Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

2022 World Cup qualifiers thread

Comments

• Options
    likely to be a lot of "legends" last world cup 

messi 
    ronaldo 

chiellini wont get the chance unfortunately although it was a foul on saka 
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    Does make losing to them in a final feel a little bit worse tho 
    Seen a lot of this tonight, but the Italy in the Euros was clearly very different from whatever it is they’ve become in the last 6 months.

In the lead up to that tournament, and in most of the games themselves, they did look a cut above.
    They had an easy group, limped through against Austria, good result v Belgium and won on pens against an average Spain. We should of beat them.
    Any team that beats Belgium, Spain and England in consecutive matches, must be pretty decent. Shocking how they've fallen off a cliff since then
    spain really arent the team they once were - european football in general has really come on for a lot of nations 
  • Options
    Ok so this begs the question... If it was England - win the euros but miss two straight world cups? Worth it? 
    That reminds me of both when Leicester won the FA Cup and just missed out on 4th, and when Wigan won the FA Cup and then got relegated a few days later

Personally I'd take the trophy. 
  • Options
    Did Gunter play last night? It is in our interest to renew his contract and he gets called up.

• Options
    jbaker said:
    Did Gunter play last night? It is in our interest to renew his contract and he gets called up. 
    Was an unused sub
  • Options
    Is Cullen good enough to play in the prem? Not so sure for me. 
  • Options
    jbaker said:

?
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    Ok so this begs the question... If it was England - win the euros but miss two straight world cups? Worth it? 
    That reminds me of both when Leicester won the FA Cup and just missed out on 4th, and when Wigan won the FA Cup and then got relegated a few days later

Personally I'd take the trophy. 
    Understand where you are coming from, Think I agree with yourself and the others on this one.

I do wonder how failure to qualify for two consecutive world cups might effect their status as a seed going forwards in future WC qualifying groups. Could become a tough hole to get out of if they end up being bumped down to a second seed in future off the back of this.

Edit scratch that, just looked it up - its done on fifa world rankings not previous qualification.
  • Options
    Tomorrow is the first leg of the African playoffs:

DR Congo v Morocco (3pm UK time)
    Cameroon v Algeria (5pm UK time)
    Mali v Tunisia (5pm UK time)
    Egypt v Senegal (7:30pm UK time)
    Ghana v Nigeria (7:30pm UK time)
    DR Congo 1-1 Morocco FT
    Cameroon 0-1 Algeria FT
    Mali 0-1 Tunisia FT

Egypt 1-0 Senegal (30 mins)
    Ghana 0-0 Nigeria (30 mins)

Second legs to be played in a few days time.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2022
    Egypt 1-0 Senegal FT
    Ghana 0-0 Nigeria FT

Aribo (no.10) and Lookman (no.12) both featured for Nigeria
  • Options
    Argentina just beat Venezuela 3-0. No bearing on qualification. Argentina are already qualified and Venezuela are already out of the picture.
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    Qualifying resumes on Sunday evening with the penultimate CONCACAF games:

Canada v Jamaica (9pm U.K. time)
    El Salvador v Costa Rica (10pm U.K. time)
    USA v Panama (midnight U.K. time)
    Honduras v Mexico (midnight U.K. time)

- Canada only need a point to confirm their second ever WC appearance (after ‘86).

- USA and Mexico will both be hoping for wins and a stress free final round of fixtures. Mexico should manage it against Honduras but I have a feeling Panama won’t be easy to breakdown.

If Costa Rica win their game and the US can’t beat Panama, it would all be resting on the next and last fixture, which happens to be between the two sides.
  • Options
    Tough one because in 15-20 years time you'd always be able to look back and say remember when we won the Euro's. In 20 years time Italians will still remember winning the Euro's and won't care they didn't go to the world cup a year later.

But in the actual present day missing 2 consecutive world cups is huge, especially these days when 32 countries qualify. Watching a major tournament and not being a part of it is shit.
    It's what we went through in the 70's.
  • Options
    Argentina just beat Venezuela 3-0. No bearing on qualification. Argentina are already qualified and Venezuela are already out of the picture.
    Messi was absolutely outstanding, which kind of shines a light on just how bad Pochettino and his tactics have been at PSG this season.
  • Options
    I don't have much sympathy for Bale being called out by the Spanish media. It makes me think of Chris Gunter. There is definitely a generation of Wales players who are only interested in playing for Wales.
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    There was some interest in the NZ matches.
    Attendances depend on the team, there are 3 maybe 4 'big' clubs here that can get up to 10k a couple of times a season, but in general the numbers are fairly low for the league,  Cup finals are usually full though. Too many Barca, ManU supporters here and everything is shown live on tv.
    Besides Qatar, do you expect Saudi Arabia to have a big turnout in numbers at the tournament? I know it’s a neighbouring country but wasn’t too sure if there was much following for the international side in the region at all.
    Yeah i think there will be a fair few heading across from Saudi for their matches. Its good for the tournament that the Saudis have qualified.
  • Options
    iaitch said:
    cafctom said:
    Attendances depend on the team, there are 3 maybe 4 'big' clubs here that can get up to 10k a couple of times a season, but in general the numbers are fairly low for the league,  Cup finals are usually full though. Too many Barca, ManU supporters here and everything is shown live on tv.
    Besides Qatar, do you expect Saudi Arabia to have a big turnout in numbers at the tournament? I know it’s a neighbouring country but wasn’t too sure if there was much following for the international side in the region at all.
    Not sure there's much love lost between Saudi and Qatar.
    Best mates again now though.
  • Options
    iaitch said:
    cafctom said:
    Not sure there's much love lost between Saudi and Qatar.
    Qatar aren't close with the UAE either.
    Yeah still a bit prickly this one
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    I don't have much sympathy for Bale being called out by the Spanish media. It makes me think of Chris Gunter. There is definitely a generation of Wales players who are only interested in playing for Wales.
    I'm of a similar mindset with Bale. Someone of his quality, if fully committed like he always seems to be Wales, would make himself undroppable for pretty much any side in the world. Seems odd that these Madrid managers would all have some kind of vendetta against him. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Strange how Bale managed to play 34 games for Spurs back in 2020-21 though

Has only played five games for Madrid since.

That is one club I really do hate outside of England, their fans have never seemed to like Bale, even after he won them the Champions League in 2018 - They even had a love / hate relationship with Ronaldo at times.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Agree. The opposite to the days of Ryan Giggs who on more than a few occasions had a "knock" when it came time for a Wales call up, but was fine to play for Man U a week later.. 
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    Solomon Islands beat Papua New Guinea 3-2 today to advance to the Final

New Zealand are currently 0-0 with Tahiti, 60mins go.

Upset on the cards perhaps? - Maybe not, New Zealand just gone 1-0 up
  • Options
    New Zealand squeak through.

Solomon Islands vs New Zealand in the Final - Being played on Wednesday.

Winners to face the fourth placed team from CONCACAF
  • Options
    Scenes of the Canadian team bus arriving for their match against Jamaica were pretty amazing. They just need a draw to qualify for their first World Cup in decades (or they can lose and still qualify if other results go their way). Currently 1-0 up after 35 mins.

https://twitter.com/azorcanglobal/status/1508171305324986372?s=21&t=2tZyc1vKWASiDl2T5VNZ2A
  • Options
    Canada 3-0 up with less than 10 to go.
    Currently 1-1 in the El Salvador v Costa Rica game. Costa Rica fighting with Panama over 4th spot, who will go on to play NZ or Solomon Islands.
  • Options
    Would be a massive result for Mexico and the US if Costa Rica fail to win. They would be able to confirm their own qualification if they win.
  • Options
    As I say that, they score. 2-1 to Costa Rica.
  • Options
    Congratulations to Canada. First World Cup appearance in 36 years.