Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Worst Gifted Goals

13»

Comments

• Options
    Stig said:
    Not a gift on yesterday's scale, but this might cheer us up.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmJ8jsiSvyk
    I love the "Well, what happened there, Alvin?" and the complete silence in response.
  • Options
    The own goal Barness scored is still a classic! 1:50

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4CjIkrSqHY
    Classic?  Not a patch on Dave Shipperley from the half-way line v Orient.
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Christ - that’s so depressing! Who’s our defensive coach again?!
    Exactly, so many desperate for Johnnie to be the manager and yet ignore or don't know that he is the defensive coach in charge of the worst Charlton defending in at least 40 years.
    I've mixed view on JJ (love him), but how good a coach is he?
    I don't know but it makes you think.
    Is it the defensive coach's or the manager's decision to play out from the back?  I suspect the latter.
  • Options
    Well I think saturdays and the wembley  goal are basically in a league of their own,bearing in mind there was no imminent danger pre cock ups.However one sticks out for me,Man City away,when a city player slammed the ball at Jensen and it went about 40 yards over Weavers head,will never forget the look on Weavers face as the ball sailed over his head.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    86 or 87. Away to Arsenal league cup. 

Went with an Arsenal fan from school so was going in North Bank. 
    Was delayed by a few minutes getting into the ground and walked onto the terrace just in time for us to pass the ball past the goalie to go one down early doors. 

Am sure someone can tell me who was involved as I can’t remember. Presumably Bolder and maybe Tommy Caton? 
    Alan Curbishley OG.

The other goal was a cracking far post header from Niall Quinn.
  • Options
    Peter Hunt's goal through the side netting was pretty decent.
    I think most people believe that the ball has to go between the posts!
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    MrOneLung said:
    86 or 87. Away to Arsenal league cup. 

Went with an Arsenal fan from school so was going in North Bank. 
    Was delayed by a few minutes getting into the ground and walked onto the terrace just in time for us to pass the ball past the goalie to go one down early doors. 

Am sure someone can tell me who was involved as I can’t remember. Presumably Bolder and maybe Tommy Caton? 
    Was Bob Bolder in goal....some fella called Curbishley provided the finish.
    Edit - Simonsen beat me to it, remember it was a 90 minute going over from the Gooners.
  • Options
    We may be crap, but we're amateurs at giving goals away... remember this game?!  https://youtu.be/Glqkyw8A43k 
  • Options
    The most memorable OG for me was a John Hewie back pass to Willie Duff.
    He was in the general area of where the tunnel is nowadays, maybe five yards or so towards the halfway line.
    He was facing towards the Jimmy Seed stand about two yards in play and decided (for some reason known only to himself), to stop and pass it back to Willie Duff, he half swivelled and with his right foot sent the ball bewilderingly skyward.
    Willie was somewhere near the edge of his six yard box and astonishingly watched the ball (together with the astounded spectators), sail over his head and drop out of the sky just at the required angle for it to cross over the goal line......that was before it even bounced!
    You could have asked him to try and deliberately do that 1000 times and he’d still not manage it.
    Don’t know who it was against but would have been early 60’s.
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Christ - that’s so depressing! Who’s our defensive coach again?!
    Exactly, so many desperate for Johnnie to be the manager and yet ignore or don't know that he is the defensive coach in charge of the worst Charlton defending in at least 40 years.
    I've mixed view on JJ (love him), but how good a coach is he?
    I don't know but it makes you think.
    Is it the defensive coach's or the manager's decision to play out from the back?  I suspect the latter.
    So do I.
    I was talking about our shocking defending all season, not just this goal.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    pettgra said:
    It didn’t even go through the side netting. It went past the post, hit the wall and bounced back onto the pitch. Both sides were lining up for a goal kick but the ref had other ideas. 
  • Options
    pettgra said:
    It didn’t even go through the side netting. It went past the post, hit the wall and bounced back onto the pitch. Both sides were lining up for a goal kick but the ref had other ideas. 
    This was against Oldham.  I wrote in to VoTV  about this goal when we were still at Selhurst, asking if anyone could supply the game as at the time I couldn't recall, I just remembered seeing it.
  • Options
    Funny thing about Fred's backpass was he passed to their blue shirts minutes before:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9luN2S-BfA
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Funny thing about Fred's backpass was he passed to their blue shirts minutes before:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9luN2S-BfA
    They must have been studying our defensive setup. Straight out of our playbook. 
  • Options

3:35.
    This one haunts more or less every single Dane (who cares about football), to this day 35 years later.
    Mexico '86. Round of 16, in total control and up 1-0 vs. Spain. Just before halftime and then Jesper Olsen gifts Butragueno this one.
    Ended up losing 5-1.