Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Looking at next season’s competition...

Wycombe
Rotherham
Sheffield Wednesday
Blackpool OR Lincoln
Sunderland
Oxford
(Charlton)
Portsmouth
Ipswich
Gillingham
Accrington
Crewe
MK Dons
Doncaster
Fleetwood
Burton
Shrewsbury
Plymouth
Wimbledon
Wigan
Cheltenham
Cambridge
Bolton
Morecambe OR Newport OR Tranmere OR Forest Green

I think there’s about eighteen/nineteen sides there who will believe they can challenge for top six with the right summer recruitment. I count seven/eight teams who will be targeting the top two.

Even teams like Doncaster, Fleetwood, Burton who had poor seasons will be looking to bounce back. Can we count on Ipswich/Portsmouth being as bad next season? How much can we reasonably expect Wigan and Bolton to improve?

Comments

• Options
    And who will be the surprise package of the season.

Havent paid too much attention but have read a few times that Cheltenham under Mike Duff certainly play a decent brand of Football, they'll have the promotion bounce and could well carry on into next year.

Shrewsbury too under Steve Cotterill showed glimpses of a team that could be very organised, whilst Steve has a good record at this level

Its all about how everyone builds this summer, and how teams take advantage of the loan market.
  • Options
    Fewer teams that we're expected to walk over is probably a good things for us, based on this season. I'm looking forward to a league with more competition and quality, and hopefully with the right recruitment, we can be at the forefront of that.
  • Options
    Lots of teams/fans with high expectations but not all going to be met. Some teams will do much better than expected, some much worse. And of course as we know from personal experience a team that looks very dangerous early on can have it's form drop off a cliff with a few unfortunate injuries.

What we have to hope is that Adkins' proven record at promotion and his positive attitude give us an edge.
  • Options
    It's looking like next season will be tougher than the season just finished.
    Is it? Or is that just a cliché?
  • Options
    If Lincoln don’t go up they could lose some of their better players - we finished mid table in 10/11 and then signed Hollands and Wiggins from Bournemouth soon after they lost in the playoffs.
  • Options
    Would people take/be satisfied with  3rd place right now, with no idea what recruitment etc we’ll be getting 
  • Options
    Would people take/be satisfied with  3rd place right now, with no idea what recruitment etc we’ll be getting 
    Might aswell come 6th ohhahh
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I can see Sheffield Wednesday really struggling in League One. They’ve got a massive financial hole in the club so they won’t be keen to dig much deeper. 

Every club in the division will see beating them as a scalp, especially at Hillsborough. Nevertheless, it’s going to be the most competitive and tough League One this year
  • Options
    I wouldn’t take it now. I’m sure we’ll be top 6. 
  • Options
    I can see Sheffield Wednesday really struggling in League One. They’ve got a massive financial hole in the club so they won’t be keen to dig much deeper. 

Every club in the division will see beating them as a scalp, especially at Hillsborough. Nevertheless, it’s going to be the most competitive and tough League One this year
    Agree with you. Dad and I have been saying that ever since they were relegated, think they’ll struggle, 
  • Options

Agree with you. Dad and I have been saying that ever since they were relegated, think they’ll struggle, 
    Especially since they haven’t paid their players for 3 months, recently tried to furlough them and are under a transfer embargo. They’ll be nowhere near the top 6. 
  • Options
    I don’t know how anyone can make that assessment in May, before any business has been done.
  • Options

Agreed, we hear about players coming to the valley and looking forward to it as we're a big club. Let's be honest, Sheffield Wednesday are a "massive" third division club. With their finances you would expect them to tighten up and I think it will take a season to sort it out. Expect them to be more serious about promotion in 22/23 than 21/22. 
  • Options
    all rubbish, we are going to smash these to pieces . 
  • Options
    JaShea99 said:
    I don’t know how anyone can make that assessment in May, before any business has been done.
    Agree with that, even then it will be tough to call. This time last year I’m sure many would have said Ipswich & Pompey would have been there or there abouts and I doubt many would have picked Lincoln for the playoff final. 

We just need to get our business done well and early, this summer is a massive test of Sandgaard and his intentions. 
  • Options

Massive, lol!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2021
  • Options
    the bookies have it as a VERY tight call .. here are the Paddy P Prices (Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers)

English League 1 Odds & Betting » Paddy Power™
  • Options
    Accrington Stanley
    AFC Wimbledon
    Bolton Wanderers
    Burton Albion
    Cambridge Utd
    Charlton Athletic
    Cheltenham Town
    Crewe Alexandra
    Doncaster Rovers
    Fleetwood Town
    Gillingham
    Ipswich Town
    Lincoln City
    MK Dons
    Morecambe
    Oxford Utd
    Plymouth
    Portsmouth
    Rotherham Utd
    Sheffield Wednesday
    Shrewsbury Town
    Sunderland
    Wigan Athletic
    Wycombe Wanderers
  • Options
    How does half the post come out double spaced and the other half doesn’t???
  • Options
    Wasn’t sure where to post this (and it may have already been posted on another thread), but just been sent this. No idea of source, and therefore its accuracy. Interesting to look at anyway. 

• Options
    Plenty of trips up north.

• Options
    Or around the corner for some 😁😁😁
  • Options
    A far nicer version of the table for next season...

• Options
    Zero points and only one defeat from the relegation zone... What is Adkins playing at