Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

If you had to describe the reason why you support Charlton.......

Growing up at school with Chelski supporting mates and feeling I was different to them and not a glory hunter

Comments

• Options
    Generational 
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Became fascinated at 13 when moved to London in 1985 with this football ground that wasn't being used near where I lived in Kidbrooke the rest as they is history. Before then I used go to the Dell and watch Southampton even had my picture taken with Ruben Agboola. What a player he was:) 
  • Options
    Family
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Cos I wasn’t cnutish or hard enough to support the scum 
    and wasn’t brought up in Bromley to support palace 
    SE9 meant Charlton Athletic got the most knowledgeable away fan geek in the land 
    What were the percentage odds though?
  • Options
    DNA
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Shit luck.

In all seriousness, my brother. He was a junior red etc then took me to my first game, 1-1 draw at home to Luton. Then the rest is history...
  • Options
    Cos I am bonkers
  • Options
    Think it was the community initiatives and the free tickets that sucked me in, then i convinced my mum for a season ticket at 12 and never really looked back.

I do look back at Fondness at those initiatives as they created many charlton fan in my area around my age.
  • Options
    My grandad.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Lennie Lawrence and Peter Shirtliff

I'd been to The Valley occasionally as a child (and indeed Upton Park) but didn't support Charlton then

I found myself getting drawn towards Charlton during the promotion season, but it was listening to the playoff final on the radio, and Shirtliff's 2 goals which hooked me for life!
  • Options
    Shipped off to an unknown friend of my mothers after my fathers death, the husband took me to Charlton next home game as I found out last year. Not a clue who the man was or the result but I’d wager we lost. 11/03/65 or the nearest home game to it. 
  • Options
    The covered end ... as a kid it was an escape ... the noise, the smoke, the swearing, the abuse,  the atmosphere ... it was nothing like I'd seen before ... it drew me in.  Now after 40 years I'm just addicted.
  • Options
    Went to matches with 2 mates from school from when we were 11. It's really weird as we all left the area for work reasons when we grew up but wherever all 3 of us went for the next 45 years none of us ever stopped supporting the club. Proves the point I spose that's once bitten you just cant shed the curse 🤭
  • Options
    Growing up at school with Chelski supporting mates and feeling realising I was different superior to them and not a glory hunter
    Fixed that for you @raytreacy69
    😎
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    A penchant for masochism.

(my two boys would probably say sadomasochism!)
  • Options
    Got taken by my cousin in 68, he played for the junior team then.

Was born at the elephant and used to get taken by my Millwall supporting uncle in the 70/71 season when they almost went into the old first division. As soon as I was old enough to catch the 53 bus on my own that was it, the valley for me and the rest is history 😉.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Because I lived less than 10 minutes walk from the Valley, my best mate at the time used to go to Tottenham and didn't get home until 6-30, so it was a no brainer even though we were pretty shit then as well.
  • Options
    Masochism
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Must've pissed my dad off at some point I guess.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Because the highs are really high and lows are accepted.
  • Options
    Hopeless, misguided romantic.
  • Options
    Masochism
  • Options
    Cos I wasn’t cnutish or hard enough to support the scum 
    and wasn’t brought up in Bromley to support palace 
    SE9 meant Charlton Athletic got the most knowledgeable away fan geek in the land 
    Me too. Where abouts?