Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Cowleys V Mr Adkins

Having watched this cliche ridden interview I have to say I'm glad TS went with Mr Adkins.

Interviews don't of course reflect what is going to happen on the pitch but still I'm happy. Surprised the cowleys contract is only until the end of the season. Maybe Pompey aren't sure either ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kv0PX99cm68

Comments

• Options
    So glad we were not after them. 
    I know they have been successful, but they don’t seem to know how that happened.
  • Options
    Poor mans Ant And Dec. + 600 games in management If I heard right ? 
  • Options
    Poor mans Ant And Dec. + 600 games in management If I heard right ? 
    Yes think that's what they said 5 or 600 
  • Options
    This being a double act with your brother thing is a bit...weird.
  • Options
    Yes, this whole 'we come as a pair' is a bit odd. 
  • Options
    Yeah, would never have had Brian Clough having a partner. 
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    Yes, this whole 'we come as a pair' is a bit odd. 
    MrOneLung said:
    Yeah, would never have had Brian Clough having a partner. 
    It would be ok(ish) if one was the manager and the other was the assistant in the background, but doing the introductory interviews together and, as @mendonca says the “whole ‘we come as a pair’ thing” is strange behaviour.
  • Options
    Swerved the question about being long-ball merchants didn't they
  • Options
    Joint managers... Been there, done that 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    League One promotions:
    Cowleys 0
    Adkins 3

Championship promotions:
    Cowleys 0
    Adkins 1

Forward-looking statements are neither historical facts nor assurances of future performance. Instead, they are based only on our current beliefs, expectations and assumptions regarding the future of our business, future plans and strategies, projections, anticipated events and trends, the economy and other future conditions. Because forward-looking statements relate to the future, they are subject to inherent uncertainties, risks and changes in circumstances that are difficult to predict and many of which are outside of our control. Our actual results and financial condition may differ materially from those indicated in the forward-looking statements. Therefore you should not rely on any of these forward looking statements. The Company makes no express or implied representation or warranty as to the completeness of forward looking statements or, in the case of projections, as to their attainability or the accuracy and completeness of the assumptions from which they are derived. Factors that could cause actual results to materially differ from forward-looking statements include, but are not limited to, the need to obtain CE marking of new products, the acceptance of new products as well as existing products by doctors and hospitals, larger competitors with greater financial resources, the need to keep pace with technological changes, our dependence on the reimbursement for our products from health insurance companies, our dependence on third party manufacturers to produce our goods on time and to our specifications, implementation of our sales strategy including a strong direct sales force, the impact of COVID-19 on the global economy and other risks described in our filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission including but not limited to, our Annual Report on Form 10-K for the year ended December 31, 2019 as well as our quarterly reports on Form 10-Q and current reports on Form 8-K.

Any forward-looking statement made by us in this release is based only on information currently available to us and speaks only as of the date on which it is made. We undertake no obligation to publicly update any forward-looking statement, whether written or oral, that may be made from time to time, whether as a result of new information, future developments or otherwise.

• Options
    Current form.......

Cowleys 2, Adkins 0.

• Options
    Current form.......

Cowleys 2, Adkins 0.

Oh Golfie,  I have a lot of respect for your ability to remind us not to get too above ourselves but really?
  • Options
    League One promotions:
    Cowleys 0
    Adkins 3

Championship promotions:
    Cowleys 0
    Adkins 1

I'm not sure those stats are particularly relevant seeing that Adkins is 14 years older, so it's not unreasonable for him to have more "medals". On that basis you'd never appoint a young manager as there'll always be an older one who's achieved promotion already.

You could also counter with how long ago their last promotion was

Cowleys - 2 years
    Adkins - 9 years
  • Options
    League One promotions:
    Cowleys 0
    Adkins 3

Championship promotions:
    Cowleys 0
    Adkins 1

I'm not sure those stats are particularly relevant seeing that Adkins is 14 years older, so it's not unreasonable for him to have more "medals". On that basis you'd never appoint a young manager as there'll always be an older one who's achieved promotion already.

Cowleys - 2 years
    Adkins - 9 years
    League One promotions:
    Cowleys 0
    Adkins 3

Championship promotions:
    Cowleys 0
    Adkins 1

Cowleys - 2 years
    Adkins - 9 years
    You could - but we're not at their level
  • Options
    League One promotions:
    Cowleys 0
    Adkins 3

Championship promotions:
    Cowleys 0
    Adkins 1

Cowleys - 2 years
    Adkins - 9 years
    League One promotions:
    Cowleys 0
    Adkins 3

Championship promotions:
    Cowleys 0
    Adkins 1

Cowleys - 2 years
    Adkins - 9 years
    You could - but we're not at their level
    The reason the Cowleys have never been promoted from league 1 is because they have never been in it.

The won league 2 with Lincoln, then left in September.

You could flip it to number of relegations

Cowleys - 0
    Adkins - 1

Or number of full season in league 1 without getting promoted.

Cowleys - 0
    Adkins - 1

Or games won in England 

Cowleys - 340 
    Adkins - 227

Or Premier league games lost, or number of brothers, or shoe size.  There are no stats that prove either is significantly better than the other. 

The 4 biggest clubs in league 1 all changed their managers, all appointed there their own choice.  I don't think there were any serious links to the other jobs for any of them. 

It's highly likely that at least 2, maybe even all 4, won't get promoted this season.   The chances of all 4 getting promoted in the next 14 months is probably quite remote, which means some of them will fail. 

I think in the medium to long term Adkins is the most likely to get long term success, with us.   I don't know whether it's just his enthusiasm rubbing off but I am really looking forward to the next 2 years, even if it's in league 1.

• Options
    I’m not excited about Adkins but he deserves a fair crack of the whip.  
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Current form.......

Cowleys 2, Adkins 0.
    I wonder how many blood pressures you raise on a daily basis. I reckon about 150+
  • Options
    Adkins has done it with different clubs .. Cowley failed when they went to a bigger club 
  • Options
    mascot88 said:
    Joint managers... Been there, done that 

For what club/s?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Adkins has done it with different clubs .. Cowley failed when they went to a bigger club 
    They didn’t really fail .  Adkins’ last good season was 8 years ago. 
  • Options
    Where did cowley fail?
  • Options
    Tbh, I don't care about the Cowley's 
  • Options
    Charlton made a terrible mistake in not appointing the Cowleys. But so did Ipswich, which seemed geographically the perfect job for the brothers, and my club Sunderland.
    However all three clubs who spurned Danny and Nicky have made interesting appointments. Johnson looks set to take us up. I'd expect Cook to give Ipswich a good chance of promotion next season. I like Adkins and hope he can have you challenging in 21-22.
    It's just none of the three are as outstanding as the Cowleys. The constant reference to hoof-ball and ugly football by fans on various message-boards of each club was just a nonsense. It overlooked the most important criterion; they are a really good and successful management team.
  • Options
    Think of the confusion come the weekly press conference

Cawley providing an insight in what Cowley has to say - No thanks
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:
    This rhetoric seems to be repeated but is baseless. A good season is contextual, I would argue keeping hull up and stabilising them in mid table champ (after he left they immediately went down) are two good seasons that happened very recently.
    Firstly I only want what’s the best for Charlton, therefore I want Adkins to succeed. Also I’m not too worried about the Cowleys vs Adkins debate, time will tell on that one, but players make teams. Jarrod Bowen scored 14 to keep them up in 17 the next season he scored 22 with Adkins, he is then on his way to a big haul in 19/20 without Adkins (16 in 29 games) when they sold him to west ham in January and were relegated. I think it’s arguable to say that sale was what done for them.
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:
    This rhetoric seems to be repeated but is baseless. A good season is contextual, I would argue keeping hull up and stabilising them in mid table champ (after he left they immediately went down) are two good seasons that happened very recently.
    It’s not baseless .  I’m not excited about what he did at Hull- they had a good side with good players that were underachieving; indeed, a front three of Bowen, Grosicki and Campbell scored over 40 goals between them. 

I badly want Adkins to succeed - I’m just not excited about the appointment.