Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Valley Pass Next Season

Does anyone know if VP will carry on next year?  I live in Berkshire and will always try to get to a home game, but it's not always possible.  

Wasn't there an EFL restriction on live games on saturday afternoons, pre-covid?   Would be very disappointed to lose it.  

Comments

• Options
    Dare say it will depend whether spectators are allowed fully back into grounds, especially if a possible new wave of the virus occurs. 
  • Options
    Worst case scenario I imagine it'll happen for midweek games

Saturday games at 3pm I reckon the blackout will return as smaller teams in League One and League Two alone need fans back in the grounds to be able to survive properly, let alone further down the pyramid - Allowing the likes of Charlton with a bigger fanbase to have their fans at home rather than in the away ends is, I feel, a bit of a death warrant for your Accringtons, Rochdales... Probably even the likes of Oxford.

It will be ridiculous if the blackout doesnt return as think it'll be the death of the English Football System - Fair enough keep it in the Premier League but outside of that Division, without a similar TV deal, clubs dont stand a chance!!

Evening games though, there isnt a blackout, last two seasons you've been allowed to purchase match streams for a Tuesday / Wednesday night game if you're here in England (think there have been roughly ten games) so reckon we'll see Scott Minto and Curbishley returning for those.

You never know they may do something for Games where they provide "studio" coverage up until 2:45pm and then those not attending on a Saturday, whether its home or away only get radio commentary the usual way when the game itself is going on.
  • Options
    Dare say it will depend whether spectators are allowed fully back into grounds, especially if a possible new wave of the virus occurs. 
    Indeed.  Apologies.   I should have clarified post-covid.  

But this is my first season with VP.  What was the original like in normal times (as far as games covered), before the TS upgrade?
  • Options
    Maybe the other fair approach will be that the Stream will be available Home or Away

But you dont pay £10 for the privilege, you pay the same rate that the fan attending the game pays

That way Accrington (if they only have an away stand that can accommodate 1,000 fans) potentially get the opportunity for even more ticket income because of the streaming passes that have been sold on top of those in attendance

Otherwise if they sell attending tickets for £20, tickets get sold on stream for £10 - What option are the majority of people going to take, especially with the latter you're getting an even better deal as you dont need to factor in the travelling / food costs etc.
  • Options
    Indeed.  Apologies.   I should have clarified post-covid.  

But this is my first season with VP.  What was the original like in normal times (as far as games covered), before the TS upgrade?
    Just watch an away game and thats it... Single camera, replays whenever some random trigger happy iFollow bloke wants and no punditry from Scott Minto / Alan Curbishley etc.
  • Options
    I thought as much.  We're really spoilt with this current coverage.   Will enjoy it while it's here and I understand the overall reasoning.  Very important to get as many people as possible back into the ground asap.   What a sight & sound that will be.
  • Options
    Like much else in society, the lockdown has changed football for ever, and it will be difficult to go back

For example, what will happen in the PL, where people will have got used to matches all being played at different times, and all being televised. Brilliant for overseas viewers who can watch every game. Will it really go back to have 5 games played at the same time?
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    All being well, as others have said, it'll be down to whether the Saturday 2.45-5.15 blackout is reinstated, which it probably will be. It's going to be interesting seeing how easily that genie goes back in the bottle, and how long for. 

Compared with others, we've been hugely spoiled with Valley Pass - both in terms of coverage quality and ease of use (basic iFollow services not working on Chromecast and early Apple TVs, for example).

As someone who's never really had Sky Sports, I'm a bit taken aback by how much I'm enjoying being an armchair fan though! And as far as the PL is concerned, I'm getting dangerously used to listening to Sunday night football on radio while working...

Of course, the high chance of some sort of third wave in autumn means we may all be back watching VP at some point whatever happens.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    In the 2019/20 season, if I wanted to watch a game from home, i just put a VPN on and then bought the game. As long as you are outside of the country you can watch. 
  • Options
    If circumstances allow I will buy a ground season ticket, re-join Valley Gold and re subscribe to Valley Pass. I will attend all home games, and as many away games as are practicable.
    If reduced to watching as now on a television set I will pay up, if restricted will try to find a way around those restrictions. I also plan to go to U21 matches if I can, and would pay for a stream if available, or hope for a free stream like Cardiff provided the other day.
    I would prefer not to rely on audio commentary, but would listen if there is no alternative (is anybody audio only at the moment? Steve Brown is great but judging from present circumstances if you’re only listening you miss a hell of a lot of the action, let alone very often vital info like substitutions).
    I am lucky enough to be able to afford it, and spending on Charlton is a better alternative for me than spending on holidays.
  • Options
    Does anyone know if VP will carry on next year?  I live in Berkshire and will always try to get to a home game, but it's not always possible.  

Wasn't there an EFL restriction on live games on saturday afternoons, pre-covid?   Would be very disappointed to lose it.  
    I think you'll probably end up needing to use a VPN to keep the service going, but I hope the pre & post match stuff can be made available to all, either on VP or Youtube. 
  • Options
    Just need to ensure that the cost of a ticket to go to a game is cheaper than the online version.

Even with a season ticket, I end up having to miss games, so if VP was to continue, I'd probably watch most games.

But then, I can imagine single figures for midweek away games up north in the middle of winter!
  • Options
    Like much else in society, the lockdown has changed football for ever, and it will be difficult to go back

For example, what will happen in the PL, where people will have got used to matches all being played at different times, and all being televised. Brilliant for overseas viewers who can watch every game. Will it really go back to have 5 games played at the same time?
    there were already few 3pm saturday games in prem and will be even less in future. Have mixed feelings whether I really want Charlton back in Prem. 7 pm Sunday night at Sheffield United anyone? 
  • Options
    As great as it is, it simply cannot continue on Saturday's once crowds are allowed to return.

I suspect it'll just revert back to how it was pre-covid and be available for mid-week fixtures. I'm still not a huge fan of that but at least now with it all being in house, the money will be Charlton's.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'm hoping it will continue. For me it is a 12 hour round trip to get to the valley so it is just not possible for all of the games. Plus if TS wants to expand the supporter base you cant ignore the potential thousands that like me cant get to all of the games. Put the price up to normal match ticket prices if need be but keep it going please.
  • Options
    Of course it will. We are going global baby!

We'll have fans from Austria to Zanzibar.
    Colorado to Cairns in the next 5 years.
    Hundreds of thousands of them if Thomas gets his way.

Minto's job safe for a good few years yet
  • Options
    It should stay as is.

What really needs to happen is pricing for match day tickets i.e. at the ground/in person needs to be reduced so that its not such a luxury spend and is generally more affordable for all.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    I don’t think Sky will be finished as far as Premier League coverage is concerned.

Over the past 30 odd years they’ve done a great job in selling the Premier League as a brand, meaning that people will want to watch it even if their own team is not involved.

For example, a Tottenham fan is still going to be very likely to want to watch Man United or Chelsea play because it is the ‘be all and end all Premier League’. 

However, a Charlton fan is less likely to willingly tune in to Rochdale vs AFC Wimbledon. Fans at League One level take more of an interest in their own club more than the overall league, in comparison to the PL.

Eventually Sky might need to look at dropping their prices to compete with services like Amazon Prime. 

Premier League fans for the most part are armchair/TV supporters, so I do expect that even going into next season there will be a continuation of every single game being aired live at staggered times. The Saturday 3pm will be pretty much gone.

The ‘big 6’ in that league have shown time and time again their only interest is profit/capitalisation, as opposed to protecting tradition. 
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    I suppose the question to be asked is whether it's financially worth it.

With some VERY speculative figures just to give an idea:

Current Matchday Income from regular CAFC supporters:
    Est Av 6,000 video passes at £10 a head = £60,000 a game or £1,380,000 a season. 

Potential 2021/2022 income from regular CAFC supporters:
    Est Av 15,000 fans 
    Est Av 8,000 Season Ticket holders
    Est Av 7,000 Regular T holders 

Est Av ST price per game £12 
    Est Av RT price per game £25 

£12 * 8000 = £96k
    £25 * 7000 = £175k

£271,000 * 23 = £6,233,000*

If we can then get say on average 2,000 "overseas" fans paying to watch over streams at £12 a head that's £24k or £552k

A POTENTIAL total of £552k a season towards running costs... A charity would be very pleased with that slice of income. 

If we end up reducing the number of attending fans as a result of being able to watch online, I'd be seriously surprised.

It'll likely be the regular ticket holders who are actually more likely to not buy tickets if they can watch online, ST holders will likely buy as normal and then any choice to not attend would actually be no cost. 
    *(This ignores any income the club may get from opposition viewers, away fans and sponsorships, it also ignores any running costs such as playing staff salaries, stewards, policing, security, non playing staff club salaries etc)
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    I suppose the question to be asked is whether it's financially worth it.

With some VERY speculative figures just to give an idea:

Current Matchday Income from regular CAFC supporters:
    Est Av 6,000 video passes at £10 a head = £60,000 a game or £1,380,000 a season. 

Potential 2021/2022 income from regular CAFC supporters:
    Est Av 15,000 fans 
    Est Av 8,000 Season Ticket holders
    Est Av 7,000 Regular T holders 

Est Av ST price per game £12 
    Est Av RT price per game £25 

£12 * 8000 = £96k
    £25 * 7000 = £175k

£271,000 * 23 = £6,233,000*

If we can then get say on average 2,000 "overseas" fans paying to watch over streams at £12 a head that's £24k or £552k

A POTENTIAL total of £552k a season towards running costs... A charity would be very pleased with that slice of income. 

If we end up reducing the number of attending fans as a result of being able to watch online, I'd be seriously surprised.

It'll likely be the regular ticket holders who are actually more likely to not buy tickets if they can watch online, ST holders will likely buy as normal and then any choice to not attend would actually be no cost. 
    *(This ignores any income the club may get from opposition viewers, away fans and sponsorships, it also ignores any running costs such as playing staff salaries, stewards, policing, security, non playing staff club salaries etc)
    I take you point mate but there are alot of fans like me that just cant get to every game due to distance. Not a chance that it would stop me going when I can but to still be able to watch via the stream when I cant get there would be a massive bonus for me. I would happily pay the normal match ticket price personally
  • Options

Get yourself a VPN and pretend you live in the USA. You’ll then have access to all the games, home and away 
  • Options
    _MrDick said:

Get yourself a VPN and pretend you live in the USA. You’ll then have access to all the games, home and away 
    I get the idea that they have become much more efficient at checking things out, have no idea how though.
    I just remember that last season some folks setting up new VPN were having difficulty picking up a signal.