Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Eurovision 2021

Comments

• Options
    I dont think its because we're not liked, I think its becoming a myth meaning that the public take it less seriously every year resulting in a poor choice representing us.

e.g. Until last night the UK had won it a lot more recently than; Italy (1990), France (1977) and Switzerland (1988) who were the top three... Portugal themselves have only won it the once (2017), whilst the recent Netherlands victory was their fifth win yet first since 1975

Spain, you have to go back to 1969 whilst Germany won in 2010, yet 1982 was their only other victory.

Are each of those Nations struggling because Europe dont like them? 
  • Options
    We don’t do well because we choose shit songs with crappy performers mainly. But also because British (English) taste in music isn’t shared with those who like Eurovision.
  • Options
    I dont think its because we're not liked, I think its becoming a myth meaning that the public take it less seriously every year resulting in a poor choice representing us.

e.g. Until last night the UK had won it a lot more recently than; Italy (1990), France (1977) and Switzerland (1988) who were the top three... Portugal themselves have only won it the once (2017), whilst the recent Netherlands victory was their fifth win yet first since 1975

Spain, you have to go back to 1969 whilst Germany won in 2010, yet 1982 was their only other victory.

Are each of those Nations struggling because Europe dont like them? 
    I get your point @ForeverAddickted, it just seems as though, since our last victory in 1997, our scores have got progressively worse and the 'political' scoring is defo worse than it was back in the day.
    Perhaps I'm just pissed off that far worse songs get scores and we don't! I think there is a dislike and it, to me, is becoming worse.
    However in the grand scheme of things it's a song competition and not the end of the world 👍
  • Options
    I said to my Mrs last night, the UK will never win this again, in fact we will be nearer the bottom or bottom every year. I suggested we ask a world renowned band to chuck out a song one year, perhaps Coldplay, Franz Ferdinand, Florence and the Machine etc etc and I guarantee you will still wouldn't win!! We are not liked end of, and perhaps we've only got ourselves to blame?
    The stupid thing is we are one of the 'big 5' as we chip in to the cost of it all.
    Perhaps if we just said "oh well not paying any more we don't want a guaranteed final place" and we take our chances in the semi finals it wouldn't be so bad.
    Our singer last night I believe has won Brit awards and an Emmy? Yet came last with zero points.....what a farce! The song was no worldy classic but was better than some of the other dross last night, including the song from Switzerland!
    He’d won awards as a songwriter, not as a performer. The performance was definitely one of the worst on the night, and too bland to even secure a zany vote from those with “unique” musical tastes (see: Germany). I thought ours was similar to Spain’s but their singer at least sounded better than ours so wasn’t surprised we were bottom with nil point.
  • Options
    iainment said:
    We don’t do well because we choose shit songs with crappy performers mainly. But also because British (English) taste in music isn’t shared with those who like Eurovision.
    Don’t buy it, look at the Apple Music national charts, and there isn’t massive difference in the top 20s between the UK, France, Germany, Italy and Spain for example. 

We don’t put decent acts up, with decent songs and staging.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    The European song contest is a misnomer.
    Australia and Israel joined Europe when ?

It's camp, crass, and is a panto but I watch it every year and hate the heavy metal shit and the arseholes who are 40 years late to the look at us we are effing rebels. Keep sniffing Charlie guys and you can be rebels without a cause.

Russian grannies or young beautiful blondes on a milk stall is why I watch not for Italy, Finland to debase the nonsense that is this "competition" To be honest, I will leave the Russian Grannies to Wayne Rooney, I prefer the artistic choreography of the blonde Milkmaid, of two years ago. (Maybe longer ?) 

Heavy rock has no place in this folk, pop, dressing up, burlesque evening of European madness.

We are UK, no one likes us, but we do care.

• Options

I’d also add, we give it to Radio 2 to do the finding and light entertainment, where I think we do better if this was a Radio 1 thing with the backing of BBC music. 

If you look at the acts from the rest of Europe, they get played on their equivalents of Radio 1/Capital/Kiss
  • Options
    The European song contest is a misnomer.
    Australia and Israel joined Europe when ?

It's camp, crass, and is a panto but I watch it every year and hate the heavy metal shit and the arseholes who are 40 years late to the look at us we are effing rebels.

Russian grannies or young beautiful blondes on a milk stall is why I watch not for Italy, Finland to debase the nonsense that is this "competition" To be honest, I will leave the Russian Grannies to Wayne Rooney, I prefer the artistic choreography of the blonde Milkmaid, of two years ago. (Maybe longer ?) 

Heavy rock has no place in this folk, pop, dressing up, burlesque evening of European madness.

We are UK, no one likes us, but we do care.

"Europe" is a myth with the song contest

Its not Europe as a continent but its members of the EBU (European Broadcasting Union) - Australia are certainly the odd ones out as think they were purely invited but Morocco and Kazakhstan have the potential to be involved in the future
  • Options
    Boy George and Bleed from within, in tandem would blow the others out of the water.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2021
    I only saw Iceland’s entry and that was a enough for the night. Some strange people out there.
  • Options
    The public vote is so out of Sync with the jury votes and carries too many points.

It's not over till the large lady sings; shame the girl from Malta didn't win or the guy with the high pitched voice from Portugal.

• Options
    it’s not a music competition, it’s a tongue in cheek cabaret evening. No self respecting music bod wants anything to do with it.
  • Options
    Just looked and saw the song that won. Just awful, shows how bad the others were.
  • Options
    I would pay some decent money to have Placebo play say Pure Morning or the more recent band, say Royal Blood playing Typhoons on Eurovision. 
  • Options
    When ‘Show us your Talent’ is preferable Saturday night entertainment, it says it all really. When a country such as the UK, that has a rich history of producing musical talent, finishes last in a singing completion with ‘Nul Point’, it just shows what the rest of Europe think of us. Mind you, the song and the singer were truly awful
  • Options
    If we don’t finish above Germany it’s a crime. Go on England 
    CID are on the case.

Actually, I completely agree.  The German abomination is probably the worse song ever in the history of the competition.
  • Options
    I’ve only been up an hour.
    Stayed up until 4am dancing to ABBA 😎

Gutted for Daði but in my heart of hearts, once they couldn’t perform live, knew it would be hard for them to win.

But I’m so very happy that I found them. Completely reignited my passion for music. They are the first new music I have listened to in years.

That Italian nonsense wasn’t even proper rock, Finland much better. 

But once that dozy French bird opened her gob about two French speaking songs being the best (in English 😂😂) I knew neither would win 🤟🏼👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

What on earth was the UK thinking? Awful 😣 Still, as Amanda Holden proved, we are definitely Millwall 🙄
  • Options
    edited May 2021

UK Public’s 12 points went to Lithuania. Other countries that gave Lithuania 12 points: Ireland, Germany, Norway and Latvia.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    my missus is never allowed to complain about anything I ever watch on TV after having to sit through that!

Yes, there are some brownie points to be had. That said, when it finished we both agreed that we had wasted 3 hours of our lives that we would never get back.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    There is a bitterness towards us which to be fair we bring on ourselves to a certain degree. When you are perceived as a nation to dislike foreigners, foreigners may not like you back. There are also different musical tastes which we will all struggle with. That song with the woman screeching felt like being nagged, but a lot seemed to like it. Cyprus and Greece sang songs that were not really of a Greek style, but they still gave each other 12 points. Ultimately, do we care if we get nil points? I care more that a song that I thought was clearly in the top four (Cyprus) and I bet on wasn't appreciated as such. The Swiss song was crap and the French one so generic and bland it was unreal.
  • Options
    I thought the French song was typical Eurovision bait , there's one of those type of big native language ballads every year that does really well. Was surprised San Marino rolling out Flo Rida as a guest artist didn't go down as well as I might have expected.

Think Iceland with a proper live performance would have been right up there , really like Daoi 
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    my missus is never allowed to complain about anything I ever watch on TV after having to sit through that!

Yes, there are some brownie points to be had. That said, when it finished we both agreed that we had wasted 3 hours of our lives that we would never get back.

Try the Doobie Brothers on Sky Arts. Two hours that you won't regret.  
  • Options
    I only saw Iceland’s entry and that was a enough for the night. Some strange people out there.
    Telling me, that was my favourite out of the lot 😂
  • Options
    There is a bitterness towards us which to be fair we bring on ourselves to a certain degree. When you are perceived as a nation to dislike foreigners, foreigners may not like you back. There are also different musical tastes which we will all struggle with. That song with the woman screeching felt like being nagged, but a lot seemed to like it. Cyprus and Greece sang songs that were not really of a Greek style, but they still gave each other 12 points. Ultimately, do we care if we get nil points? I care more that a song that I thought was clearly in the top four (Cyprus) and I bet on wasn't appreciated as such. The Swiss song was crap and the French one so generic and bland it was unreal.
    All your points on Eurovision accepted BUT what evidence is there to suggest we are perceived as disliking foreigners?? 
  • Options
    I wonder what the reaction in Germany is to their massive 3 points? I thought their little ditty was a fun number - just what Eurovision was supposed to be about.

Are they blaming it on the annexing of the Sudetenland?
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

Did you double up on the  weekend bore-fest by watching the Monaco GP too?