Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Who would you keep from the Loanees

13»

Comments

• Options
    se9addick said:
    Can’t believe people want Maatsen back.

Would sign Stockley, re-loan Famewo and consider Millar if the terms are right (basically we pay none/very little of his salary to avoid taking up too much of our budget). 
    I can't believe people want Millar back. 

Stockley and Famewo the only two who've consistently performed. Though not sure I'd take Stockley, as I don't want us playing hoofball for an entire season. 
  • Options
    You just can't beat a Dazzler21 spreadsheet..
  • Options
    As we can only play 5 (and I hate it when you have 5 loanees in your 11 anyway) you have to be selective. Adkins and co will have to think about the squad, and the balance between permanent signings, loanees and academy players.

In 2018/19 we struck gold with Cullen and Bielik, and then the following season with Cullen and Gallagher, I'd rather we used the loan system to bring in real quality, rather than to bulk out the squad cheaply. Hull for example had just 2 loanees in the first half of the season  and 3 after January. Other than an emergency keeper, Peterborough had ONE loan player all season.
  • Options
    For me it depends on who we sign as permanent squad members. Stockley, Famewo, Maatsen and Millar are all good enough not just to compete in this league but to be part of a promotion chasing side and I'm sure that all would improve under a summer of coaching from Mr Adkins. If we can get better, I'd be happy for any of them to move on. If we can't I'd be happy for all to stay. I guess of the four my biggest concern would be over Famewo's proneness to injury, especially as Inniss looks likely to spend some time in the sick bay and Pearce is past his prime. I definitely think we need a new centre back who isn't so long in the tooth and who isn't made of glass. 
  • Options
    Stockley and that's it, famewo was good, but had a mistake in him and was also injured alot. Didn't rate Millar, only had maybe 2/3 good games. Maatsen was OK, didn't rip up any trees and smith wasn't given a chance. 
  • Options
    Famewo has put in some decent performances this season. 
    OK there were cock-ups , but we had them in every position on the field. 
    Innis and Famewo as CBs is a pretty formidable combination. 
    Millar was 100% trier IMO,
    Nads needs to sort out his tactics by playing to our strengths. 
    We need another Josh Cullen from somewhere. 
  • Options
    If they are not called Cullen or Gallagher replace them with permanent signings. 

The fewer memories of this season the better.  
  • Options
    CAFCDAZ said:
    Stockley and that's it, famewo was good, but had a mistake in him and was also injured alot. Didn't rate Millar, only had maybe 2/3 good games. Maatsen was OK, didn't rip up any trees and smith wasn't given a chance. 
    Really? I'm not claiming he was Mr Consistency by any stretch of the imagination, but to my eye he was far better than you are suggesting. 
  • Options
    redman said:
    AS for Stockley I suspect Preston will want to cash in something. Be down to negotiation and whether anybody else wants him at a ridiculous price.
    Preston paid £750,000 for him but they, clearly, have come to the conclusion that he can't cut it at Championship level. I don't think it would be unreasonable for us to pay about half of that.
    If he isn't in their plans for next season, his contract ends at the end of that. I would expect a token fee will get him unless we have competition. The issue is there probably isn't load of money in League 1 to compete with us and not sure there will be a lot of Championship demand. Maybe a cheeky £150k might nab him for us.
  • Options
    Stig said:
    CAFCDAZ said:
    Really? I'm not claiming he was Mr Consistency by any stretch of the imagination, but to my eye he was far better than you are suggesting. 
    Yep. He was our most creative player and the only player who could actually hold on to the ball and dribble.

Millar created more goalscoring opportunities per match than any of our other players. Not sure why so many seemed to not rate him. He was a very good league 1 winger. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2021
    Jac_52 said:
    Stig said:
    CAFCDAZ said:
    Yep. He was our most creative player and the only player who could actually hold on to the ball and dribble.

Millar created more goalscoring opportunities per match than any of our other players. Not sure why so many seemed to not rate him. He was a very good league 1 winger. 
    I agree with this. He can go past players and has some pace. I would try to get him but I think there are probably a few Championship clubs who will be in for him. Maybe the selling point would be a half season contract with the knowledge he will be a regular in the side.
  • Options
    If they are not called Cullen or Gallagher replace them with permanent signings. 

The fewer memories of this season the better.  
    Bit late, grumps.

We already have Gal-len.....
  • Options
    Jac_52 said:
    Stig said:
    CAFCDAZ said:

He was exciting to watch and Millar really needed two strikers to hit but 9 assists is decent but next season I expect him to improve in the Championship as long as he is given a licence to entertain and he is in a team which like to go forward in numbers in transition.

The quintessential winger who frustrats and entertains but improvement should occur but he may find fans get on his back on his poor days.
  • Options
    If we want to be certain of promotion then only Stockley for me, all the others have been to inconsistent and that has cost us. I want a team of players that put a shift in every week, not every third game. 
  • Options
    Stig said:
    CAFCDAZ said:
    I really didn't rate him, his end product was terrible barring the last 2 games of the season, he was 
    a headless chicken, he was fast, thats about it. 
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    CAFCDAZ said:
    Stig said:
    CAFCDAZ said:
    I really didn't rate him, his end product was terrible barring the last 2 games of the season, he was 
    I found him irritating to watch, buy only because he was inconsistent. He was very skilled, but for me lacked the footballers brain. Too many wrong decisions in the final third.

He probably had about 8 decent halves, never seemed able to have a total decent game.

Weirdly he usually played better in the second half too, maybe he should have been utilised as a HT sub allowing us to start two up top then become a 4-3-3 relieving Aneke at half time each game.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    CAFCDAZ said:
    Stig said:
    CAFCDAZ said:
    I found him irritating to watch, buy only because he was inconsistent. He was very skilled, but for me lacked the footballers brain. Too many wrong decisions in the final third.

He probably had about 8 decent halves, never seemed able to have a total decent game.

Weirdly he usually played better in the second half too, maybe he should have been utilised as a HT sub allowing us to start two up top then become a 4-3-3 relieving Aneke at half time each game.
    Not a bad shout actually. Like a modern day Jerome Thomas.

Although having said that I'd still play him ahead of DJ as even though his decision making can be frustrating he does still create more and is more of a threat running at and beating players than DJ is.
  • Options
    Stockley as a perm signing, same for Famewo if released by Norwich, but highly unlikely.

I like Stockley’s presence, heading capability and stamina. As many others had said, with better quality around him, he could really shine next season. Famewo is still learning and therefore prone to errors, but those happen to the best of them, so hope somehow we can nab a talented centre half that we know plays with strong chemistry alongside Innis.

Thank you to all others for committing to Charlton for 1/2 or full season and good luck with your onward careers. Millar I really liked as a pace merchant, but he has so much to learn in the decision making department. Ultimately, Liverpool sent him out to learn and that is what he did, but if we have sufficient budget now would rather the learning errors not be at our expense. Similar for Maatsen, who I struggled to appreciate all season, bar the last game. Smith, which one, who, what...?

What I really hope is that we max out at two loans next season and they are emergency loans if needed. That would be ideal, but probably too much to ask.

• Options
    One positive comment is that, with the exception of Smith whose recruitment appears to have been utterly pointless, all off our loanees this season actually gave a stuff. No faults in the effort department. Not always the case with loanees who can just coast their way through. I can’t see us retaining any of them except Stockley as I suspect their parent clubs will want the next stage of their development to be in the championship.  I’d have Miller back as he excites me and is a work in progress. The rest I’m not particularly  fussed about. 

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think loan players usually have a strong motivation to try hard and do well. I don't understand when people suggest otherwise.
  • Options
    I agree mate and I dont think anyone can suggest that Maatsen, Millar and Famwoe didnt try 100% for us this season. And for those of us that were super critical of them I always look at it this way. What would I think of a player if they were playing for the opposition ? Millar and Maatsen although frustrating at times would have scared the shit out of me if they were running at us lol