Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Living in Southampton

2»

Comments

• Options
    Wilma said:
    Wilma said:
    Thank you for all the helpful suggestions... and the jokes 🙂
    Not too sure all of them have helped, good luck B)
    I've learnt that Shirley is a nice place to live and also a shithole, so extremely helpful! 
    To be fair, I remember very early on in the regeneration of Docklands a colleague from up north was telling us he was buying a house on the isle of dogs and asking what we thought of the area and everybody in the bank telling him he was mad...lucky for him he ignored us all
  • Options
    Loads commute to Southampton from around Bournemouth. Can be less than 30 minutes on the train but obviously increased costs and hassle involved which heavily counts against it.

On the other hand, have you seen the beaches in Southampton?!!
  • Options
    I entered Shirley once and it wasn't a shithole.

sorry....

• Options
    I lived in Southampton for a few years (mature student). Being used to London at the time, I found it noticably less busy and I kind of missed that (I don't now). So I would say it depends on what sort of lifestyle you have. If you like going out and about in the evening a lot I would live as close to the centre as poss. However, if you want a slightly less full on centre I would go for somewhere like Eastleigh or Chandlers Ford. Shops and stuff but also lots of nice countryside very nearby - good walks and pubs. If money is no object Winchester is a good mix of busy and quiet spaces.
  • Options
    Wilma said:
    Moving day today, currently sitting on the floor waiting for the movers to get here. I'm in Upper Shirley by the common. Looking forward to discovering my new home!

Edit to add, if you've heard bad things, please don't say now! 
    Good luck.
  • Options
    Wilma said:
    Moving day today, currently sitting on the floor waiting for the movers to get here. I'm in Upper Shirley by the common. Looking forward to discovering my new home!

Upper Shirley is fine so long as its not near the common.................................... :)

Only joking, good luck with the move and I hope you settle in quickly and have fun.
  • Options
    Wilma said:

Quite a nice area by the common. Lots of nice walks and not too far from the city centre.
    Good luck with your move and if you see me, my son or my grandson walking about with Charlton shirts on feel free to say hello.  :)