Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Living in Southampton

Is anyone here a Southampton resident, or nearby? I've started a new job with Ordnance Survey based there. Currently working from home but will be moving down that way in the next couple of months. I'm looking for any advice about nice places to live or places to avoid. I live on my own so don't want a quiet village in the middle of nowhere but also don't want to end up in Student Central!

Comments

• Options
    Hi Wilma, myself and @southamptonaddick live here :smile: 

St Marys is a place to avoid. Just a tad rough and parking is non existent. 

Dependent on budget, Ocean Village is a nice place to live and is close to city centre and some bars in Ocean Village itself. 

I lived in Bassett and that was a nice, quiet place to live but again only 5 minutes drive from the City Centre and 15-20 minute drive to Ordnance Survey. 

Just at work at the moment so thats off the top of my head but if I think of anything ill put it in here!
  • Options

Dependent on budget, Ocean Village is a nice place to live and is close to city centre and some bars in Ocean Village itself. 

I lived in Bassett and that was a nice, quiet place to live but again only 5 minutes drive from the City Centre and 15-20 minute drive to Ordnance Survey. 

Just at work at the moment so thats off the top of my head but if I think of anything ill put it in here!
    Thank you, much appreciated. 
  • Options
    Good luck with your job @Wilma, working for Ordnance Survey would have been my dream job, as I love maps.
  • Options
    Romsey quite nice and nearby!
  • Options
    cafcpolo said:
    Think Mid Summer murders was filmed there, Father in Law lived there for many years after moving from Bromley. Said it took him years to get use to the slower pace, and politeness of the locals!
  • Options
    If you can afford it Winchester but thats a little bit away.  Further is Eastleigh but not a bad place to live. You can be a member of the Hampshire Hogg club like me.
  • Options
    I worked for months down in Southampton and stayed in Shirley for a fair chunk which is a bit of a shithole and actually used to drive past the ordinance survey place on the way to and from the yard. I then moved myself to a place called the polygon nearer the city centre and had a great time at both places. Thoroughly recommend Southampton as somewhere to live and work, like any city it has its shitholes but as previously mentioned Ocean Village is very nice and whilst they aren't cheap places down by the big dock where the QE2 was docked are very nice. Most of the surrounding areas are nice
  • Options
    cafcpolo said:
    Romsey is nice but quite expensive. I grew up there but no chance I'd be able to afford to live there now. 

Personally I'd recommend looking at Shirley. Close enough to the Ordnance Survey (including a direct bus service to Adanac Park) but also quite close to town and the main train station. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Carter said:
    I worked for months down in Southampton and stayed in Shirley for a fair chunk which is a bit of a shithole and actually used to drive past the ordinance survey place on the way to and from the yard. I then moved myself to a place called the polygon nearer the city centre and had a great time at both places. Thoroughly recommend Southampton as somewhere to live and work, like any city it has its shitholes but as previously mentioned Ocean Village is very nice and whilst they aren't cheap places down by the big dock where the QE2 was docked are very nice. Most of the surrounding areas are nice
    I'd have to disagree with you on Shirley. Whilst some areas are a bit ropey, it's certainly not a shit hole. I lived there for the last 9-10 years (have now moved to Worthing) and I think it's come up a lot.
  • Options

First and only point I was going to make, avoid St Mary’s, long been a red light area. My sister lived there when at Uni in the late 70s.
    Quite a vibrant music scene in normal times, Southampton is fine.
  • Options
    There’s a road called Matt Le Tissier on the old Dell. Always fancied that. Good away trip to the tight Dell
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Like any city the more you've got to spend the nicer the area.
    Obviously depends if you're renting or buying.
    Nursling area is nice and very near the OS but can be expensive.
    Do your research and I'm sure you'll find the right place in the right area and at least you haven't got to move to Portsmouth.  ;)
  • Options
    Good luck with your job @Wilma, working for British Rail would have been my dream job, as I love Timetables.
    Corrected for you ... #YoureWelcome
  • Options
    AVOID - Portswood & Jesters night club - Student Central
  • Options
    Good luck Wilma, looks like you’ve got you future all mapped out 
    Legend!
  • Options
    The Premier Inn at Southampton has a cracking view of St Mary’s in all its glory. Not sure how an area so close to a city centre can be so awful. Took a couple of wrong turnings and was a real eye opener. 
  • Options
    Carter said:
    I'd have to disagree with you on Shirley. Whilst some areas are a bit ropey, it's certainly not a shit hole. I lived there for the last 9-10 years (have now moved to Worthing) and I think it's come up a lot.
    Thats fair and as a resident you have a better flavour for the place than I got. For co text I was staying above the pub that I think is now a dentist at the bottom of Oakley Road and it was like the fucking jockey from shameless. Nice big houses though round there I'm probably guilty of building my assumption of the place on the back of the clientele in the pub 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Carter said:
    So, to summarise you are saying that you used to live there, you’ve moved out and the area has improved...
    Ha, well I guess that's one way of looking at it! Although my brother is soon to be moving there so it won't last!
  • Options
    The Premier Inn at Southampton has a cracking view of St Mary’s in all its glory. Not sure how an area so close to a city centre can be so awful. Took a couple of wrong turnings and was a real eye opener. 
    Have you never been to Bradford 🙀
  • Options
    AVOID - Portswood & Jesters night club - Student Central
    Oi, spent a few years living in Portswood, and probably several cumulative years in Clowns and Jesters. (Fair enough, unless you are a student, avoid).
  • Options
    My step daughter has just moved from Streatham to Southampton I'll ask her tomorrow.

I live in West Sussex and have only ever been for either football or Ikea nothing else.
  • Options
    Southampton seems nice enough but any place that produced Craig David and Charlie Dimmock can’t be fully trusted.
  • Options
    Thank you for all the helpful suggestions... and the jokes 🙂
  • Options
    Wilma said:
    Thank you for all the helpful suggestions... and the jokes 🙂
    Not too sure all of them have helped, good luck B)
  • Options
    Carter said:
    I live in Shirley now but nearer town side and it certainly has its fair share of ....characters. 

Very convenient place to live though. 2 big supermarkets and smaller ones like Co-Op and Tesco Express. Few nice bars now and some decent takeaways aswell!

There are better parts of Shirley off the high street though.