Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Favourite charlton game in recent times

What is everyone's favourite charlton game in say the last 3 years? can be for any reason.
For me Blackburn away, first game everyone has written us off and we went a won

Comments

• Options
    Donny play-off for me to.
  • Options
    From each of the last three years for ease:

This year so far: Oxford at home, best performance for me by far
    Last season: Derby at home... Played them off the park
    2018/19: Doncaster in the Play-Offs at the Valley
  • Options

For this season I'd say 5 2 wimbledon 
    I hated the doncaster game if I'm honest, 3 hours of abject anxiety and after we won i still didn't fancy us against Sunderland, it felt we were only halfway there. Some good ones from that season for me was 4 nil vs Rochdale to secure 3rd place against the odds, underrated factor in our promotion. Southend away, started a 5 game winning run when we were about 10th, and of course Luton at home, one of the finest 2nd half performances I've ever seen, it was scary how good we were.
  • Options
    Donny away -Play off first leg -Such a Great day out
    Forest home in the first half- best foot I had seen Charlton play for many a year.
    Shame and the game is played over 90 minutes which has been a big problem for us this season
  • Options

I hated the doncaster game if I'm honest, 3 hours of abject anxiety and after we won i still didn't fancy us against Sunderland, it felt we were only halfway there. Some good ones from that season for me was 4 nil vs Rochdale to secure 3rd place against the odds, underrated factor in our promotion. Southend away, started a 5 game winning run when we were about 10th, and of course Luton at home, one of the finest 2nd half performances I've ever seen, it was scary how good we were.
    Yeah that 4-0 win over Rochdale was the highlight of the regular season for me

Hated that Southend away game though - Picked Oxford over Wimbledon as the former just feels like its the one game where everything fell into place in terms of how everyone played, even when Inniss got sent off I had absolutely no concerns
  • Options

Apart from Donny's last penalty miss, I hated that game too. Was convinced we'd fuck it up throughout the 2nd half and extra time and was more surprised than delighted when we won at the end.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Picking one game from the last 3 seasons

This season - the 5-2 over Wimbledon. Yes it was only one half, but better for it to be the second than the first!

2019/20 - the 3-0 over Derby. To beat a "big team" so comprehensively was such a statement of intent.

2018/19 - the 3-1 over Luton in April. A real sign that we were good enough to beat anyone in the division, including the leaders who had been on a 28 game unbeaten run - crucial with the playoffs in mind. Shinnie sent off near the end AND we did a Golfie that day  :D

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47836021
  • Options

I'd forgotten that the 4 nil on the last day meant we pipped Pompey and Sunderland on GD
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Doncaster at home in the play-offs. No other game comes close 
    This ... after god knows who many years of supporting Charlton, we get a proper pitch invasion AND I’M STUCK IN THE WEST UPPER ADMIRING IT FROM AFAR 🙄
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Rochdale 4-0, we were in a rich vein of form and I had no anxiety at all that things wouldn't work out for us.  From Donny going 2-1 up two games later, the rest of the season was fraught.  I don't think I relaxed again until the BFG's heroics.
  • Options
    _MrDick said:
    This ... after god knows who many years of supporting Charlton, we get a proper pitch invasion AND I’M STUCK IN THE WEST UPPER ADMIRING IT FROM AFAR 🙄
    I’ll never forget running on to the pitch with my partner and hugging strangers. Years of shit wiped away by one evening of magic. 

It’s one of the purest forms of human connection that very few get to experience in a lifetime. I miss football.
  • Options
    Taking the play-offs out, there are still a few I enjoyed a lot.

Both 3-1 victories over Luton.
    Beating Derby 3-0
    Bristol City on Boxing Day
    Blackburn on the first day of last season as already mentioned, arsehole of a journey that day but well worth it.
  • Options

This season -  Charlton 5 - 2 AFC Wimbledon

Last season - Charlton 3-0 Derby

18/19 - Play off final. It doesn't get more dramatic than scoring an own goal, then cancelling it out before a last minute winner. 

• Options
    Donnie
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    1st half at home against Forest was pretty awesome.....just a shame we couldn't do it for the full 90 mins.

The final game of the regular season against Rochdale was enjoyable as we were safely in the play offs & probably didnt think we would get 3rd. The 4th goal capped off a great display & sealed us playing Donny & a more favourable away/home leg situation. 

But the 2nd leg against Donny had it all. From the 2nd minute goal (where I thought we had it in the bag) to then letting in a 88th min goal to send it into extra time......to then actually going behind on aggregate, and then levelling soon after to the heart stopping penalty shoot out (esp when Sarr just had to score to send us through). 120 mins of pulsating, end to end, nail biting football. Just wish we'd had gone onto the pitch afterwards.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Aside from the play-off second leg...

Has to be 3-1 victory against Luton at home 18/19. Sun was shining, real excitement around the team pushing towards promotion. Luton unbeaten in 25 games. First half we were excellent but with some awful refereeing decisions found ourselves 1 nil down at half time.

Showed not just determination but some fantastic quality in that second half to carve Luton open, Bielik at his imperious best. The atmosphere at the Valley during games that year was really special in general but particularly during that match. Felt on top of the world walking away from the stadium afterwards. Feel very priviliged to have been able to experience that entire season.
  • Options
    Donny at home in the play offs. A game which you literally experienced every emotion known to mankind. 
  • Options
    I'll go for something different to everyone else  - Derby and Swansea away last xmas. I know we lost both but we made a great atmosphere. Its one of the problems we've had this season  - you just have to watch every soddin game through a screen and don't have the added value of making a row. Sunderland away first game of our promotion season. I know we lost that one too, but it just felt like we had something special going on. Again great sounds from us.
  • Options
    _MrDick said:
    This ... after god knows who many years of supporting Charlton, we get a proper pitch invasion AND I’M STUCK IN THE WEST UPPER TUT-TUTTING IT FROM AFAR 🙄
    Corrected
  • Options
    Forest away last season is up there.

Really loud following with plenty of piss taking, battling performance on the pitch, proper old school ground, not getting home till late. All the things I miss about following Charlton.
    That was a great evening. Quality goal as well

It was really enjoyable last season going to "proper" football grounds, ones with size and history
  • Options
    Favourite home game was Donny play-off,  favourite away was QPR for Nabby's equalizer, match itself wasn't great but when the goal went in every one around us went mental.
  • Options
    Taking away play-off Donny/Sunderland 

Blackburn away was special (despite the shitty journey as mentioned by others) because, just for a while, I thought we could easily stay up

Best was probably the Luton home game as we had travelled up with a bunch of hatters and treated them to a crawl from Waterloo to London Bridge, then when we met up after the game they conceded that we’d deserved the win

Honourably mentions to Pompey away and Wombles at home this season (just because it was the last live game I saw)