Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Oh when Don, stepped up, to lift the FA Cup

Not many of us were there as it is, today, 74 years ago

Comments

• Options

Where is that shot Henners ? Plumstead ? 
  • Options

Where is that shot Henners ? Plumstead ? 
    Greenwich I think
  • Options
    Here's all the lowdown on Munyard's:

THE MUNYARDS. (Lewisham Local Studies Library) View from Deptford Bridge in 1840 William and Ann Munyard - PDF Free Download (docplayer.net)

It looks like the main shop was in London Street (now Greenwich High Road), but there was a branch in Trafalgar Road.  The latter seems a more likely location, but I haven't quite placed it yet.
  • Options
    always a shock that young men in the 1940s and 50s look so old by modern standards .. must be down to smoking tool many fags and a  terrible diet due to wartime food rationing   :)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I think just about the same angle today, based on @Dave Rudd research and the link to 251 Greenwich High Road.

Not changed at all!
  • Options
    edited April 2021

I think just about the same angle today, based on @Dave Rudd research and the link to 251 Greenwich High Road.

Not changed at all!
    Not changed at all!

or for the better....

• Options
    edited April 2021
    I know Trafalgar Road very well and I don’t that photograph as being there. Trafalgar Rd is pretty straight and I don’t recognise that deviation in the road at all. There is a slight bend at junction of Christ Church Way and then nothing until junction with Tunnel Avenue where Trafalgar Road becomes Woolwich Road. Could this be Greenwich Church Street junction with Stockwell Street ? For those not too familiar it’s near The Greenwich Picture House approximately is now. I’m still not certain. The more I look the less convinced I am.
  • Options
    I know Trafalgar Road very well and I don’t that photograph as being there. Trafalgar Rd is pretty straight and I don’t recognise that deviation in the road at all. There is a slight bend at junction of Christ Church Way and then nothing until junction with Tunnel Avenue where Trafalgar Road becomes Woolwich Road. Could this be Greenwich Church Street junction with Stockwell Street ? For those not too familiar it’s near The Greenwich Picture House approximately is now. I’m still not certain. The more I look the less convinced I am.
    Agree that the angles dont look right, but I thought the roads might have been realigned when the buildings were knocked down. 

The below is from the earlier link. The Butchers shop is the same as in the Coach picture (albeit looks like some bomb damage) and if the article is correct in regards to road numbers, then this would be the spot..

• Options
    YTS1978 said:
    And happy birthday to my dad, born in Exeter the day Charlton won the FA Cup! Ended up taking his boys to Selhurst Park to see the mighty Addicks and the rest is history...not all of it good though tbf haha!

It was fate...
    Same, my old man was born the same day Charlton won the cup. A little closer to SE7 mind you. 
  • Options
    Agreed I didn't place that as Greenwich at all at first. Unfortunately although I've lived here 30 years I'm not great on street names so not sure where Christ Church Way is but you mention Tunnel Avenue & I think you could be right. There's a stretch of road between Blackwall Lane & Tunnel Avenue that has that bend. Of course as Sporadic says the road could have been realigned over the years ?
  • Options

Not changed at all!
    But if the coach was turning left there it would be heading up Royal Hill which would be a tight squeeze .................. unless the coach was turning left, left, left to get back on the main road heading back to Charlton ? Is it a Lewis coach ? Maybe they'll have the route in their records  :D
  • Options
    always a shock that young men in the 1940s and 50s look so old by modern standards .. must be down to smoking tool many fags and a  terrible diet due to wartime food rationing   :)
    A lot of the players in those teams would be older than their counterparts today. After the war most clubs re-formed their teams from players who playing for them before the conflict
  • Options
    Are there any known Charlton fans that were at either Cup Finals?

Must be a good number that are still alive...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I love stuff like this - normally plenty of clues that help find the exact location, but this is tough as no remaining shops, no street names in the picture etc etc. 

The below link enables you to overlay todays road on previous maps (in this case a post war one). This suggests that the road wasn't realigned, but I think its the same spot and that it might be just a weird camera angle. If the butchers was at no 251 (and the two shops either side) then the bomb site beyond it looks consistent with this map. 

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/spy/#zoom=18&lat=51.47894&lon=-0.01222&layers=170&b=1&r=11

Of course, it may be somewhere else completely.....
  • Options
    Stewart said:
    YTS1978 said:
    And happy birthday to my dad, born in Exeter the day Charlton won the FA Cup! Ended up taking his boys to Selhurst Park to see the mighty Addicks and the rest is history...not all of it good though tbf haha!

It was fate...
    Same, my old man was born the same day Charlton won the cup. A little closer to SE7 mind you. 
    Also, actor Warren Clarke was born on that day (not sure why I should remember it). He's got nothing to do with Charlton and was born in Oldham, but he did make a big splash in Thamesmead.

• Options
    I love stuff like this - normally plenty of clues that help find the exact location, but this is tough as no remaining shops, no street names in the picture etc etc. 

The below link enables you to overlay todays road on previous maps (in this case a post war one). This suggests that the road wasn't realigned, but I think its the same spot and that it might be just a weird camera angle. If the butchers was at no 251 (and the two shops either side) then the bomb site beyond it looks consistent with this map. 

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/spy/#zoom=18&lat=51.47894&lon=-0.01222&layers=170&b=1&r=11

That map overlay tool is fantastic. It did amuse me that at the turn of the last century Harvey Gardens was a lane with no buildings leading to a 'Disinfectant Works'.

• Options
    Stig said:

That map overlay tool is fantastic. It did amuse me that at the turn of the last century Harvey Gardens was a lane with no buildings leading to a 'Disinfectant Works'.

Hours of my life lost on that site....
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    I was 7 months old then, but my parents were at Wembley

Edit: whoops I was 19 months old, wrong year ......... now I really feel old
  • Options
    Stig said:

Hours of my life lost on that site....
    I think I will be the same. Never seen it before. great find
  • Options
    I believe @TCE led the community singing that day!! 😜
  • Options
    edited April 2021

• Options
    Wish it did a better job picking up reds... unfortunately I'm no photoshop wizard.

https://deepai.org/machine-learning-model/colorizer

• Options
    ross1 said:
    I was 7 months old then, but my parents were at Wembley
    I was born in January 1948.......so I can at least say I was alive when we were the FA Cup holders! 🥳🏆⚽️