Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Will the IOC cancel the Tokyo Olympics?

Comments

• Options
    Well, obviously the roads, the stadia, the homes and the £40bn but otherwise what have the Olympics ever done for us?
    The jobs, don't forget the jobs 
  • Options
    National unity, what about national unity and a general sense of positivity - it was quite good for that...
  • Options
    MrWalker said:
    And the 11,000 new homes.

An the income from subsequent events. 

IOC report suggesting over $40 billion in benefits up to last year.

IOC that notoriously independent body.

If it's a general debate about the Olympics lots of countries have haemorrhaged cash on facilities that are barely used and the money could have been better used elsewhere.

My issue is not with the event but with how much money gets wasted. It seems much more about politics than sport.
  • Options
    Surely that is the individual government’s fault rather than the Olympics. 

They need to ensure a legacy. 
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Surely that is the individual government’s fault rather than the Olympics. 

They need to ensure a legacy. 
    It's a combination of the IOC and the governments. Very rarely looking back has there been much concern about legacy.

Existing facilities could be used more in many locations and the spend kept down. Most of the sports featured are minority sports and don't justify the spend.

A lot of politics in the event. I like the sport but not the excessive spend.

• Options
    MrWalker said:

If it's a general debate about the Olympics lots of countries have haemorrhaged cash on facilities that are barely used and the money could have been better used elsewhere.

My issue is not with the event but with how much money gets wasted. It seems much more about politics than sport.
    It was an independent report commissioned by the IOC. You can access it via the IOC website if you want to get up to speed on it.

Clearly I was commenting on London 2012.

If you can't see the massive benefits to London then I suggest you're not fully informed. 
  • Options
    MrWalker said:
    MrWalker said:

It was an independent report commissioned by the IOC. You can access it via the IOC website if you want to get up to speed on it.

Clearly I was commenting on London 2012.

If you can't see the massive benefits to London then I suggest you're not fully informed. 
    I'm not just talking about London. Whether the report is independent the IOC have clearly not been throughout history.

My issue with the Olympics is not about the sport but the massive cost of each event. Areas can be regenerated without the Olympics which in many cases is a political event.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    And those areas would not have been regenerated without the will to host the Olympics there.

Of course it's a lot of money to spend on just the Olympics, but the legacy is far more than that - and has certainly proved the case post 2012.
  • Options
    Addickted said:
    And those areas would not have been regenerated without the will to host the Olympics there.

Of course it's a lot of money to spend on just the Olympics, but the legacy is far more than that - and has certainly proved the case post 2012.
    Would there be a swimming pool, velodrome, etc, etc or just loads of private housing? Just have a quick look at what is going on in Lewisham to find out what would have happened 
  • Options
    Have the games, require all athletes and officials to be vaccinated, only allow vaccinated people in the stands…. If this is all done….what’s the problem?
  • Options
    Have the games, require all athletes and officials to be vaccinated, only allow vaccinated people in the stands…. If this is all done….what’s the problem?
    Only about 1% of Japanese vaccinated so far and issues with younger people, which is most athletes, jumping the queue.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Only about 1% of Japanese vaccinated so far and issues with younger people, which is most athletes, jumping the queue.
    They way I see it is this… then have no one in the stands. Would rather have that than ending the dream of 10,000 athletes, many of whom will never get another chance. As for jumping the queue…. We’ll, this is what they signed up for when they went after hosting… the responsibility to follow through. Logistically it’s just not that hard. It’s a matter of will. Per capita new cases are not all that different from England. Has England cancelled football?
  • Options
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-57760883

It's going to be awful having an Olympics without any fans at the events in Tokyo. I'm trying to imagine a 100m final, one of the peak events in sport, with no crowd whatsoever

It was bad enough having the Olympics with no foreign fans, as that's what gives the Olympics it's international festival atmosphere, especially as Japan isn't ethnically very diverse. Having fans supporting Pakistan at the cricket yesterday really improved the atmosphere for example.

I went to the wrestling in 2012, as I wanted to see some medals being won - all my other tickets had been for earlier round events - and it was great to see all the fans from other nationalities who really care about wrestling there, it made it a memorable afternoon.
  • Options
    Yes, massive shame. Won’t be the same 
  • Options
    Lack of fans and a pretty incompatible time zone for us (Opening Ceremony is at noon on a Friday for instance) mean this will be a very under the radar Olympics. It’s a shame because I enjoy the Games normally  especially seeing how much talent our nation has across different (sometimes obscure!) sports. I also enjoy watching 15 minutes of something I’ve never seen before and suddenly thinking I’m an expert!
  • Options
    Exactly. Really tough on the competitors in less-recognised sports who should have their chance to be in the spotlight but will be competing in empty halls and fields. It will be a tough watch too.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I can’t think of anyone under the age of 40 I know that cares about the Olympics, tbh. It’s for old people. Maybe a few here in the US will want to see Simone Biles and some will want to see the USA Men’s BB team. That’s it. I predict record low ratings. When I was 18 years old I was riveted by the Games. Your average 18 year old now probably can’t name a single Olympian.
    Im 37 and love the Olympics, unless you're talking about American interest in it?
  • Options
    I love the Olympics especially when it's in a time zone that means it is late at night or early morning. When else can I get the chance to tune in a watch a brit ( who I had probably not heard of before ) going for a medal in a sport I have no clue about. I was up for the curling, taekwondo, wrestling.common team GB
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Lack of fans and a pretty incompatible time zone for us (Opening Ceremony is at noon on a Friday for instance) mean this will be a very under the radar Olympics. It’s a shame because I enjoy the Games normally  especially seeing how much talent our nation has across different (sometimes obscure!) sports. I also enjoy watching 15 minutes of something I’ve never seen before and suddenly thinking I’m an expert!
    The first Olympics I watched, enjoyed and loved was Tokyo 1964. I was 9 and every morning the Olympics were on the tv. At a time when tv didn’t start until lunchtime and finished at 11pm ish.
    It is possible to enjoy sport at inconvenient times.
    Good morning Tokyo. 

However now I’m indifferent now as the Olympics are driven by money and sponsors, including niche sports that are laughable (to me). 
  • Options
    cafc999 said:

Still a waste of money. 
    But other than the regeneration of wasteland, the swimming pool, the loads of new jobs, the copper box, the velodrome, the added economic boost to one of the poorest areas in London and extra housing -  what did the Olympics ever do for us? 
     It cost 12 billion,  added hugely to pollution with the amount of concrete made and used and added a bit of housing where a lot could have been built. 

Newham can't cope with the social cost of new housing at the moment anyway. Hence the charge to builders towards that which Jenkin got round by telling the developers before hand , recently just as the charge was introduced. 

The UK is basically a small island with a tiny percentage of the planet’s population and yet it is one of the world’s wealthiest countries and continues to punch above its weight. The olympics was one of those things and opportunities that keeps that scenario going. It was also a fcking great few weeks. 
  • Options
    I can’t think of anyone under the age of 40 I know that cares about the Olympics, tbh. It’s for old people. Maybe a few here in the US will want to see Simone Biles and some will want to see the USA Men’s BB team. That’s it. I predict record low ratings. When I was 18 years old I was riveted by the Games. Your average 18 year old now probably can’t name a single Olympian.
    Im 37 and love the Olympics, unless you're talking about American interest in it?
    35 and love them too. No idea what @NapaAddick is chatting about!
  • Options
    cafc999 said:

Still a waste of money. 
    But other than the regeneration of wasteland, the swimming pool, the loads of new jobs, the copper box, the velodrome, the added economic boost to one of the poorest areas in London and extra housing -  what did the Olympics ever do for us? 
     It cost 12 billion,  added hugely to pollution with the amount of concrete made and used and added a bit of housing where a lot could have been built. 

Newham can't cope with the social cost of new housing at the moment anyway. Hence the charge to builders towards that which Jenkin got round by telling the developers before hand , recently just as the charge was introduced. 

The UK is basically a small island with a tiny percentage of the planet’s population and yet it is one of the world’s wealthiest countries and continues to punch above its weight. The olympics was one of those things and opportunities that keeps that scenario going. It was also a fcking great few weeks. 
    Agreed, I loved the London Olympics. I went to SO many events, especially as realistically it was the only time I'd have an Olympics on my doorstep
  • Options
    Can see why it’s a lot less of a thing in America as two of their biggest national sports aren’t included. 
  • Options
    Can see why it’s a lot less of a thing in America as two of their biggest national sports aren’t included. 
    True, but our biggest national sports aren't included either. Football isn't for us as we don't send a team. no cricket or rugby. It's a time to focus on other sports notably athletics. Also rowing and cycling become important because we seem win medals!