Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Worst Gifted Goals

Comments

• Options
    Consider me another unsurprising proponent of renaming it the Dillon Phillips Wembley Gaffe

In terms of gifting opposition players goals, Richard Rufus gave Gareth Barry a magnificent luxury-wrapped here-you-go in the famous 4-3 at Villa. Barry felt sorry for us and scored at the other end almost immediately (may have been the other way around)
  • Options
    Pedro45 said:
    One we gave away was a 1970s league cup game at home, 4th round (?) Stoke (I think) and we gave away a corner, our keeper decided to run the distance to helpfully collect the ball for them, kicked  it to their player waiting to take it and watched as he quickly took it with him in No mans land and they scored in a goal keeper empty net.
    Garth Crooks headed it in...
    I think this may have been a cup tie v Sheff United and the culprit was John Dunn. Game finished 2-2 aet. We lost the second replay 1-0.
    Pretty sure it was actually against Stoke. 
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    Considering the size of the occasion, it has to be Naby Sarr's. 

And if it was going to be any player, it would have been him wouldn't it? 

All worked out in the end though
    As @eastterrace6168 mentions above - that mistake was on Phillips far more than it was on Sarr.
    Yes, he could’ve played it slightly differently, but there’s no way anyone would expect Dillon to be in trouble from that ball. It may have been a Sarr og, but it was Dillon’s error.

A similar, but sort of opposite point - yesterday was Famewo’s error. You can apportion some blame to Amos, but to be fair, the reason he was caught on his heels was because he was trying to move away to give Famewo space to pass to him. Amos shouldn’t have passed to Famewo in that position in the first place, but apart from that, it was all on Famewo.
  • Options
    Southampton at home I think it was when McCarthy and Randolph collided into each other it went in. It looked like McCarthy headed it out of his hands or Randolph threw it in.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Pedro45 said:
    One we gave away was a 1970s league cup game at home, 4th round (?) Stoke (I think) and we gave away a corner, our keeper decided to run the distance to helpfully collect the ball for them, kicked  it to their player waiting to take it and watched as he quickly took it with him in No mans land and they scored in a goal keeper empty net.
    Garth Crooks headed it in...
    I think this may have been a cup tie v Sheff United and the culprit was John Dunn. Game finished 2-2 aet. We lost the second replay 1-0.
    Pretty sure it was actually against Stoke. 
    There are different games being talked about here and it depends  which one @letthegoodtimesroll is talking about. Regarding the Sheff Utd game, Dunn lost possession by the JS end corner flag and I think Alan Woodward curled it in. the 2-3 reverse v Stoke, we came back from 2 down before going out to a late Garth Crooks winner. That was in 78/79.
  • Options
    Best by an ex Charlton player - pure genius...

https://youtu.be/8sgFvlZvwLc
  • Options

I've no idea what Jenks was trying to do there

As the commentator so eloquently put it
  • Options

Superb finish.
  • Options
    cafctom said:

As @eastterrace6168 mentions above - that mistake was on Phillips far more than it was on Sarr.
    Yes, he could’ve played it slightly differently, but there’s no way anyone would expect Dillon to be in trouble from that ball. It may have been a Sarr og, but it was Dillon’s error.

I agree. But there's still a superstitious part of me that thinks that had it been any other defender, it probably wouldn't have ended up in such a calamitous outcome. Just the sort of thing that used to happen to poor old Naby!
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    cafctom said:

A similar, but sort of opposite point - yesterday was Famewo’s error. You can apportion some blame to Amos, but to be fair, the reason he was caught on his heels was because he was trying to move away to give Famewo space to pass to him. Amos shouldn’t have passed to Famewo in that position in the first place, but apart from that, it was all on Famewo.
    Cheers for the mention @lordromford, feel free to "like" my post  :)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    PWR...Anyone who was at Carlisle at the 3-2 in the mid 80s will never forget Jim Tolmies almost half way line og that got us back in the game just before HT that day.
  • Options
    If we look at the 5 or 6 biggest mistakes leading to goals this season in games involving us, they will all be our mistakes. Now as there are clearly a number of teams worse than us, we have to ask ourselves why that is. That is a job for Adkins to get to the bottom of.
  • Options
    Stig said:
    Famewo's backpass yesterday is surely up there with Naby's Wembley gaffe. I know there have been dozens of gifts we've given over the years, but I seem to have repressed the memories. So as a bit of therapy, what are the other worst gifts we've given? And just to lighten the mood, the best one's we've been given.
    To be fair there wasn't a lot Naby did that was fundamentaly wrong, all he did was pass back to Dillon
    who let it bobble over his foot, if anything he was too relaxed and failed to collect, you could also argue that it bobbled before it got to him, but lack of concentration on Dillon's part really.

Absolutely agree , no way was Naby responsible for the goal at Wembley . a simple back pass which Dillon misread
  • Options
    edited March 2021

Beat me to it, I was going to post that one.

He was obviously trying to out do his Arsenal hero and fellow right back Lee Dixon.

• Options
    If we look at the 5 or 6 biggest mistakes leading to goals this season in games involving us, they will all be our mistakes. Now as there are clearly a number of teams worse than us, we have to ask ourselves why that is. That is a job for Adkins to get to the bottom of.
    And if you add to that the number of times we harm each missed by hitting the woodwork or otherwise narrowly failing to score, he can sort that out as well. 
  • Options
    Turned out be of no consequence in the long run, but during our first home defeat in the 2011/12 promotion season against Colchester Ben Hamer dillied and dallied on the ball before booting it into one of their players and watching it sail back into our net.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Utd just gave Leicester one in the cup, Fred played the role of Famewo.
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Christ - that’s so depressing! Who’s our defensive coach again?!
    Exactly, so many desperate for Johnnie to be the manager and yet ignore or don't know that he is the defensive coach in charge of the worst Charlton defending in at least 40 years.
    I've mixed view on JJ (love him), but how good a coach is he?
    I don't know but it makes you think.
  • Options

what a career he has gone on to have...
  • Options
    Why are we playing around at the back. When Adkins last had a job I don’t thing the short goal kick was allowed ? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Remember konchesky trying to header one back to the goalie but instead just played the striker through. Think it may have been against Tottenham
  • Options
    Why are we playing around at the back. When Adkins last had a job I don’t thing the short goal kick was allowed ? 
    He has only been in charge a couple of days
    - pretty sure he will soon stamp it out. 
  • Options
    Charlton Reserves versus Millwall Reserves. A young defender, possibly Keith Miller (not Ralph) put down the ball thinking we had won a free kick. No one except the ref was sure which way the kick had been awarded but a Millwall player chanced his luck and floated it into the goal. Goal given.
  • Options
    Some classics there which made me have to pay out for more therapy but do you guys remember a 4-0 win at Sunderland when they scored 3 own goals and one of their own goals was assisted by two other Sunderland players !

I worked for Northern Rock at the time and got a call to HQ so planned it around the game.  Football is such a religion there half the office were Sunderland fans and refused to talk to me and the other half were Newcastle and we're delighted.  I also crashed my car in the snow!
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    This has bugged me for the past couple of seasons. We muck around with it at the back and either give it away or end up hoofing it up front more often that not. 

Problem is lately Amos distribution has been so poor we can’t maintain any possession from goal kicks ( if it stays on the pitch).

We aren’t good enough to play it from the back. 

As a defender the motto should always be if in doubt kick it out! Not if it doubt ponce about. 
  • Options
    This has bugged me for the past couple of seasons. We muck around with it at the back and either give it away or end up hoofing it up front more often that not. 

Problem is lately Amos distribution has been so poor we can’t maintain any possession from goal kicks ( if it stays on the pitch).

As a defender the motto should always be if in doubt kick it out! Not if it doubt ponce about. 
    Steve Brown couldn’t understand what the point was, and I agree. Almost always, it ends up with the goalkeeper who just hoofs up upfield. So why not just do that and remove the risk of a cock up like yesterday. 

Sometimes I wonder whether people have misunderstood the rule just allows this, rather than makes it compulsory. 
  • Options
    86 or 87. Away to Arsenal league cup. 

Went with an Arsenal fan from school so was going in North Bank. 
    Was delayed by a few minutes getting into the ground and walked onto the terrace just in time for us to pass the ball past the goalie to go one down early doors. 

Am sure someone can tell me who was involved as I can’t remember. Presumably Bolder and maybe Tommy Caton? 
  • Options

At least mix it up a bit so the opposition don't know exactly what to expect. Any manager will have see this and told his players to watch for this and try to take advantage. It was only a matter of time before this type of goal happened but so many times, the pressing by the opposition has forced arushed hoof upfield. It's an even bigger issue when you have a left-footer playing on the right and vice versa.

It's a plan that hasn't worked for us all season. It was, if anyting, worse in the early part of the season when it took forever before the final, inevitable, punt upfield occurred and it's really nothing but a time-waster if the midfield aren't ready to take control and create an attack. When they do get it, how many times do they go nowhere, the ball's back to Amos and the fannying around starts again. Great for possession stats but nothing else, and it makes dull watching.
  • Options

At least mix it up a bit so the opposition don't know exactly what to expect. Any manager will have see this and told his players to watch for this and try to take advantage. It was only a matter of time before this type of goal happened but so many times, the pressing by the opposition has forced arushed hoof upfield. It's an even bigger issue when you have a left-footer playing on the right and vice versa.

It's a plan that hasn't worked for us all season. It was, if anyting, worse in the early part of the season when it took forever before the final, inevitable, punt upfield occurred and it's really nothing but a time-waster if the midfield aren't ready to take control and create an attack. When they do get it, how many times do they go nowhere, the ball's back to Amos and the fannying around starts again. Great for possession stats but nothing else, and it makes dull watching.
    Indeed.
    and why do our pressing forwards go to the side of the advancing defender leaving him a clear route ahead. Probably to stop him passing sideways but surly that's better.
  • Options

what a career he has gone on to have...
    Yes he has, he's mostly played in a division higher that what Charlton have been in.