Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Thoughts on the 2020/2021 season

2»

Comments

• Options
    se9addick said:
    If Bowyer had gone 2 months before he did, I’d wager we’d be in the play offs.
    Maybe. But we were also unbeaten in four when Bowyer left and looked to have turned a corner. 

Could also say the failure to do better against Ipswich, Crewe, Peterborough or Accrington near the end, only winning 1 in 5 when it mattered equally cost us. 

In hindsight I think you are probably right. But the Jan window business was really poor. Failure to bring in at least one centre half during the Jan window cost us really badly while Schwartz and Smith were real wasted signings. 
    I would agree that January was really the cross roads of our season. If we had got our signings right then we would at the very least been in the playoffs, the lack of signing a CB was a particularly bad decision. 

We didn’t get January right, our poor form (which had begun a month or two prior) continued and it made it very difficult for Adkins once he came in. 

We came close, and that we were even in with a shot of the playoffs despite underperforming from December - March shows how poor this league is. I’m confident that, if we get our summer rebuild right, then Adkins can get us up next season. 
    So, we all agree.......we needed to bring in a commanding CH in January and not Matt Smith. 

Btw......do you think Adkins actually ever met Matt Smith or knew he was on the playing staff ?? 
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    We could have gone for it in the January transfer window, not brought Ronnie in, got a decent Centre half instead and maybe, maybe sneaked into the playoffs.

But this was a bit of a shambles of a season, players not working out and coming and going , embargo’s , salary caps  et al, but I’m not convinced TS wanted or trusted LB longer term, whether the 2 personalities were poles apart to work with each other I don’t know.

Lee had a left along free hand under little scrutiny from the owners, and I don’t think we would have liked a structured approach, or the fact Ronnie was brought in over his head, and he didn’t rate him, perhaps.

If Stockley had been here from the start of the season instead of Bogle, I think we would have made the playoffs, all if, buts and maybes.

TS knew he’d set the fans against him from the off by sacking Lee early doors, so being made to leave on his own terms suited both sides.

Im glad this seasons over, it’s been draining and whilst it’s given us something else to focus on rather than covid, bit like my post it’s gone on a bit.

Im just pleased we’ve still got a club to follow, and will join in the perennial summer football hobby of reading The Who we might sign / get shot of thread regardless of how how obscure or bizarre the suggestions.

Im sure when the fixtures come out next month, I’ll be chomping at the bit, we dust ourselves down, get outside and make the most of the summer (with me brolly).
  • Options
    Disappointing season. Close to play offs but I still think we should have achieved more. A number of the players were playing championship last season. Not sure why we deteriorated under LB but we did and some of those performances were pretty poor. Feeling optimistic about next season but with elevation as I think it will be a stronger division.
  • Options
    On a general basis .. impressed that the top 5 divisions will complete their seasons (except it seems for Dover Ath) despite the privations of the pandemic. Our situation ? .. lack of a consistent striker cost us dear .. and Bowyer should have been sacked much earlier before he walked .. I feel a wee bit sorry for Lee, he managed a good promotion run and narrowly avoided relegation from the Champ. BUT that's football management for you
  • Options
    On a general basis .. impressed that the top 5 divisions will complete their seasons (except it seems for Dover Ath) despite the privations of the pandemic. Our situation ? .. lack of a consistent striker cost us dear .. and Bowyer should have been sacked much earlier before he walked .. I feel a wee bit sorry for Lee, he managed a good promotion run and narrowly avoided relegation from the Champ. BUT that's football management for you
    He also pissed a few points away at the end of last season by bringing on defenders when 1-0 up that would have kept us up
  • Options
    I don't feel like we're a basket case of a club any more. Whereas last summer we had hope of recovery, this summer we have expectation. We can get back into the Valley. The Valley Pass coverage, however, has been great in reinforcing the club values, and common sense. I look to the youth team and women's team and care again. I don't feel our POTY will leave this summer (OK, I know... but I don't think he would've left anyway). 
    For me 2020-21 sucked as a season, we lost games we should've strolled, and the Blackpool game was as low as it's ever got. But I guess I don't hate it, as we're so much better equipped now.