Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

A Charlton Manager eleven

edited March 2021 in General Charlton
Nigel's appointment means I wouldn't need to include Albert Lindon anymore .

GK Nigel Adkins , RB Theo Foley , LB Chris Powell , CB Andy Nelson , CB Bob Stokoe , RM Alan Curbishley , CM Mike Bailey, CM Alan Mullery , LM Lee Bowyer  , ST Eddie Firmani , ST Jimmy Seed 

Comments

• Options
    That midfield would be better as a diamond

Agreed 
  • Options
    Richard J said:

GK Nigel Adkins , RB Theo Foley , LB Chris Powell , CB Andy Nelson , CB Bob Stokoe , RM Alan Curbishley , CM Mike Bailey, CM Alan Mullery , LM Lee Bowyer  , ST Eddie Firmani , ST Jimmy Seed 
    Sub Steve Gritt - because he played in every position on the pitch
  • Options
    Who would be Manager?
  • Options
    Richard J said:

Sub Steve Gritt - because he played in every position on the pitch
    Good shout . Or maybe Keith Peacock ( caretaker manager of a Spurs Cup game ) .
  • Options
    A lot of midfielders seem to have managed us, both Pardew and Parkinson had decent careers, if not at the levels of the first choice players
  • Options
    No place for Frank ‘tiger’ Hill ?

Played in Herbert Chapman’s all conquering league champions team which won the title 1933, 1934 & 1935
  • Options
    No place for Frank ‘tiger’ Hill ?

Played in Herbert Chapman’s all conquering league champions team which won the title 1933, 1934 & 1935
    Good challenge . Who would he replace ? Apart from Curbs all of the midfield are England Internationals.
  • Options
    There's only one sub, Keith Peacock
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    CF Jimmy Trotter.  Division 1 league winner
  • Options
    He was what they called a ‘right half’, which is a defensive midfield position I understand

So I would be tempted to bench Stokoe (who had a short playing career) and put Hill in, playing 3 at the back, with Hill sitting in front 

Also - per Valiant 500 - Jimmy Trotter was a prolific goal scorer - but probably unable to unseat Firmani / Seed for a starting place

I do couch this however on the basis I was born in 1970, so didn’t see them play !!!
  • Options
    He was what they called a ‘right half’, which is a defensive midfield position I understand

So I would be tempted to bench Stokoe (who had a short playing career) and put Hill in, playing 3 at the back, with Hill sitting in front 

Also - per Valiant 500 - Jimmy Trotter was a prolific goal scorer - but probably unable to unseat Firmani / Seed for a starting place

I do couch this however on the basis I was born in 1970, so didn’t see them play !!!
    Stokoe played over 250 matches and won a FA Cup with Newcastle.

I did consider Hill and Trotter but felt Curbs and Seed needed to be in the team. 
  • Options
    Play 5 in midfield for a tough away day (in Europe!). Seed out. Jackson in. 
  • Options

Seed was an inside forward so more of a attacking midfielder/no 10 in today's parlance.

Seed Trotter Firmani as a front three

• Options
    I'd have Les Reed on the attacking far right wing.

He'd be a bit Lionel

• Options
    No Keith Peacock or are we saying caretakers don’t count?
  • Options
    No place for the international with 59 caps...Iain Dowie.

I agree.

No place for Iain Dowie.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Don Welsh who lifted the FA cup also managed 5 different clubs.

Plus he deserves a place in the team as he was manager of Liverpool when they were related in 1954 from the First division.

He didn't manager Cafc  :#
    VAR said  Not allowed.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Shagger Pardew better than Curbs ? I didn’t see AC play . 
  • Options
    Curbs had style + energy. A really good player
    Pards had a wonderful strike, but could go missing and as for putting his foot in he would failed the Bowyer test
  • Options
    Pards had a wonderful strike, but could go missing and as for putting his foot in he would failed the Bowyer test
    Scored some good goals, Pards: 93-4 was my first season attending regularly 
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:
    No way was Pardew even fit to wash Curbs boots - Curbs a million miles better player than that prick
  • Options
    Yes, he would get slagged off for not getting stuck in, but scored an excellent numbers of goals from midfield, at a time when we rarely had a prolific scorer up front (other than one season from David Whyte)
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:
    No way was Pardew even fit to wash Curbs boots - Curbs a million miles better player than that prick
    Curbs was a much more talented player, but he didn't achieve as much on the field as he should have really
  • Options
    No place for Big Bob Peeters?
  • Options
    Richard J said:

Jimmy Seed was an inside forward not a 'striker '

Albert Lindon was  Charlton keeper who managed the team.
    You could use Jimmy Trotter as well. He was a Centre Forward and scored more goals than Jimmy Seed in Wednesday's glory years which saw them in the top 3 for 8 out of 9 years with. He worked with Jimmy Seed and managed Charlton too.
    JT was a prolific goal scorer for Wednesday. No England caps though. 
    JS was more of a playmaker in his later years at Wednesday after injuries had slowed him down a bit. 
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    JamesSeed said:
    Richard J said:

Jimmy Seed was an inside forward not a 'striker '

Albert Lindon was  Charlton keeper who managed the team.
    You could use Jimmy Trotter as well. He was a Centre Forward and scored more goals than Jimmy Seed in Wednesday's glory years which saw them in the top 3 for 8 out of 9 years with. He worked with Jimmy Seed and managed Charlton too.
    JT was a prolific goal scorer for Wednesday. No England caps though. 
    JS was more of a playmaker in his later years at Wednesday after injuries had slowed him down a bit. 
    Wasn't Jimmy Trotter an England trainer though ? 
    Yes, I think he was. 

One story JS told was about when the FA changed the offside rule in the 1920s. A lot of teams struggled with the change in the rules, but at Spurs a few of the players got together before a match and devised a way of making the change work to their advantage. They won the game, and only told the manager about what they’d done after they got back to the dressing room. 
    At Seed’s England internationals matches again it was the players who came up with the game plan and formations, as there was no England manager at that time.