Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Looking at next season’s competition...

2»

Comments

• Options
    We are all in League One for reason and that's because we are not yet good enough for the Championship. If we can win 15 games at home and 10 away, we will go up automatically. Need to bring in the right players and be ready to start well. Need a dominant central midfielder and a 20 goal plus striker. Bridcutt and Clarke-Harris would be a good start.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Plenty of trips up north.

@Doucher is talking about doing one of them games.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Thomas and Nigel have been very positive about our chances next season and that is my expectation unless things happen to change it.  I think announcing the re-signing of players we are trying to re-sign would be a great first step as it will show there is confidence in the project. 

It is a mistake IMO to worry about other teams when this stage is about us and whilst we can make some educated guesses, we don't know who will be strong or not next season. What we saw under Powell is that if you make the right recruitment decisions you can get out of this league reasonably easily. The question is, can we? The owner is definitely better and we have a tried and tested manager.

I don't see why not, but my recollection of the summer under Powell was how smooth it was. It felt like decent players wanted to sign for us and a lot of business was done reasonably quickly. I recall speaking to my friends/family who are Bournemouth supporters when we played them the season before and they were raving about Wiggins and when we signed him it made me think something positive was going on. 
  • Options
    Zero points and only one defeat from the relegation zone... What is Adkins playing at
    At least we are in the play off places.
  • Options
    A far nicer version of the table for next season...

Sheffield Wednesday and Sunderland struggling 
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Anyone up for a 1-24 prediction? Here’s mine:

1. Sunderland
    2. Ipswich
    -
    3. Sheffield Wednesday
    4. Charlton
    5. Rotherham
    6. Wigan
    -
    7. Portsmouth
    8. Burton
    9. Oxford
    10. Crewe
    11. Lincoln
    12. Wycombe
    13. Bolton
    14. Accrington
    15. MK Dons
    16. Gillingham
    17. Doncaster
    18. Fleetwood
    19. Plymouth
    20. Wimbledon
    -
    21. Shrewsbury
    22. Cheltenham
    23. Cambridge
    24. Morecambe

• Options
    We are all in League One for reason and that's because we are not yet good enough for the Championship. If we can win 15 games at home and 10 away, we will go up automatically. Need to bring in the right players and be ready to start well. Need a dominant central midfielder and a 20 goal plus striker. Bridcutt and Clarke-Harris would be a good start.
    That wore well. 
  • Options

1. Rotherham
    2. Ipswich
    -
    3. Sunderland
    4. Charlton
    5. Wigan
    6. Oxford
    -
    7. Portsmouth
    8. Burton
    9. Sheffield Wednesday
    10. Milton Keynes
    11. Bolton
    12. Gillingham
    13. Lincoln
    14. Accrington
    15. Crewe
    16. Wycombe
    17. Doncaster
    18. Fleetwood
    19. Shrewsbury
    20. Wimbledon
    -
    21. Plymouth
    22. Cheltenham
    23. Cambridge
    24. Morecambe
  • Options

1. Sunderland
    2. Ipswich
    -
    3. Sheffield Wednesday
    4. Charlton
    5. Rotherham
    6. Wigan
    -
    7. Portsmouth
    8. Burton
    9. Oxford
    10. Crewe
    11. Lincoln
    12. Wycombe
    13. Bolton
    14. Accrington
    15. MK Dons
    16. Gillingham
    17. Doncaster
    18. Fleetwood
    19. Plymouth
    20. Wimbledon
    -
    21. Shrewsbury
    22. Cheltenham
    23. Cambridge
    24. Morecambe

1. Ipswich
    2. Rotherham
    -
    3. Sheff. Wed
    4. Wycombe
    5. Charlton
    6. Sunderland
    -
    7. Portsmouth
    8. Bolton
    9. Wigan
    10. Lincoln
    11. Burton
    12. Oxford
    13. MK Dons
    14. Plymouth
    15. Gills
    16. Accrington
    17. Shrewsbury
    18. Doncaster
    19. AFC Wimbledon
    20. Cheltenham
    -
    21. Crewe
    22. Fleetwood
    23. Cambridge
    24. Morcambe
  • Options
    1. Ipswich
    2. Rotherham
    -
    3. Portsmouth 
    4. Wycombe
    5. Wigan
    6. Sunderland
    -
    7. MK Dons
    8. Charlton 
    9. Sheff Weds
    10. Lincoln
    11. Burton
    12. Oxford
    13. Doncaster
    14. Plymouth
    15. Gills
    16. Crewe
    17. Fleetwood
    18. Cheltenham
    19. AFC Wimbledon
    20. Cambridge
    -
    21. Accrington
    22. Shrewsbury
    23. Plymouth 
    24. Morcambe
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    1. Sheffield Wednesday
    2. Ipswich
    -
    3. Sunderland
    4. Wigan
    5. Charlton
    6. Rotherham
    -
    7. Portsmouth
    8. Wycombe
    9. Gillingham
    10. Bolton
    11. Lincoln
    12. Burton
    13. Crewe
    14. Accrington
    15. Oxford
    16. Wimbledon
    17. Doncaster
    18. Fleetwood
    19. Plymouth
    20. Fleetwood
    -
    21. Shrewsbury
    22. Cheltenham
    23. Cambridge
    24. Morecambe
  • Options
    Rotherham are the league winners for me unless we or someone like Ipswich really turn it on early. They were desperately unlucky to go down last season and in Paul Warne they have a very capable manager and a squad that won't struggle at this level 

Sheffield Wednesday have got problems and I think will end up hovering above relegation

Ipswich will be boom or bust, they have cleared out a lot of the players who got them to this level and stubbornly kept them here and have bought in some very good signings on paper, if the gel they will be hard to imagine outside the top 2 

Wycombe I think will annoy a lot of fans if clubs like ours, their centre forward is a monster and they have kept the bulk of their squad together 

Portsmouth are in trouble I think and will have a transitional season but they have the right people in charge there in the Cowley brothers 

Sunderland and Lee Johnson are going to have another season of their fans going apeshit about how bad they actually are and how much they will miss Wyke, a guy they only have taken to in the last 10 months 

As for us, Nigel Adkins knows this league, we have a very strong starting 11 on paper and as long as we don't suffer our usual crisis with 11 or so senior players getting injured in the pavilion at sparrows Lane we have the makings of a good squad a healthy blend of experience and some good young players to hopefully step up. If Albie Morgan is given a chance and hits the ground running he can become a club legend, I love the kid think he carries quality around with him. Davidson, Barker, Henry, Vennings and Dempsey too all have opportunities to become the next generation spine of the club. Jayden Stockley staying fit is crucial, the guy is a genuine nightmare for defences. With a sprinkling of say 3 experienced professionals to come in to compliment Dobson and Clare who I think will become a fan favourite very quickly we have a very strong chance if top 6 maybe even top 3 
  • Options
    Oh and Wigan, new owners are either showing serious ambitious intent or are plain stupid with the money they are spending but they will be another strong squad 
  • Options
    I think it’s going to be a very poor league this season.  I thought it was desperately poor last season, which is why we managed to only miss out on the play offs by GD.

As mentioned on the rumours thread, I agree that a lot of clubs cannot pay what players were on pre-covid, which means a lot of transfers are on hold.  Football’s finances have taken a battering and hopefully it will mean a correction on player wages from the Championship down.  I don’t have anything against people making money, but too many average players have been making too much money out of the game for too long.  No disrespect to JFC, but I think someone said he was on £5k a week prior to his deal expiring in the summer.  That’s quarter of a million a year.  For a league one footballer 

That’s more than some execs in organisations that make profits.  We need a reset, and I hope footballer’s wages in general get pegged down quite a bit.

If that means more teams have youth players making up more of their 23 man squad then I guess that’s the way it has to be.

The difficulty for some of those footballers that have been earning tens of thousands a week and can’t find a club will be an adjustment in lifestyle perhaps.  

Too soon to tell, but I think the game outside the Prem has changed for good.  No more stupid money unless you’re an Ipswich or Wigan who are going all guns blazing, but let’s see how that works out if they miss out on promotion 
  • Options
    L! this season is getting close to the Championship situation .. lots of decent teams, no really obvious rubbish ones, no real stand outs .. the big difference between the divisions though is the golden parachute cash .. this season will be a good one barring anymore Covid panics
  • Options
    Top 6 comfortably.

Bizarrely if the transfer window shut now top 4 comfortably. 
  • Options
    I expect, at a minimum, progress. Which would mean playoffs. 

The manager & owner have set higher expectations than that however and I hope they can deliver.