Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

2022 World Cup qualifiers thread

Comments

• Options
    edited November 2021
    Assuming the rules for setting up the groups are similar to previous world cups, I guess there's likely to be a rule that no more than 2 European countries go in one group, and no two from any other confederation? If so, given how many European countries look like being in pot 2, it's quite likely we'll get a European opponent from that pot and therefore not get a European from a lower pot? Just thinking here about where Scotland or Wales may end up in the event either of them makes it through the playoffs.
    Good point. If you were hoping for a draw with Wales or Scotland, I think Mexico and USA (when they qualify) are probably our best bets from pot 2. That would open the door to being drawn with a “weaker” European nation from pot 3 or 4.
  • Options
    From Wales and Scotland’s perspective, I suppose you’re looking at a combo (as an example) of England/Mexico, or Brazil/Croatia, or even Qatar/USA potentially as there will be three groups with only one European team in it.

13 UEFA teams -> five groups with two, three groups with one
  • Options
    Would be good if a couple of those nations can miss out. Do not like the look of Uruguay and Colombia being in pot 3.
    They’re both toilet. South American football is shocking. Outside of 3/4 possible European nations, there is nothing to fear.
    Uruguay knocked us out in 2014 and Colombia came within a whisker in 2018. They're not 'toilet' and South American qualifying is the most tough and competitive around. Brazil and Argentina are looking pretty strong again too. We should have enough to beat the lot of them but you can't go writing off strong footballing nations. 
    7 Years ago!
  • Options
    Heat could be the most challenging aspect in Qatar

Could well be a similar tournament for us like in Brazil where we just struggled to cope out there

Would expect the South Americans to deal with it better than us
  • Options
    The average temperature in Qatar in Decemeber is 24. Shouldn't be an issue.
  • Options
    Being half Italian, I support England, then Italy just below them. But ultimately I support Charlton and I was willing that Washington effort to go in. I often have to explain who Charlton are when I am in Italy and it would have been nice to say remember when Northern Ireland beat you, the goal scorer played for/plays for Charlton!
  • Options
    This squad is light years ahead of the one we had in 2014
  • Options
    Being half Italian, I support England, then Italy just below them. But ultimately I support Charlton and I was willing that Washington effort to go in. I often have to explain who Charlton are when I am in Italy and it would have been nice to say remember when Northern Ireland beat you, the goal scorer played for/plays for Charlton!
    About 20 years ago I was in a group watching England-Denmark, and I well remember the confused looks I got when Claus Jensen almost scored for Denmark and I reacted as I would have done if he'd done that for Charlton.
  • Options
    Let's hope that this type of thing is not going to happen in hospitable, friendly Qatar during the W C .. Australian women sue over Qatar airport strip-searches - BBC News
  • Options
    Let's hope that this type of thing is not going to happen in hospitable, friendly Qatar during the W C .. Australian women sue over Qatar airport strip-searches - BBC News
    They've got no idea. Invite a Sheila around for some coldies from the Bottle-o and she'll strip, no worries mate.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2021
    Australia goalless so far in the first half against China & they need a win ideally. A home draw with Saudi Arabia five days ago wasn't ideal and Japan are catching up quickly after their own rocky start. Both teams will want to avoid going through a play-off...
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    Australia goalless so far in the first half against China & they need a win ideally. A home draw with Saudi Arabia five days ago wasn't ideal and Japan are catching up quickly after their own rocky start. Both teams will want to avoid going through a play-off...
    The Play-Off against the team from the other Group SHOULD be manageable though...

Will be one from United Arab Emirates | Lebanon | Syria | Iraq

Although saying that they could then yet end up facing a South American side in the Inter-Continental Stage

Notice Lebanon lost thanks to an 85th minute penalty (temporarily) handing UAE the Play-Off spot earlier

They've thrown away four points in the dying stages of their last two games
  • Options
    Ended in a 1-1 draw.
  • Options
    Nervous last ten minutes for the Dutch who are still 0-0 with Norway.

If the result stands, they'll top the group and be heading to the World Cup. If they concede, they will miss out on not only the group winners spot, but also the play-offs.
  • Options
    Finland losing 2-0 to France and Ukraine winning 2-0 over Bosnia will mean that Ukraine are into the play-offs at the expense of the Finns.
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    That's the goal the Netherlands needed. That likely confirms their place at the World Cup with Turkey into the play-offs.

Mad to see a game behind closed doors again... thought we were past all that. :-(
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    Wales heading towards a 1-1 draw with Belgium, with six mins of added time to play. Think they need a win to get a seed for the play-offs?
  • Options
    Commentator says that a point for Wales is enough to guarantee them a seed. 
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    Wales heading towards a 1-1 draw with Belgium, with six mins of added time to play. Think they need a win to get a seed for the play-offs?
    No sorry just realised I wasn't looking at the live table, a draw puts them above Poland as they're both on 14-pts

A draw puts Wales on 15-pts
  • Options

In the last week, Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland have faced the last two European champions, Euro 2020 semi-finalists & the No. 1 ranked team in the world and gone unbeaten while only conceding one goal.

— Richard Jolly (@RichJolly) November 16, 2021
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2021
    Confirmation of UEFA play-off seeding then...

SEEDED: Portugal, Scotland, Italy, Russia, Sweden, Wales
    UNSEEDED: Turkey, Poland, North Macedonia, Ukraine, Austria, Czech Republic

These are single leg games, the seeded teams will get a home semi-final against an unseeded team. The home team for the three "finals" will be determined by a draw.

All six seeds will be hoping for a home game against North Macedonia I'm sure.

Three of the above teams will join Serbia, Spain, Switzerland, France, Belgium, Denmark, Netherlands, Croatia, England and Germany at the World Cup.
  • Options
    Confirmation of UEFA play-off seeding then...

SEEDED: Portugal, Scotland, Italy, Russia, Sweden, Wales
    UNSEEDED: Turkey, Poland, North Macedonia, Ukraine, Austria, Czech Republic

Three of the above teams will join Serbia, Spain, Switzerland, France, Belgium, Denmark, Netherlands, Croatia, England and Germany at the World Cup.
    Scotland and Wales will be both praying that they're paired with Russia | North Macedonia | Ukraine

Surely got to be the easiest draw possible
  • Options
    Quite tickled by the FAW playing Yma O Hyd over the tannoy (great singalong song, but intensely nationalistic, popular with the pro-independence lot and not what you'd expect from the establishment), then the fans singing Don't Take Me Home, which is a song shared with England. Very South Wales, that.
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    Would be brilliant if it ended up Scotland v Wales for a place.
  • Options
    Bolivia have beaten Uruguay 3-0 at home tonight.

Difficult place to go what with Bolivia playing at altitude

Makes the fight for the last automatic spot from South America very tight at the moment; Chile | Colombia | Uruguay are on 16-pts | Peru (14-pts) Bolivia (15-pts) | Paraguay (12-pts)

Although from that only Bolivia / Uruguay have played tonight so far.
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    I presume Russia / Ukraine cant be drawn together because of political reasons

• Options
    I presume Russia / Ukraine cant be drawn together because of political reasons

Yes. UEFA maintain a list of pairings that can't come up during the qualifying stages (Spain and Gibraltar is another, plus several countries can't play Serbia due to various recent-ish wars). 
  • Options
    Decided to give the Canada vs. Mexico game a miss tonight due to complications around childcare but a mate just sent me this picture. We had the first major snow fall of the year yesterday/today about 6” in 18 hours that only stopped about 3 hours ago. It’s currently-8deg C (feels like -14 with wind chill). Forecast to hit -11 by full time. 

Match is ON.

• Options
    Canada 1-0 up at HT and currently now top of the group.

USA drew 1-1 with Jamaica earlier, Michail Antonio got the Jamaica goal.
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    2-0 Canada..! Looks to have been a smart move from the Canadian FA to get this match played.