Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Who would you keep from the Loanees

Comments

• Options
    Given that very often loans don’t work we’ve been lucky that Stockley, Famewo, Mastsen and Millar have all been successes to varying degrees. 

Maatsen has started to improve significantly under NA, having had a shaky spell previously. We have to remember how young he is. I think Millar has improved too and he’s been a significant factor in the strong finish to the season along with Stockley and the two best CBs being fit - promotion form of late. 

If available I’d take all of them back (the first two perm if possible) ahead of players who are unknown entities and need to bed in to the culture of the club etc. Consider how long it appears to have taken Gilbey. 
  • Options
    I think we'll try to sign Stockley permanently, which I'd be more than happy with. I don't get the negatives that playing him, we tend to go route one, but that's down to the lack of vision and decision making of those around him. As for Maatsen & Millar, I personally couldn't care less. Both blow hot & cold and current ability (for both) is L1, so they're not exactly playing below their level, unlike Famewo & Stockley. I'm sure they'll be a loan or two, but hopefully not too many. I'd rather we concentrate on developing our own players, rather than those of other clubs

• Options
    edited May 2021
    I trust Nigel Adkins to make the right calls after listening to him on the CAST Zoom.

Maatsen if he plays on the left and defends and attacks like he did today But he has been very raw and all at sea in many games.

Liam Millar is the enigma in this side.
    Can do great direct running but it's so random what happens with the final ball.
    Will his parent club prefer him to move on?

He had 4 chances to hit the target today but missed the lot. Still had the assist for the goal though and it's exciting seeing him go past defenders.

Smith never got going and has disappeared.

Shinnie, maybe now that JFC is crocked for at least the first half of next season.

Gallagher seems to have set the bar too high for all loaners since his half season at Cafc untill taken away from us and sent abroad to Wales.
  • Options
    I am interested to see where Famewo next move will be. Only played 20 matches this season, is that enough for a championship club to take him on loan. Does Famewo want to go back on loan. Would Norwich sell him.

Would be a big test of TS ambition if we can sign him. I think he will probably move on loan to a championship club next season. 
  • Options
    Stockley is the only one I want us to retain. Famewo would be the next best of the loanees but I think we can sign someone better, but I wouldn’t complain if we did get him in.
  • Options
    I am interested to see where Famewo next move will be. Only played 20 matches this season, is that enough for a championship club to take him on loan. Does Famewo want to go back on loan. Would Norwich sell him.

Would be a big test of TS ambition if we can sign him. I think he will probably move on loan to a championship club next season. 
    What Norwich have to factor in is game time. He may develop more being first choice here than on Preston's bench for instance. Same applies to Millar. 
  • Options
    Stockley definitely.  Millar definitely.  Both perms.

Famewo if his fitness issues are behind him and he can be relied on but only if he is quite cheap as he has a long way to learn still.
  • Options
    Apart from Smith, all the loanees did well for us. Stockley would be great if we can sign him on a permanent deal. If we can fill three of our loan slots with Maatsen, Millar, and Famewo I certainly won't complain.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Stockley definitely. I’ve not been too convinced by Famewo because IMO although there are touches of brilliance I think he can be a liability at times- probably the reason why he is out on loan. However, Sarr was the same when he first played for us. He looked like Bambi on ice but definitely got his act together so if NA likes him that’s good enough for me. Millar seems to go missing for too much of the game. Maartsen’s regular inability to cross a ball past the first opposition player in front of him is wasteful and puts us in trouble so won’t care if he doesn’t come back. I like shinnie but not sure why he seemed to go out of favour. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Stockley would be excellent if the fee Preston want isn't ridiculous. Rest of them I expect their parent clubs will want them playing in the Championship. 
  • Options
    Critically I wouldn't get any of them back on loan. Permie only. Millar has shown enough in last few games to force himself into contention, but Stockley and Famewo would be definite, Maatsen and Smith probably not. 
  • Options
    Stockley is the only one I want us to retain. Famewo would be the next best of the loanees but I think we can sign someone better, but I wouldn’t complain if we did get him in.
    100% we won't sign (as in buy) a better CB than Famewo
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Stockley
    Famewo

If Chelsea are willing I'd have Maatsen back too, really stepped back up under Adkins, especially his last two LB performances.

As for the other players:

I'm in two minds about retaining Davison. Having seen him play a couple of times this season, I actually think he's gone backwards from the lad that played for us a couple of seasons ago. He isn't a prolific scorer, doesn't have a physical presence and couldn't even get a regular starting spot for Forest Green. That said, there are parallels with Joe Pigott and subject to us affording to do so, perhaps he needs another season on loan in League 2.

Will trust whatever Adkins decides is best for us and the lad's development.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    It depends who else is available but there's nothing to suggest that Maatsen, Famewo & Millar won't improve with more experience. I'm pretty sure all should develop into very decent players, probably at a higher level and if we are looking to build the club with a younger profile, then those three fit the bill. 

Regarding Maatsen; remember Jay Da Silva didn't look too clever in his first season but really kicked on in his second season with us. Like Da Silva, Maatsen has shown a superb attitude, remained fully committed, finished the season strongly and never hid in any of the games he played. That shows me he's got some bottle and I'd say he's worth persevering with. With continued good coaching and more games, he should tun out to be good. 

Famewo has injury issues and that's a concern. A very good defender, especially given his lack of experience. We were definitely more solid when he played and he's another one, who IF he can remain fit, will kick on to good things. 

You won't get too many players as talented as Millar at this level. Yes, he frustrates and it remains to be seen if his game will mature but that's the case with most young players. Again, I'd back Adkins to get the best out of him but I suspect he'll be loaned to a Championship club rather than back to L1. 

I'm pretty sure we'll try to sign Stockley as he's done well and we need that physical presence up front. He's another one that ought to kick-on over a full season. It ought to be remembered that he came to us without having played much in the first half of the season. We know he can have the battle with CBs, he can score goals and has a great attitude. A good pre-season followed by an early run of games, should see him do well. The key will be, whether we can get a team that can play 4-4-2 or get the right service into him in a 4-3-3
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    All, think the two youngsters will improve after this season. Famewo worth the risk. Forgot about Smith, obv not rated..
  • Options
    Being a bit harsh on Smith, he hardly got any game time.
  • Options
    Stockley and Millar are must haves for me, and I'd also go for Famewo and Maatsen again. But may be we can do better?
  • Options
    Id try and get stockley and millar on permanent deals if poss. Wouldn't mind maatsen back for another season as he seems like a good lad, is obviously very talented but a bit raw. Not fussed about Famewo really. His injuries are a concern  and we can't really have that if Inniss is gonna be out for a period of time.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    kafka said:
    One thing's for sure, we have to give up on Ronnie. I don't think I've ever seen someone contribute less in all my years. Does anyone really believe this situation can be turned around?
    YES. With a full pre-season.
  • Options
    Chucks has got Championship ambitions, but if he is still in L1 we will regret letting him go.
    In this division, I would rather have Chucks in the tent peeing out, than vice-versa.
    He played half the games and got half as many goals as the top scorer in the division.
  • Options
    kafka said:
    One thing's for sure, we have to give up on Ronnie. I don't think I've ever seen someone contribute less in all my years. Does anyone really believe this situation can be turned around?
    Yeah I do. Give him a full proper preseason to integrate and let Adkins work his motivational magic on him and he COULD be very useful indeed in this division.

The question often asked is what else does he bring if he's not scoring, which is valid. But BWP was a very important part of the last promotion winning team despite bringing little else physically - but finished off the chances the team created. Schwartz could be that part of the team.

I'm certainly not saying he definitely will mind you but I think writing him off is very unwise. Gilbey's form improved dramatically once he'd dealt with some other issues (as per Bowyer's own words) so I think it's worth sticking with Schwartz for at least a while.
  • Options
    Chucks has got Championship ambitions, but if he is still in L1 we will regret letting him go.
    In this division, I would rather have Chucks in the tent peeing out, than vice-versa.
    He played half the games and got half as many goals as the top scorer in the division.
    Clarke Harris - 0.7 Goals per 90" - 126 mins per goal
    Aneke - 0.89 Goals per 90" - 102 mins per goal

• Options
    I'm not good copying tweets but there are a couple from Liam Millar on louise Mendoz's twitter that seem to imply you can take him out of this thread!

My time at has come to an end. Unfortunately couldn’t get playoffs but always a positive beating the champions of the division in the last game

I would like to thank everyone at charlton for looking after me and welcoming me in, something I’ll never forget!
    I don't think that means too much. He'll go back to Liverpool and decisions will be made. He is unlikely to make the first team squad so the decision for him will probably be another loan. Maybe a Championship club will go for him but if not, we would probably be favourites. What Liverpool will be interested in is where he will best develop.
    Listening to his interview with Scott after the game I definitely got the impression he wanted to try in the Championship. He's 23 so can't blame him for that. Liverpool will want a loan fee (no chance of him getting in 1st team squad) so it will mainly depend whether a Championship squad will bid more than us. Suspect someone will take a gamble on him. 
    On Famewo, I would certainly like to keep him (remember this was his first season of playing league football at 22). Harder to know what Norwich's intentions are, or when his contract is to?
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Having had some time to think overnight, I'd like to formalise my interest in bringing in Maatsen. 

So Stockley (Perm), Maatsen (Loan) and Famewo (Perm) please Thomas :wink:

• Options
    AS for Stockley I suspect Preston will want to cash in something. Be down to negotiation and whether anybody else wants him at a ridiculous price.
  • Options
    redman said:
    AS for Stockley I suspect Preston will want to cash in something. Be down to negotiation and whether anybody else wants him at a ridiculous price.
    Preston paid £750,000 for him but they, clearly, have come to the conclusion that he can't cut it at Championship level. I don't think it would be unreasonable for us to pay about half of that.
  • Options
    Agree. If we can, he'd be good to keep and use him in pretty much the way he's been used this season. But, if we are working to a budget then he could be very expensive....
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Clarke Harris - 0.7 Goals per 90" - 126 mins per goal
    Aneke - 0.89 Goals per 90" - 102 mins per goal

Great work Dazzler.
    I guessed Chuks had a better scoring record in goals to minutes than Clarke Harris and good to see that was correct.

I forgive you now for your comment on Stockley  :)