Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Thoughts on the 2020/2021 season

A real rollercoaster season. At the start we wondered if we would still have a club to support and by the end of it miss out on a playoff spot by a whisker.  We were completely screwed over at the start by the previous a-holes in charge and then the salary cap so to have come this close is a real positive IMO.

I think many of us at the beginning would have taken that in a heartbeat but by the end of it there is a sense of frustration at what could have been as I still feel this team was definitely good enough for a playoff spot if not automatic promotion.

Some strange decisions have cost us with Bowyer's square peg and midfielder decisions. Not to get another CB in January when we were shipping goals for fun was just bizarre. Sad to see Bowyer's tenure fizzle out but do think we're under better stewardship with Adkins in charge.

There are some good players in that side that was pulled together so quickly but a number who have not lived up to their reputations and another rebuild is required but hopefully we kick it off early and get our prime targets.

Highlight of the season is definitely Thomas Sandgaard. We have so much to thank him for and he really has saved our club. Depsite still being in League 1 I think we can look forward to next season with real optimism for the first time in years. 

Onwards and upwards you Addicks!

Comments

• Options
    Gutted, would have won the playoffs. It was a crap L1 and next season will be a crap Championship, we had a great chance.  The spivs at the start but a huge dent in our prospects, Bowyer sadly lost it but still left way in credit overall.  NADs and TS will see us good next year hopefully and being back to The Valley will be wonderful.  Roll on 21/22.
  • Options
    Not making the play offs = failure.

adkins has done well over the last 10 games and we now have a good owner. 20/21 is gone, time to stabilise and improve and look forward to 2021/22.
  • Options
    Sadly I remember it as a season where we finally solved our ownership issues but the manager and playing squad let us down for half a season. 

I did not expect the latter. In fact I don't think many did. We are now being run like a professional outfit.
  • Options
    Clearly been a difficult year for club but we end it much stronger & healthier than we started. 
    Failure to make play offs still a big disappointment though & expectations will be high for next year. Positive for future though. 
  • Options
    Clearly been a difficult year for club but we end it much stronger & healthier than we started. 
    Failure to make play offs still a big disappointment though & expectations will be high for next year. Positive for future though. 
    That is the approach that I am going to take. Back in February I thought we would need to replace 15 players in the squad to be promoted next year. Since that time we have seen some impressive showing from Gilbey, Washington and DJ. The season has been chaotic and very toxic during a certain period of time. 

• Options
    If Bowyer had gone 2 months before he did, I’d wager we’d be in the play offs.
    Maybe. But we were also unbeaten in four when Bowyer left and looked to have turned a corner. 

Could also say the failure to do better against Ipswich, Crewe, Peterborough or Accrington near the end, only winning 1 in 5 when it mattered equally cost us. 

In hindsight I think you are probably right. But the Jan window business was really poor. Failure to bring in at least one centre half during the Jan window cost us really badly while Schwartz and Smith were real wasted signings. 
    You talk about hindsight, but a number of us were saying it (fairly emphatically) at the time.  Get your hindsight in early, I say.

The fact is that we were not good enough as a squad over the season ... even in what most agree was a mediocre version of League 1.

I see it as an opportunity lost ... and a dent in Sandgaard's stated five/six/seven year plan to achieve top class football.

And make no mistake ... even with heavy investment over the Summer, there are no guarantees next season.

But we are Charlton.  The hope burns eternal.  We are on the right track now.

And ... where's the harm in one more glorious season as we party down in Cheltenham and tonk the toffs of Cambridge?
  • Options
     I wonder how the vocal ones on here defending Bowyer, from December feel right now? When you've lost the dressing room, you've lost it and it is game over. You cannot slag players repeatedly in public and expect them to run through walls for you.

As someone else said, not signing a centre half in January was foolhardy and I just don't buy this there was no one better available.
    Do we really have to rehash the arguments all over again? Personally, I'm fine with it, as I didn't think we were going to get promoted this season anyway. As I said at the time, the effects of the pandemic, the compressed timetable to the season, having to cobble together a squad at the last minute and the salary cap meant that bouncing straight back up was going to be more tricky than we hoped, particularly once the injuries and suspensions kicked in. As for the centre half thing, it's not just a question of who was available, but who was available within our budget (particularly as the salary cap was still in effect at that point) and that's a detail we just don't have the information on.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Just hoping Lincoln don’t go up through the playoffs, as it’s a new ground I want to tick off.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    I would have bitten your hand off for missing out on the play offs on goal difference in August.

However what ever went on between November and March cost us a place in the play offs and possibly automatic promotion.  For the last 3 months, even before Bowyer left, we have looked a different club, let alone team since the abomination that was the last Saturday of February.

This is a better squad than the one we had in 17/18 and we have seen in the last 10 weeks there is plenty of solid foundations to build on.  Don't throw the baby out with the bath water.  I think Nigle knows that. 
  • Options
    Off the pitch it has been a success - most of us would have settled for that at the start of the season and suffered an 8th place finish.

On the pitch, barring a handful of games we have been dreadful. I can hand on heart say, that with the exception or 3 or 4 players I want them all to move on. Some of them just look so disinterested. Matthews for example - what’s happened to him? So consistent last season in a higher league, but bang average at best in league 1.  Ben Watson - I was well pleased when we signed him, but he has been shocking.  The list goes on.....I just don’t see how most of this mob fit in to Adkins “let’s go and make the most of the day everyone” attitude.  Nobody is going to make the most of the day with this lot. 

Massive overhaul of the squad needed and players in that will give it everything. Fortunately we have a decent manager and I certainly trust him to get the right players in. 

• Options
    edited May 2021
    Disappointing as for me minimum was to be in playoffs. So it’s a failure - had a rough couple of years. 
    Last seasons relegation where in most other seasons we would of been safe on the points we had. 
    This season we’ve got 74 points;
    Points required for playoffs in last 5 years;

18/19 73
    17/18 71
    16/17 73
    15/16 74
    14/15 69

Regarding manager I think give him a summer to get in some players - massive Clear out required 
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    A more than not miserable season as it was lived, however from the perspective of where we were at the start of the season it's remarkable to still have a club and to finish 7th and signs for optimism for the future.

Rue a lot of the misses and pub league defensive errors and sad how it turned sour with Bowyer after he steered us so magnificently through the choppy waters of the past few seasons however now it feels like we are truly a the start of a new chapter, daresay, era and I'm feeling very optimistic for the club on and just as importantly, if not more so given the past decade, off the pitch.

Would have been great to bounce back up at the first time of asking but now the rebuild starts and hopefully we will see our best pre season and summer squad build for years which will hopefully pay dividends next term under Adkins' stewardship and hopefully, at some point in the season at least, played out in front of a packed Valley.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Are we going down that road that after 15 games if we are not doing that great next season we get rid of the manager?
  • Options
    We have a big summer ahead and I hope NA makes big decisions. Are we going to pin all our goalscoring hopes on a fella who can't complete 90 mins? Are we going to be carrying players who have lost their legs or just don't fit the mould? 
    The team has been much improved under a new positive environment that the new gaffer has brought but I still think we need to remember that this team served up some absolute dross this year and there is much improvement needed.
  • Options
    Dave Rudd said:
    Maybe. But we were also unbeaten in four when Bowyer left and looked to have turned a corner. 

Could also say the failure to do better against Ipswich, Crewe, Peterborough or Accrington near the end, only winning 1 in 5 when it mattered equally cost us. 

In hindsight I think you are probably right. But the Jan window business was really poor. Failure to bring in at least one centre half during the Jan window cost us really badly while Schwartz and Smith were real wasted signings. 
    You talk about hindsight, but a number of us were saying it (fairly emphatically) at the time.  Get your hindsight in early, I say.

The fact is that we were not good enough as a squad over the season ... even in what most agree was a mediocre version of League 1.

I see it as an opportunity lost ... and a dent in Sandgaard's stated five/six/seven year plan to achieve top class football.

And make no mistake ... even with heavy investment over the Summer, there are no guarantees next season.

But we are Charlton.  The hope burns eternal.  We are on the right track now.

And ... where's the harm in one more glorious season as we party down in Cheltenham and tonk the toffs of Cambridge?
    From memory there was not to many 'Toffs' when we played Cambridge away back in 1973
  • Options
    Masses of good news off the field, which ultimately is the most important thing considering the dark days of last summer when this board was all about running out of money, takeovers, Range Rovers, owners, court cases etc

Missing the playoffs has to be considered a slight failure, but not a massive one. It was always going to be difficult to build a team with the late influx of players, but there have been periods of the season when the team has underperformed and not bringing in a CB in January was an odd decision, as without Inniss and Famewo we let in a ridiculous number of goals for a promotion chasing side.
  • Options
    That was a very boring and tedious season on the pitch. Glad it's over 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2021
    Second consecutive season where one point would have done it which is pretty miserable. The Crewe result hurt as I was kind of hoping conceding in the last moments was a Bowyer thing but it seems it’s just a current Charlton thing. Hopefully with a new squad Adkins can purge that. Being so close hurts but there’s encouraging signs. It will be a very important summer now, need a left back, two or three new centre halves, and wholesale changes in midfield and attack. Still, getting as close as we did with all the horror we’ve had to put up with recently and ending the season strongly is positive. 

I haven’t enjoyed a minute of it though. No fans, everything on a screen, too much time for everyone to pick apart every move and not enough distance from the final whistle has made this season uniquely horrible. Even if we’d got promoted I wouldn’t have remembered this season fondly. 
  • Options
    Over. 

On to next season 
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Crap season, with a squad who have massively underperformed - criminally at times. Failing to get playoffs means it's a failure. Just glad it's over tbh. 
  • Options
    Just realised it’s the first year since 1978 that I haven’t attended a single game in a season.
  • Options
    Although the club was in a questionable place at the beginning of the season I really thought even with the embargo and other obstacles in place at the time we had enough to do more than we have. This league is turgid beyond belief and I'm struggling to remember feeling so negative about football in general. Maybe I'm simply bored of it now. But one point I would really like to make is this. Did Thomas really want to get out of this league this year?. I don't think he did. Nigel Adkins was available all the time. And I am of the belief that if the trigger had been pulled on Bowyer earlier (who I believe was always going to Brum) we would be in a better place. Of course hindsight is a wonderful thing. I'll amend this to actually two points:) Have a great summer all and lets hope the football is better next season.
  • Options
    Although the club was in a questionable place at the beginning of the season I really thought even with the embargo and other obstacles in place at the time we had enough to do more than we have. This league is turgid beyond belief and I'm struggling to remember feeling so negative about football in general. Maybe I'm simply bored of it now. But one point I would really like to make is this. Did Thomas really want to get out of this league this year?. I don't think he did. Nigel Adkins was available all the time. And I am of the belief that if the trigger had been pulled on Bowyer earlier (who I believe was always going to Brum) we would be in a better place. Of course hindsight is a wonderful thing. I'll amend this to actually two points:) Have a great summer all and lets hope the football is better next season.
    I think Thomas ambition has been pretty obvious from the start
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Crap season, with a squad who have massively underperformed - criminally at times. Failing to get playoffs means it's a failure. Just glad all over tbh. 

Called Croydon and posting that. 

You'll be a Selhurst regular with @LouisMend in no time at this rate! :-)
    Rumbled!
  • Options

I would agree that January was really the cross roads of our season. If we had got our signings right then we would at the very least been in the playoffs, the lack of signing a CB was a particularly bad decision. 

We didn’t get January right, our poor form (which had begun a month or two prior) continued and it made it very difficult for Adkins once he came in. 

We came close, and that we were even in with a shot of the playoffs despite underperforming from December - March shows how poor this league is. I’m confident that, if we get our summer rebuild right, then Adkins can get us up next season.