Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

A Charlton Manager eleven

2»

Comments

• Options
    wmcf123 said:
    Curbs had style + energy. A really good player
    Pards had a wonderful strike, but could go missing and as for putting his foot in he would failed the Bowyer test
    Scored some good goals, Pards: 93-4 was my first season attending regularly 
    Scored one of the best solo goals I've ever seen v Southend.  We were 3-0 up, they brought it back to 3-3, not long left, Shagger slaloms through their defence from half way and finishes with aplomb.

Never understood why he had a plomb on the pitch with him and how it hadn't got squashed in the previous 89 minutes.
  • Options
    I haven't checked but I thought we won  4-3 at Newcastle after being 3-0 down and old big nose scored the winner at St James Park ?

Is this my memory playing tricks or did that really happen 
  • Options
    Pardew was a good player for us but the midfield I picked were all England Internationals apart from Curbs .

I was a big fan of Curbs as a player . At West Ham he was hampered by Trevor Brooking and Alan Devonshire being a similar style of midfielder so they preferred Geoff Pike . He admitted on VP recently that he didn't complement Brooking very well . Probably his best spell was at Birmingham where he would have won an England B Cap had it not been for injury . 
  • Options
    Richard J said:
    Nigel's appointment means I wouldn't need to include Albert Lindon anymore .

GK Nigel Adkins , RB Theo Foley , LB Chris Powell , CB Andy Nelson , CB Bob Stokoe , RM Alan Curbishley , CM Mike Bailey, CM Alan Mullery , LM Lee Bowyer  , ST Eddie Firmani , ST Jimmy Seed 
    Jimmy Seed was an inside forward not a 'striker '

Albert Lindon was  Charlton keeper who managed the team.
    You could use Jimmy Trotter as well. He was a Centre Forward and scored more goals than Jimmy Seed in Wednesday's glory years which saw them in the top 3 for 8 out of 9 years with. He worked with Jimmy Seed and managed Charlton too.
    Wish I'd said that
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Mullery was better, as a player, than Curbs, Padrew, Bowyer and even Bailey. Shit manager though.
  • Options
    Mullery was better, as a player, than Curbs, Padrew, Bowyer and even Bailey. Shit manager though.
    The second best player to have managed us after Firmani?
  • Options
    in terms of England caps and a world cup finals appearance (1970) you could argue Mullery has a more impressive CV than Firmani although Eddie played in Serie A and Trotter, Nelson, Hill and Seed won the league.

id still say Firmani was the best player.
  • Options
    in terms of England caps and a world cup finals appearance (1970) you could argue Mullery has a more impressive CV than Firmani although Eddie played in Serie A and Trotter, Nelson, Hill and Seed won the league.

id still say Firmani was the best player.
    Seed won the league twice, and the FA Cup. Have no idea who was the better player though.