Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Wayne Rooney's Derby County - not any more (p41)

Comments

• Options
    From memory didn’t Blackpool FC have similar problems around 2015?

Jose Riga was their manager, and 1 week before the season started they only had around 7-9 first team players.

As we all know they got through it, and are now a mid table Championship club.
    They played a few friendlies with a whole lot of trialists.
  • Options
    cafcfan said:
    I said in February (page 28) that the choice of administrators seemed strange.  The only reason I could think of for their appointment was that they must have been cheap.  They appear to have been a very poor custodian of DCFC and have done the club no favours at all.
    The Wigan administrators weren't great either, also letting the situation drag on for months and months
  • Options
    I suspect non PL clubs are just less and less appealing to sensible investors.  Especially if they have massive debts, no assets and/or a stadium which is too big for them.  Never ending losses with a minute chance of ever getting back to the PL.

Hence administrators find it increasingly tough to get a club through to a successful sale to a reasonable owner.
  • Options
    I think we're already at the stage where they'd run League 1 with 23 rather than mess about all the leagues further down the chain by promoting one extra club from each level. That being the case, there's no particular reason why the EFL should kick Derby out until fairly close to the start of the season, as they don't need to change the fixture list, they just leave one team each week with no game. The deadline will come from the fact that whoever's playing Derby on the first day will want to know whether they have a game or not. Less than a month before the start of the season and it starts to get unfair on those clubs which aren't run like complete disaster areas.

I don't think the EFL have said anything about a deadline yet, but presumably that will change now there's a serious risk that the deal won't get through in time.
  • Options
    I think we're already at the stage where they'd run League 1 with 23 rather than mess about all the leagues further down the chain by promoting one extra club from each level. That being the case, there's no particular reason why the EFL should kick Derby out until fairly close to the start of the season, as they don't need to change the fixture list, they just leave one team each week with no game. The deadline will come from the fact that whoever's playing Derby on the first day will want to know whether they have a game or not. Less than a month before the start of the season and it starts to get unfair on those clubs which aren't run like complete disaster areas.

I don't think the EFL have said anything about a deadline yet, but presumably that will change now there's a serious risk that the deal won't get through in time.
    That's all well and good from the clubs perspective but not necessarily fair on the Derby players. 
  • Options

That's all well and good from the clubs perspective but not necessarily fair on the Derby players. 
    Strewth, it's the players being paid stupid salaries which have caused all the problems! They only have a few under contract, and (if Derby fold) those will be pooled back to the EFL and then "sold" to the highest bidder, so it's not as if they won't be paid at all for months (unlike some of Derby's creditors...).
  • Options
    Mike Ashley will save the day and pick them up for peanuts
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
    Mike Ashley will save the day and pick them up for peanuts
    Genuinely not sure he can be bothered with a League 1 club and the risk - his whole model is basically use a Premier League club for advertising Sports Direct, and the risk might be too much that he won't reach that level for too long etc with Derby.
  • Options
    He'd surely only be interested if he can get the stadium off Morris. As he could then potentially do something with the land around it (if indeed Morris owns that as well, i'm just guessing).

In the short term he'd be good for Derby, he'd stabilise them, sort them out, they'd actually have a club and Ashley would surely invest enough to get them back to the championship at least.

Longer term though, the problems would come if Derby can't get back to the Premier league because Ashley isn't one to invest much/any of his own money into a club. He is all about making money, and of course if they couldn't get to the premier league then the club wouldn't be profitable. So then what happens?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Administrators just announced that nothing forthcoming from Kirchner & the 5pm deadline has passed.

They are now talking to other interested parties.

Which means the circus will carry on for another 3-6 months, with the Administrators saying they are close to a deal with x,y or z...but with nothing happening. At which point Kirchner will step back in & will be their preferred bidder again. 

I predict that Derby will start the season as they are. 
  • Options
    Administrators just announced that nothing forthcoming from Kirchner & the 5pm deadline has passed.

They are now talking to other interested parties.

Which means the circus will carry on for another 3-6 months, with the Administrators saying they are close to a deal with x,y or z...but with nothing happening. At which point Kirchner will step back in & will be their preferred bidder again. 

I predict that Derby will start the season as they are. 
    Presumably after showing they have sufficient funds to complete the season. 
  • Options
    There's no way they will have the funds to complete the season so unless Mike Ashley steps in very quickly, how would they be allowed to start it?
  • Options
    There's no way they will have the funds to complete the season so unless Mike Ashley steps in very quickly, how would they be allowed to start it?
    I’m just implying this from a BBC article today, but it appears that they can play this season in administration as they didn’t start last season in administration. I’m reading that to mean you can only go one full season in admin. It also says they have to provide a break even budget, but it doesn’t say when this is needed, but I assume at latest, before the first game  
  • Options
    Was on reddit yesterday and noticed a Derby fan complaining about the possibility of Mike Ashley coming in.

Even other Derby fans were trying to remind him, that even Ashley at the moment is better than nothing
  • Options
    I’m just implying this from a BBC article today, but it appears that they can play this season in administration as they didn’t start last season in administration. I’m reading that to mean you can only go one full season in admin. It also says they have to provide a break even budget, but it doesn’t say when this is needed, but I assume at latest, before the first game  
    That seems reasonable, but as they could not afford to pay the players in May, highly unlikely. Especially when you consider they only have five players.
    Krystian Bielick will obviously be sold - and probably the other four as they will be on very good Championship wages and could be replaced by free players and kids. No doubt the administrators will take the cash raised but just maybe, income could be enough to cover wages.

Basically they need a new owner before the window shuts. This is where you come in. As a taxpayer you will have to swallow the debt owed to Revenue and Customs, plus of course any repayments due to any of their staff or ex staff, and cover their National Insurance payments just so Derby can survive.

Meanwhile Mel Morris looks like he will be leasing the stadium to the local council until someone buys it so will have a nice little income paid for by local rate payers. I am sure they won’t mind giving up a few things to subsidise the pension of a multi millionaire.  Any new owner gets a club for a bargain price.

If they do pull of a sale no doubt Derby will be the first team from league 1 to feature on Sky.

Sad to say it, but they should be made to go out of business.
  • Options
    I'm actually surprised Rooney is still there. Unless he's taken a very hefty pay cut then he's a far bigger expense than any of the players.
  • Options
    If they are in admin will they have another points deduction.?
  • Options
    I'm actually surprised Rooney is still there. Unless he's taken a very hefty pay cut then he's a far bigger expense than any of the players.
    He's hardly short of a wedge is he.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I wonder how much he thinks that he won't get that sort of money elsewhere - he didn't want to go to Everton, for example.

So he's taking out a ton of cash in wages week on week (whilst having a free hit given no one blames him for losses given the situation). 

All whilst being heralded as some sort of martyr for sticking around.
  • Options
    I wonder how much he thinks that he won't get that sort of money elsewhere - he didn't want to go to Everton, for example.

So he's taking out a ton of cash in wages week on week (whilst having a free hit given no one blames him for losses given the situation). 

All whilst being heralded as some sort of martyr for sticking around.
    Sure I saw on the Garner Thread that Garner is on 180k per year which was rumoured to be just under or about the going rate for a League One manager.

I've seen lots of places quote Rooney as on 85k a week which means it will take him just over two weeks to earn what his counter-parts at other League One Club's earn in a year. 

When you take that into account the question shouldn't be why has Rooney stayed, it should be why would he ever leave?

• Options
    Taking into account that a lot of money is owed to the tax payer and how decisive the government were able to be in getting Abramovitch out of Chelsea when it suited them. I would like them to make a compulsory purchase of the ground for the sum of a pound, even if they have to rush through legislation to do so. The club without the ground could then be sold at a more favourable rate to purchasers and we could recover our money by renting out the stadium to the club.

Taking action like this might then deter owners from such unscrupulous practice n the future.
  • Options
    I’m pretty sure they still owe Arsenal £8m of the £10m they signed Bielik for

get another example of a club living well beyond what’s reasonable and sensible
  • Options
    Isn't Rooney directly paid by the sponsors, rather than the club?
  • Options
    Swisdom said:

It’s a funny thing in football, but unsurprising as the members of the EFL are essentially the owners of the clubs, that football depts need to be settled to come out of admin and keep you league status. Surely this could be addressed if the dept is not paid the player registration defaults back to the selling club. If clubs aren’t happy with this arrangement then they should agree a few at an amount the buying club can afford to pay up front.

• Options
    Taking into account that a lot of money is owed to the tax payer and how decisive the government were able to be in getting Abramovitch out of Chelsea when it suited them. I would like them to make a compulsory purchase of the ground for the sum of a pound, even if they have to rush through legislation to do so. The club without the ground could then be sold at a more favourable rate to purchasers and we could recover our money by renting out the stadium to the club.

Taking action like this might then deter owners from such unscrupulous practice n the future.
    No way. CPO have to be at market value.  You can't simply stick legislation through to cut through that for a one off situation as it would set a hugely dangerous precedent for the Govt to use it elsewhere the same way.
  • Options

No way. CPO have to be at market value.  You can't simply stick legislation through to cut through that for a one off situation as it would set a hugely dangerous precedent for the Govt to use it elsewhere the same way.
    I take your point, but for far too long governments have dithered and delayed in doing anything about the immoral way that professional football has operated in this country. Leaving it to govern its self at the expense of both the taxpayer and smaller companies that get ripped off subsidising certain wealthy peoples gambles on achieving a very unlikely success. When it suited the government acted swiftly to wrestle the hands of Chelsea from it’s owner. Legislation could be put in place to tackle this unique problem that wouldn’t have to impact on anything else. To do nothing and keep losing money seems to me to be weak leadership.
  • Options
    Swisdom said:

This is interesting - is he still considered an "asset" or a loss? his value hasn't gone up has it?