Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Match Thread: Doncaster v Charlton | Good Friday | April 2nd: 12:30pm

Comments

• Options
    Going to give both Ronnie / Albie the benefit of the doubt this week

Away from home, Nigel might be going for a more cautious approach, at home we might see something different
  • Options
    Shame about Schwartz. Is the writing on the wall?

Also looks like another manager doesn’t rate Albie quite as highly as the fanbase does.
    I am afraid nobody will convince me that AM isn’t better than all of our midfielders, bar maybe JFC at his best.
  • Options
    Gawd knows what formation we’ll play 🤔
    All of them ...... you bet! :smile:

• Options
    I'd imagine that's primarily 3 centre backs, possibly with license to roam for Purrington. Maatsen probably better suited at the moment to playing as a wing back than orthodox left back and Matthews has offered more doing the same for us than Gunter.

Really interested to see if Gilbey can be the player that won two POTY's for MK. Perhaps DJ will have a free role supporting Stockley with the width mostly supplied by the wing backs. I don't think this necessarily has to be a negative line-up but we do need to stop conceding two a game (although admittedly that's been a lot better away). 
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Just seen we're wearing blue 🤢
    Yuk.

That's throwing a Spanner into the works.
  • Options
    I think that’s the end of Ronnie.
    I wouldn't be so sure. Horses for courses, and all that.

• Options
    edited April 2021
    A line up that had Bowyer picked the world and his wife would have gone nuts.

Now it’s ‘interesting’ 
    More out of shock rather than anticipation
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:

Also looks like another manager doesn’t rate Albie quite as highly as the fanbase does.
    I am afraid nobody will convince me that AM isn’t better than all of our midfielders, bar maybe JFC at his best.
    I suppose there is talent there but it’s not just Lee and Nige either. He couldn’t get a football league loan earlier this season... thats 47 other L1/L2 managers that didn’t fancy it.

I don’t want to get down on him too much because I think he’s already improved as a player since Sep/Oct but you do start to wonder.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Now it’s ‘interesting’ 
    May well be going nuts at full time  ;)
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    wmcf123 said:
    Well that's not even close to a line up I would have imagined. Excited to see how it plays out. 
    Do you remember “odd kid” from the Fast Show ? “When I grow up, I want to see Ben Purrington and Darren Pratley play in a 4-5-1 formation .”
    Or its a new formation, under a new manager, at the start of a new journey. Of course it might turn out to be crap and turgid today, or it could be the opposite. Whatever it is, it's something different to what we have had to deal with in the last 18 months - and I find that an exciting prospect as a Charlton fan. 

So why is that odd? 
  • Options
    Its saying something that the 'best finisher at the cloob' hasn't even made the 7 man bench. Only 2 strikers in the 18 man squad.
    That tells you it's all about the way we're being set up today. 

May well be a new gameplan.

• Options
    wmcf123 said:

I suppose there is talent there but it’s not just Lee and Nige either. He couldn’t get a football league loan earlier this season... thats 47 other L1/L2 managers that didn’t fancy it.

I don’t want to get down on him too much because I think he’s already improved as a player since Sep/Oct but you do start to wonder.
    The fact is he doesn’t influence a game positively enough to be included. Anything good he has done has been very fleeting. At his age now he should be taking control of the game as a box to box midfielder but he doesn’t.
  • Options

We may win six nil but that is the most defensive Charlton selection of the season,  if not the decade.
  • Options
    Well, it wasn't what I'd expected. In Nige we trust!
  • Options

Just have to smile. Half our posters are in shock at the team lineup ...... and their happy outlook has reverted instantly to doom & gloom.
    It's like the sun suddenly being blocked out by a big black cloud.

And it's not even raining yet! :smile:

• Options
    edited April 2021
    What about Pratley is part of a back 3.  Purrington and Matthews as wing backs.  Gilbey and JFC in the middle a Maatsen and DJ either side of Stockley in a 343?

If Pratley is in midfield I would question why he is a head of Watson but its hard to critics the team selection when you have no idea what the formation is. 
  • Options
    .....................Amos
    .... Inniss Pearce Purrington
    Matthews.................... Maatsen
    ..... ...Pratley JFC Gilbey
    .............Jaiyesimi
    ...............Stockley
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Now it’s ‘interesting’ 
    Well Adkins does not have 18 months of turgid uninspiring football behind him - and as much we don't know how his teams will play. We knew, especially after the first lockdown break, what to expect from a Bowyer side - and a formation like this would not be encouraging of good football or a positive result. 

We play awful today and Adkins picks a similar line up next game, then people will start to react the same. However for all we know in training he has worked on some things and we begin to knock the ball around like Barcelona (we won't). 

You can just take these things at face value. 

• Options
    Very odd line up 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    What about Pratley is part of a back 3.  Purrington and Matthews as wing backs.  Gilbey and JFC in the middle a Maatsen and DJ either side of Gilbey in a 343?
    Could be. But my thinking is that Prat's has been brought in to protect the soft underbelly of our CBs. 
    I mean, the Skipper is not renowned for his quick feet and Ryan hasn't played for 6 months.

If it is indeed a back 3 of Inniss, Pearcey and Ben Purr, I do worry they'll get caught for pace.
    Even Mr Bogle will know that.

• Options
    I don't think it's unfair to be confused and still willing to give a chance
  • Options
    Happy to see Gilbey get another chance.  New manager might be the making of him, gotta be worth a try at least
  • Options
    Going to watch this live - my first live game since the playoff final. Exited to watch it with you all over there at the same time 👉👍
    Except half of us can't.

I don't have Sky ..... normally I'd go down the pub to watch us on a Sky match.
    But, you know, today I can't do that. :neutral:

Pleased for you though @KiwiValley.

• Options
    I think that’s the end of Ronnie.
    I think that you are more right than wrong but I’m not reading into this based on one game. Another couple of games not being involved it will look that way.

when do he play for the u-23’s? I’m guessing that was long enough a go not to be a factor

• Options
    Hmmm Sam Parkin thinks our strength is in defence... 
    Who is Sam Parkin?

Never even heard of him. 

This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!