get nicked at one point but they ended up just throwing us out.

Pissed ourselves laughing all the way back to the station.
    I was there that day. Paul Williams came on as sub (during his very brief and unsuccessful second spell at Charlton). 
    He did and I think he set the goal up for Carl. Remembered after I posted that @Tavern was with us but sensibly decided to stay in his seat when we scored.
  • Options
    I thought it started due to Leicester having a horrible mob back in the day, like early 70s.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Simonsen said:
    Remember winning up there 2-1 start of 82-83 season.....one of only 2 away wins that season the other was at Leeds....went to both on the train.

• Options
    Being from Leicester this is a weird thread.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Deffo the M1  and Leicester motorway sign