Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

2022 World Cup qualifiers thread

Comments

• Options
    Ok so this begs the question... If it was England - win the euros but miss two straight world cups? Worth it? 
  • Options
    Italy lack finishers. They have good technical players and defend well but I think England played into their hands in the Final by trying to keep what they had. Same as they did against Croatia in the World Cup.
  • Options
    Does make losing to them in a final feel a little bit worse tho 
    Seen a lot of this tonight, but the Italy in the Euros was clearly very different from whatever it is they’ve become in the last 6 months.

In the lead up to that tournament, and in most of the games themselves, they did look a cut above.
  • Options
    Ok so this begs the question... If it was England - win the euros but miss two straight world cups? Worth it? 
    Na not the position we are in. Dont think theres a better international team at the moment than us.
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    https://youtu.be/jorI-5EjWU0

Marvellous watch...
  • Options
    The next earliest opportunity Italy will have to win a World Cup finals knock out game, will be 20(TWENTY) years after their last in 2006. Beyond belief that would be the case for one of the international powerhouses. 
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    Seen a lot of this tonight, but the Italy in the Euros was clearly very different from whatever it is they’ve become in the last 6 months.

In the lead up to that tournament, and in most of the games themselves, they did look a cut above.
    They had an easy group, limped through against Austria, good result v Belgium and won on pens against an average Spain. We should of beat them.
  • Options
    Yep.
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    The chance to win the Euros on home soil over a semi final defeat against the Croats and a more than likely non win in the next World Cup yes all day long take the Euro win on home soil , bird in the hand and all that

Edit : Ive not read it properly and it's late , yes Euro win and no World Cup appearance take it all day long .... 
  • Options
    cafctom said:

They had an easy group, limped through against Austria, good result v Belgium and won on pens against an average Spain. We should of beat them.
    Any team that beats Belgium, Spain and England in consecutive matches, must be pretty decent. Shocking how they've fallen off a cliff since then
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I have not been able to catch the scores all afternoon. What on earth has gone on in Palermo... my word
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    UAE lost a very important match against Iraq earlier in the day. That has left the door open for Iraq to jump into the play-off round ahead of the UAE.

With one game left to play, UAE have to face South Korea. If they were to lose or draw against the Koreans, that would leave the door open for the Iraqis if they can win against Syria. Those matches will be played on the afternoon on the 29th back to back (UAE v South Korea at 2:30pm UK time followed by Syria v Iraq at 5:00pm UK time).
  • Options
    If you need something to watch overnight, my recommendations are

Uruguay v Peru (kick off in 40 minutes)
    Mexico v USA (kick off 2am UK time)
  • Options
    cafctom said:

Any team that beats Belgium, Spain and England in consecutive matches, must be pretty decent. Shocking how they've fallen off a cliff since then
    Don’t get me wrong, that’s a great achievement but they were workman like and luck was on their side. I just think they got blown up a bit and now the lucks run out.
  • Options
    Tomorrow is the first leg of the African playoffs:

DR Congo v Morocco (3pm UK time)
    Cameroon v Algeria (5pm UK time)
    Mali v Tunisia (5pm UK time)
    Egypt v Senegal (7:30pm UK time)
    Ghana v Nigeria (7:30pm UK time)
  • Options
    cafctom said:

Too many draws and don't score enough. A tough side to beat and should have taken their chances tonight.

Only Spain other than North Macedonia have beaten them in the last couple of years.
  • Options
    International breaks like this one where there are numerous big games that have qualification riding on them are great. 

I woke up this morning and had Japan vs Australia on at 9am!
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    Uruguay 1-0 Peru with a little over 20 minutes left to play.
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    Less than 10 minutes to go. If the score stays the same, both Uruguay and Ecuador qualify for the World Cup. It would leave Peru, Colombia and Chile fighting for the play-off place.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2022
    FT 1-0 and the CONMEBOL automatic qualifiers are finalized.

Brazil, Argentina, Ecuador, Uruguay heading to the World Cup.

Play-off place to be determined when the final round of fixtures are played on the 29th.

Peru 21pts

Colombia 20pts
    Chile 19pts

Peru v Paraguay
    Venezuela v Colombia
    Chile v Uruguay
  • Options
    There is a player playing in this round of qualifying who has a parent who is the head of a countey different to the country he is representing. 

Name that player. 

And for bonus points, name that parent.

This one might be too easy. Also, I'm trying to think if something like this has ever happened before. 
  • Options
    Tim and George Weah. Come on. :-)
  • Options
    I almost said you specifically couldn't answer because I knew you would get it. 
  • Options
    SDAddick said:
    I almost said you specifically couldn't answer because I knew you would get it. 
    Oops. Sorry!
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    A nil nil draw between Mexico and the US while Costa Rica inflict Canada’s first defeat. Elsewhere, Panama were held to a 1-1 draw by Honduras.

- Canada only need one more point from Jamaica and Panama to qualify. 
    - Mexico will be feeling confident of picking up the four points they would need from Honduras and El Salvador.
    - Even if the US beat Panama at home in a few days, they may still have to go to Costa Rica and get a point to guarantee qualification. Although they do have goal difference in their favour.

Canada 25pts
    USA 22pts
    Mexico 22pts
    -
    Costa Rica 19pts
    -
    Panama 18pts

Two games to play…

27 March:
    Canada v Jamaica
    El Salvador v Costa Rica
    USA v Panama
    Honduras v Mexico

30 March:
    Panama v Canada
    Mexico v El Salvador
    Costa Rica v USA
  • Options
    Tough one because in 15-20 years time you'd always be able to look back and say remember when we won the Euro's. In 20 years time Italians will still remember winning the Euro's and won't care they didn't go to the world cup a year later.

But in the actual present day missing 2 consecutive world cups is huge, especially these days when 32 countries qualify. Watching a major tournament and not being a part of it is shit.
  • Options
    Tough one because in 15-20 years time you'd always be able to look back and say remember when we won the Euro's. In 20 years time Italians will still remember winning the Euro's and won't care they didn't go to the world cup a year later.

But in the actual present day missing 2 consecutive world cups is huge, especially these days when 32 countries qualify. Watching a major tournament and not being a part of it is shit.
    Spot on, I think immediately it would feel rubbish not to be involved in the World Cup, however years down the line we can say we was there/around when we won the Euros. Too date only people over 54 were alive, yet add another 10 years for those that remember it vividly you would guess. 

Before I read your post I was thinking i'd rather qualify for both but now i don't lol 
  • Options

Euro2008 was still a really good tournament to watch etc.