Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Will the IOC cancel the Tokyo Olympics?

Comments

• Options
    redman said:
    Can see why it’s a lot less of a thing in America as two of their biggest national sports aren’t included. 
    True, but our biggest national sports aren't included either. Football isn't for us as we don't send a team. no cricket or rugby. It's a time to focus on other sports notably athletics. Also rowing and cycling become important because we seem win medals! 
    Rugby’s in. Albeit the laughable 7s.
  • Options

Will the IOC cancel the Tokyo Olympics? .. they won't, but they should .. or at least delay it for a year .. problem of course is money .. the event has cost lodsa millions (any currency you care to name), and there is a need for the organisers and sponsors to get their dough bask a s a p

• Options
    bobmunro said:
    MrOneLung said:
    Cowardly IOC. Always dictating like an unwanted Cuckoo....what about the Japanese people then ?

Perhaps on future we can have an Olympics without tennis , football and all the other sports that have their own world events !
    What like athletics, rowing, swimming …

The Olympics is the main athletics event isn't  it. Rowing...not athletics. 

The Olympics is too bug , too expensive a d doesn't  need new venues every 4 years either. Use existing  ones.
    I say bring back chess to the Olympics.
    It has its own Olympiad. Held every two years. England’s best result is second.
  • Options
    I can’t think of anyone under the age of 40 I know that cares about the Olympics, tbh. It’s for old people. Maybe a few here in the US will want to see Simone Biles and some will want to see the USA Men’s BB team. That’s it. I predict record low ratings. When I was 18 years old I was riveted by the Games. Your average 18 year old now probably can’t name a single Olympian.
    Im 37 and love the Olympics, unless you're talking about American interest in it?
    31 and yes I bloody love it too!

I'll even cheer on the occasional Scot!
  • Options
    I can’t think of anyone under the age of 40 I know that cares about the Olympics, tbh. It’s for old people. Maybe a few here in the US will want to see Simone Biles and some will want to see the USA Men’s BB team. That’s it. I predict record low ratings. When I was 18 years old I was riveted by the Games. Your average 18 year old now probably can’t name a single Olympian.
    Im 37 and love the Olympics, unless you're talking about American interest in it?

Was with you till this bit of nonsense...
  • Options

Was with you till this bit of nonsense...
    Chill out, was very much tongue in cheek
  • Options
    That’s because the US coverage of the whole event is absolutely dreadful. Trying to shoehorn backstories and emotional nonsense into every event like it’s an episode of Pop Idol. Not forgetting cutting away to ad breaks in the middle of a race etc.

Get a broadcaster who treats it like the BBC does and I guarantee the US viewership numbers would increase overnight.

Absolutely, it’s bloody unwatchable. It’s also almost 100% USA-centric. If an American isn’t involved, there’s a good chance you won’t see it. It seems like the “peak viewing” evening show is 60% backstory, 20% analysis and 20% actual sports.  
  • Options
    You should see the Thai coverage. Thais aren't generally very good at swimming or athletics so Thai TV doesn't really cover these, nor any of the sports like rowing, kayaking, yachting. No, Thai TV will show weightlifting, boxing and maybe volleyball. Not much else.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Somebody in the Olympic village has already tested positive. 

I can't believe this Olympics is allowed to take place!!
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Can see why it’s a lot less of a thing in America as two of their biggest national sports aren’t included. 
    Shooting people and over-eating? 
    Bit Xenophobic isn’t it?
  • Options
    1 official and 2 athletes test Covid positive in the Olympic 'villlage' .. let's hope the games do not degenerate into an even bigger mess 
  • Options
    1 official and 2 athletes test Covid positive in the Olympic 'villlage' .. let's hope the games do not degenerate into an even bigger mess 
    On the positive side, with every athlete being constantly tested this could turn out to be the first dope free modern Olympics 
    there is possibly that, though I doubt the two testing regimes will overlap
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Bit Xenophobic isn’t it?
    Fair shout 
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    You should see the Thai coverage. Thais aren't generally very good at swimming or athletics so Thai TV doesn't really cover these, nor any of the sports like rowing, kayaking, yachting. No, Thai TV will show weightlifting, boxing and maybe volleyball. Not much else.
    I think every country does that. If it’s not important to them either culturally or because they have no participants at the top level there’s no interest.

I lived in Ireland during the 2012 Games. The coverage reflected Irish interest and Irish hopes of medals. I remember lots of boxing a bit of rowing and hardly anything else. So when I talk to people about 2012 I’m out of the loop when it comes to the British national memory of the Games.
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Chizz said:
    Bit Xenophobic isn’t it?
    I think they are the “best” in the world at both. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It's going to be so hollow it's almost not worth having it.  So many withdrawals and no fans make it almost pointless.  It's like the boycotted Olympics of the 80s.

The athletes I feel most sorry for are the ones for whom the Olympics are the pinicle of their sport and missed out on Rio and might not make Paris.

I get why it's going ahead but it really shouldn't, after 10 days in the Olympic Village everyone will be isolated.  You'll end up with a shot puter winning the 100 meters because they are the only person left. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    It's going to be so hollow it's almost not worth having it.  So many withdrawals and no fans make it almost pointless.  It's like the boycotted Olympics of the 80s.

The athletes I feel most sorry for are the ones for whom the Olympics are the pinicle of their sport and missed out on Rio and might not make Paris.

I get why it's going ahead but it really shouldn't, after 10 days in the Olympic Village everyone will be isolated.  You'll end up with a shot puter winning the 100 meters because they are the only person left. 
    All seems a bit pointless.
  • Options
    Can imagine a lot of the US only watching the basketball.

Weird that more Americans aren't interested though, especially as they'll no doubt top the medal table. However i guess the time difference won't help as 8-9pm in Tokyo is the middle of the night on the west coast.
  • Options
    However tough it is for all the people who have worked so hard to compete in these olympics,bringing together ,sportsmen and women from every corner of the world is a disaster waiting to happen.
  • Options
    iainment said:
    I think every country does that. If it’s not important to them either culturally or because they have no participants at the top level there’s no interest.

I lived in Ireland during the 2012 Games. The coverage reflected Irish interest and Irish hopes of medals. I remember lots of boxing a bit of rowing and hardly anything else. So when I talk to people about 2012 I’m out of the loop when it comes to the British national memory of the Games.
    Yep. As a good example, handball at the Olympics gets huge coverage in Denmark (given that they’re among the best in the world and it’s also the 2nd most popular sport in Denmark), where I doubt a single second will be shown on UK TV.
  • Options
    That’s because the US coverage of the whole event is absolutely dreadful. Trying to shoehorn backstories and emotional nonsense into every event like it’s an episode of Pop Idol. Not forgetting cutting away to ad breaks in the middle of a race etc.

Get a broadcaster who treats it like the BBC does and I guarantee the US viewership numbers would increase overnight.

Absolutely, it’s bloody unwatchable. It’s also almost 100% USA-centric. If an American isn’t involved, there’s a good chance you won’t see it. It seems like the “peak viewing” evening show is 60% backstory, 20% analysis and 20% actual sports.  
    I heard it is so US oriented that they don't cover anyone else even for example Kathy Freeman in Sydney
  • Options
    Danepak said:
    iainment said:

Yep. As a good example, handball at the Olympics gets huge coverage in Denmark (given that they’re among the best in the world and it’s also the 2nd most popular sport in Denmark), where I doubt a single second will be shown on UK TV.
    With 25 sports (or whatever the number) I guess there's something for everything

I took advantage of 2012 to go and see a number a sports I'd never seen before or had little knowledge of, and really enjoyed it, the likes of handball, water polo and wrestling. The women's handball match was between 2 Scandinavian countries

Wrestling is another sport which has little UK interest, but is really big in central Asia. There were loads of passionate Iranian fans there creating a great atmosphere
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    iaitch said:
    Danepak said:
    iainment said:

With 25 sports (or whatever the number) I guess there's something for everything

I took advantage of 2012 to go and see a number a sports I'd never seen before or had little knowledge of, and really enjoyed it, the likes of handball, water polo and wrestling. The women's handball match was between 2 Scandinavian countries

Wrestling is another sport which has little UK interest, but is really big in central Asia. There were loads of passionate Iranian fans there creating a great atmosphere
    Waiting for Anna Kissed to say how many horses drowned in the water polo.

He'll be too busy waving Palestinian flags at the Judo events.