Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

If you had to describe the reason why you support Charlton.......

124»

Comments

• Options
    Was gonna support Millwall but passed the IQ test.
  • Options
    Support your local team my Dad said - his was West Ham, but he wouldn't allow me to support them, due to where we lived, so I started going to Crystal Palace, but really wanted Dad to take me to Stamford Bridge, as I liked Chelsea for some reason (probably, they were winning things, which is important when you're 11). Dad never did take me to see Chelsea and I stopped going to Palace. Fast forward a few years, I've moved and my kids are interested in footie, so I told them what my Dad told me "support your local team". I took them along to The Valley and they were hooked, but so was I. I am Charlton through and through - in the last 25 years I've seen it all with Charlton, except a decent cup run, of course. I wonder who my grandkids will support...
  • Options
    It’s a family ting. Dad, grandad, uncles, cousins. It was a day out back in the 60’s and 70’s 
  • Options
    I'm also the first Charlton supporter in the family, north London dominated, my Brother is an Arsenal supporter as was my gran, uncles are Spurs supporters, hence the first game I went too. 
  • Options
    Genetics.

My dad was born in McCall Crescent about 400 yards from the Valley. His father was from Yorkshire who moved to Charlton, via spells in Alaska and California, in the early 1920’s. My grandfather died in 1964 and some of my few memories of him are of him telling me about the Charlton team of the 1930’s and 40’s.

My first game was 29th February 1964 against Portsmouth when I was 7. We lost one nil but I was hooked.
  • Options
    Grew up in South West London - closest teams being Wimbledon (Dad's Team) and Palarse (Grandad's Team). Luckily my Uncle saved me with a trip to The Valley in '95 vs Norwich. I was shouting Leaburn's name in no time  B)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2021
    Sad in the Rain Doctor Who  Reaction GIFs

I couldn't.  You'd just have to go ahead and shoot me.
  • Options
    Born and brought up in Eltham, Dad took me to the Valley when I was a kid although not a big Football fan himself. Been stuck with them ever since.
  • Options
    My dad was hooked in the forties when Charlton were one of the best teams in the country. Took me to my first game aged nearly 5 in 1970. If it’s in your blood there’s nothing you can do about it.
  • Options
    Saga Lout said: "support your local team". 
    fuck that , I haven’t gone through all this shit all my life for my 4 little cnuts to fuck off and support Spurs , no sir , you little brats have no choice you are Charlton fans and there is no alternative . 

Say it how it is, Ooh Aah!
  • Options
    Mametz said:
    Genetics.

My dad was born in McCall Crescent about 400 yards from the Valley. His father was from Yorkshire who moved to Charlton, via spells in Alaska and California, in the early 1920’s. My grandfather died in 1964 and some of my few memories of him are of him telling me about the Charlton team of the 1930’s and 40’s.

My first game was 29th February 1964 against Portsmouth when I was 7. We lost one nil but I was hooked.
    My Dad’s first Charlton game was Addicks vs Portsmouth - as a result of that he was (of course) an Addick - but always had a soft spot for Portsmouth - he got to see (Charlton legends aside) the great Jimmy Dickinson play for for Pompey - over 750 league appearances for Pompey - quite simply WOW - he must have been some player - 750, that’s incredible

Can any older CL’s tell us about Jimmy Dickinson ??

Was he a great player ?
  • Options
    Is being Addick-ted to self-harm a good reason?
  • Options
    Became fascinated at 13 when moved to London in 1985 with this football ground that wasn't being used near where I lived in Kidbrooke the rest as they is history. Before then I used go to the Dell and watch Southampton even had my picture taken with Ruben Agboola. What a player he was:) 
    One? game on loan for us.
  • Options
    Brought up in Catford, lived in Lee.
  • Options
    We used to live in Springfield opposite the church,every other saturday,my dad would join he masses of people walking past our flat,I confess I had little interest in football at this time,one evening,I was told,come on your coming to see Tom Finney play,it was around 56-57 ( I had no idea who Finney was only that my dad worshipped the ground he walked on)well we beat Preston 2-1,leary got the winner,the rest is history,who would have thought of the traumas that lay ahead 65 years later.
    I did a little later start visiting other london grounds,but there just was nothing to beat the Valley,still isnt
  • Options
    Accident of birth. I never ever made a conscious decision re Charlton. Was taken to The Valley aged five and the rest as they say is history.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dad was working on the building site that became Valiant House, watched the first couple of seasons friends there and then continue from inside The Valley .
  • Options
    Mametz said:
    Genetics.

My Dad’s first Charlton game was Addicks vs Portsmouth - as a result of that he was (of course) an Addick - but always had a soft spot for Portsmouth - he got to see (Charlton legends aside) the great Jimmy Dickinson play for for Pompey - over 750 league appearances for Pompey - quite simply WOW - he must have been some player - 750, that’s incredible

Can any older CL’s tell us about Jimmy Dickinson ??

Was he a great player ?
    Jimmy Dickinson did indeed play in the first game I saw in 1964. However, as I was only seven I can’t remember how he played. My main memories of the game are things like the noise, the colours of the shirts and the fact that there was a Portsmouth supporter wearing a blue and white top hat!
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    ABM - ( Anyone But Millwall)
  • Options
    It crept up on me. Slowly. Inevitably.
    My mum lived in Charlton and used to go with her Dad in the 30/40s and one of the big regrets I have is I didn't properly talk to her about it. By the time I was interested in football, it was the 70s and we lived in Erith. My dad was forever threatening to take me to a game but it never happened. He was flexible in his support, but by then it wasn't something my mum was going to do. 
    After my kids were born, I found myself following Charlton's results. I have good mates who are Charlton (including a crew who used to go Selhurst back in the day) but I was always busy with other things then. When my son said he wanted to go aged 5, I took him to The Valley. He didn't really like it, but my daughter (then 10) did and it's now something we do together. I like that I have 4 generations of fans in my family even if there's not a direct link. 
  • Options
    Whilst still at school Charlton used to run a bus service on Saturday home games for 2/6 (old money 12.5p) from St Mary's Cray station and all round the St. Paul's Cray Estate. Sadly later stopped through lack of support, but me and some mates could get a 161 from Petts Wood then get off and walk from the end of Woolwich Common through Marion Park. Happy days to remember.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Born in Plumstead, lived in Abbey Wood throughout my childhood so was the only professional team that I could get to on a bus. Also had Keith Peacock & Peter Reeves coach at my junior school (Alexander McLeod) ) and for Woolwich district. Therefore I am a classic ‘support your local team’ despite my dad being a gunner. Proud to say both my kids are passionate Addicks as well
  • Options
    3rd generation Addick.

Started going with my Dad in 1992, aged 5. With the exception of one Roland protest season, I’ve been a season ticket holder with him ever since.
  • Options
    Bad luck