Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

2022 World Cup qualifiers thread

Comments

• An emotional rollercoaster of a match at Hampden - I honestly feel drained!

• Went to the game tonight and Northern Ireland were time wasting from minute one, a yellow card was on its way. No sympathy for them at all.

On another note, Washington had one of only two shots for Northern Ireland and he played reasonably well but with no support even before the red card.
  • edited October 2021
    Blinding result for Scotland - they should get a playoff spot now 
    Northern Ireland and roi wc qualification is over roi in particular have been a real shower and how that man is still in a job I do not know 

watched England game thought sancho was a silly booking and foden was lucky not to get one for blasting the ball away at ht. 
  • se9addick said:
    An emotional rollercoaster of a match at Hampden - I honestly feel drained!

Isnt Bonne from Zimbabwe? - there is no "i" in his surname either 
  • With Connor Roberts back, Gunter is on the bench tonight for Wales
  • Gunter came on in the 83rd minute for his 500th cap

• I'm baffled why we haven't seen the Gunter who plays for Wales, play for us like that
    Are you Welsh? I notice a lot of your posts are regarding Wales.
    If you are, I'm wondering if you know somebody called Bethan? You must know her. Lived in New X in the late 90s.
    Welsh as as daffodil. She was at most Charlton games. 
    If you are, I'm wondering if you know somebody called Bethan? You must know her. Lived in New X in the late 90s.
    No not Welsh! Got some Irish blood in me though

Just highlighting games where OUR players are involved, even if Gunter playing for Wales somehow is less inspiring than when previous Charlton players were called up

• I'm baffled why we haven't seen the Gunter who plays for Wales, play for us like that
    Because he doesn't care about us. We're a paycheck. 
  • Sponsored links:

Just highlighting games where OUR players are involved, even if Gunter playing for Wales somehow is less inspiring than when previous Charlton players were called up
     No offence meant it was just a question but lGunter is stealing a wage n my opinion. 

• Germany have qualified and are the first nation to do so outside of the hosts Qatar.
  • Germany have qualified and are the first nation to do so outside of the hosts Qatar.
    Germany look really good under Hansi Flick, he's even got Werner scoring goals. 

Similar to England they've decided to go with a more youthful approach, only 3 players (Neuer, Muller and Reus) in their squad over 30 and last night they played 3 teenagers. They're going to be really strong at the world cup.
    Looks like Denmark will be the second Nation to qualify if they beat Austria tonight

Or if they better Scotland's result against the Faroe Islands

We'll have to wait until the next International Break ourselves, win tonight and we go to 22-pts; Albania v Poland means the winner will remain within 6-pts of us, whereas a draw will see Albania exactly 6-pts behind us... Its a formality anyway seeing that we've still got to face San Marino.

I do like this Qualifying format now where its completed across the calender year rather than spread out - But then thats partly down to the fact that friendlies have been all but removed so helps.

No offence meant it was just a question but lGunter is stealing a wage n my opinion. 

To me there's a touch of the Bale banner - Wales, Golf, Madrid - about Gunter, in that while it's good for players to be dedicated to their country, you feel that Wales is his major priority, and we're (to an extent) the means by which he keeps himself match fit to stay in the Wales team.
  • edited October 2021
    Lebanon just gone 3-1 up against Syria.

Hopefully we'll see Hady Ghandour on from the bench if it stays like this

Shame that the latter havent kicked on after their last World Cup Qualifying campaign
  • edited October 2021
    Jesus wept... People talk about referees making slow VAR calls over here - Referee has watched the replays of a Syrian penalty appeal for nearly five minutes on the screen before finally FINALLY refusing to give it.

Oh jesus they've got to decide on an offside call now... We might get Ghandour back this season!!

Goal given; Syria 2-3 Lebanon now with 30mins to play (and a lot of injury time no doubt)
  • Syria v Lebanon - what could possibly go wrong?
  • Oh what drama... Syria hit the bar with the last kick of the game.

Thats what Lebanon get for leaving Ghandour on the bench

Win puts them in a great place for getting through to the Play-Off rounds though

Japan beat Australia earlier in a must win game for them

Is Australia v Saudi Arabia in the next round of games come November so pressure on the Aussies now.
  • Conor Washington starts for N Ireland tonight in Bulgaria, Arter on the bench again for the Republic's friendly against Qatar
  • Sponsored links:

• Conor Washington starts for N Ireland tonight in Bulgaria, Arter on the bench again for the Republic's friendly against Qatar
    Shows our luck is changing... Any other season and Washington doing an overhead kick would have seen him injured for the rest of the campaign

Because he doesn't care about us. We're a paycheck. 
    Yeah, he's not far behind Hasselwank now on my all-time villain list.
  • Washington makes it 1-0 for Northern Ireland 
  • Scotland have played poorly so far against the Faroes. 50 mins gone and 0-0 but Scotland were fortunate not to be losing at half time. 
  • N Ireland now 2-1 down
  • Still nil nil in the Scotland game. They desperately need a goal or they're looking for results against Moldova and (more problematically) against Denmark.
  • Still nil nil in the Scotland game. They desperately need a goal or they're looking for results against Moldova and (more problematically) against Denmark.
    It’s been very, very bad from Scotland.
  • Thank God, 1-0 to Scotland 
  • Yup, pulled it out the bag again. Just a win against Moldova from here would secure play-offs.
  • Hopefully its Scotland v Wales in the Play-Offs so we get another Home Nation at the World Cup with us for once.