Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Athletic v Lincoln City | Tues 4th May 2021 7pm | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Comments

• Lincsaddick said:
    Perhaps the Cowleys have had the nous and awareness to get Pompey into the play offs, whereas Adkins has still to find his feet at CAFC .. his recent selections have been eccentric to put it mildly .. too late now BUT I feel the Cowleys would have been a far better bet for us IF they had either been approached or wanted the job
    Turned us down for Pompey
    Wanted his brother as number two .. TS wanted Jackson and Euell as the back room team 

it’s ridiculous to compare both jobs Pompey are a team that have hardly changed for 2/3 years .. we are still 2 years away from having a settled team and still playing catch up ..... 
    Pompey had a much easier run-in (on paper) as well. They would have considered it, as a short term situation, a much better chance of getting the playoffs and promotion
  • It's very difficult to predict that we will win tonight. I really want us to and also again on Sunday, but like others I can't see both Oxford and Pompey losing. I would rather us go down fighting than play defensive, BUT it needs to be a balanced side that won't concede in the opening minutes.
    Whatever the outcome the main positive I can look forward to is the comment on the season ticket article on the Official website from TS, and I quote "I will be working hard with the footballing staff to put in place as competitive a squad as possible whichever division we are in"
    This therefore could be the first time in years that we have an owner willing to spend to get us out of this godforsaken league.
    I want us to win so I'm going 3-2 Addicks, just to keep the season going for one more game.
  • Very true largeaddick but Oxford and Portsmouth would both have to draw 0-0 and we’d have to score 5 goals in 2 matches without reply to claim 6th spot
  • Win tonight, get our hopes up, then lose on Sunday and the others win .............. the Charlton way
  • I will watch the Lincoln game, but not sure I can handle the Hull match, as Cafc become the fall guy yet again as the Tigers celebrate as they cruise to victory similar to Leeds, Burnley, Bournemouth etc.

You can only take so many kicks in the gonads.

Bizarrely a bigger wind up will be if we are brilliant and play like we did against Wimbledon at the Valley 2nd half or finish as we did against Plymouth. If Chuks plays 90 minutes and helps us win I will curse more than if he does his normal 15 minutes. We had to take a chance of playing Aneke for longer against Accrington and Crewe when it was still in our own hands to finish top 6. 

Last season we had our best striker refuse to play at the end. This season we can't get the best striker, goals to minutes in League 1 on the field for long enough. 
  • I still think playing it safe went out the window on Saturday - go for it all guns blazing tonight.
  • I thought it was as simple as that on Saturday. Hey ho!
  • edited May 2021
    I've set the alarm to get up for this, I'm already cursing that decision, but watch it I must. Self hate has something to answer for... 
  • Sponsored links:

• I think we would of cemented our place in the playoffs by now if Adkins had chosen the right lineups playing mattsen on the right wing was ridiculous you might as well put Pearce there at least he would clatter the full back and giving Aneke 15 minutes when he’s our top goal scorer is just plain stupid ,please don’t someone say you’ve got to manage his injuries.
  • edited May 2021
    Heart wants us to win so badly to give us the slimmest of chances of the play offs heading into Sunday but head says we’ll meekly go down to a Lincoln side who don’t need to get out of second gear. 
  • I don't think anybody is saying we should sack him, but he has disappointed in recent games. To be fair, Powell did too in his first season and what a second season.
  • Who else can you blame for the line up the physio, kitman ???
  • Perhaps the Cowleys have had the nous and awareness to get Pompey into the play offs, whereas Adkins has still to find his feet at CAFC .. his recent selections have been eccentric to put it mildly .. too late now BUT I feel the Cowleys would have been a far better bet for us IF they had either been approached or wanted the job
    What has been eccentric about them?
  • If we start stockley up front to day and 2 wide men and don't "risk" chucks and Washington in a 2 the I do worry about us next season as I fear the long ball could be Adkins preference going forward.
  • Nads has had a free hit and I look forward to having a competitive squad next season All be it we will have to take a risk on a few from League 1 or 2. Starting off fit with a modicum of skill would help.

Sunderland spent 4 million on the man who didn't catch fire: Will Griggs,  so it's still  skill and elements of luck to get the right players to blend for a successful campaign.
    Could be a League 2 striker rather than a guy from a championship squad who can't get games.

Nigel Adkins will need all his and Steve Gallen's abilities along with the budget from Thomas Sandgaard to encourage players to the 3 tier valley.
    Still feel that players getting injured when playing well: Doughty, Famewo, Inniss, DJ, and Washington,  have cost us more points than we are behind now. Throw in Chuk's issues and no wonder we are shy of a target of 6th place that we should have managed comfortably. 
  • It’s far too early to be laying the blame at Adkins feet for this seasons disappointments. Next season is the time we scrutinise him.
  • Davo53 said:
    Very true largeaddick but Oxford and Portsmouth would both have to draw 0-0 and we’d have to score 5 goals in 2 matches without reply to claim 6th spot
    no they wouldn't. Pompey draw and they get 73 points, Oxford draw and they get 72 points, we win both and we get 74 points. Simples.
  • Sponsored links:

• Davo53 said:
    Who else can you blame for the line up the physio, kitman ???
    I don't know. Who do you blame for you not knowing the permutations for us to get promoted?
  •  I honestly think Adkins did not want to go up this season. It would be tough to rebuild a squad for championship football never mind League One. I also think a few of the players don't care. 
  • Players arrived about 3.15pm
  • I don't agree that Adkins didn't want to go up as he would love to recruit players with Gallen that can play in the Championship under an owner who has said he doesn't just want to survive if/when we go up.

The players are totally different with some realising they would struggle in the higher division at this time of their careers but no one would say that out loud if they had an ounce of ambition whether their first or 15th in the professional game. 
  • edited May 2021
    Perhaps the Cowleys have had the nous and awareness to get Pompey into the play offs, whereas Adkins has still to find his feet at CAFC .. his recent selections have been eccentric to put it mildly .. too late now BUT I feel the Cowleys would have been a far better bet for us IF they had either been approached or wanted the job
    They're not "in the play-offs" yet. Still a few games to go, and they're only there by 1 point. (When Jackett was sacked, they were outside by 2.) 
  • ct_addick said:
     I honestly think Adkins did not want to go up this season. It would be tough to rebuild a squad for championship football never mind League One. I also think a few of the players don't care. 
    Of course Adkins wants promotion, players not caring, to a degree.  Unless they get a bonus.
  • fat bird ain’t singing yet. I’m remaining ridiculously positive and optimistic. We win 2. Oxford and Pompey draw. We are in the playoffs. Can’t wait for Valley Pass with Stella alone in my bedroom tonight. COYR. 
  • fat bird ain’t singing yet. I’m remaining ridiculously positive and optimistic. We win 2. Oxford and Pompey draw. We are in the playoffs. Can’t wait for Valley Pass with Stella alone in my bedroom tonight. COYR. 

Is Stella as keen as you are?
  • ross1 said:

Thanks Nige.