Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Naomi Osaka & mental health

Comments

• Options
    All this time and money wasted on mental health services and it turns out all you need to do is start a social media account and you're cured.🤦‍♂️

Well said @lordromford btw, excellent post

• Options
    I hope that the young lady gets the help and support she so clearly needs and can deal with her issues away from the glare of the spotlight. Anxiety issues can come in many forms and can overwhelm some people and shouldn’t be taken lightly

I don’t get the need for interviews with players immediately after games whether that is tennis, football or cricket etc. Most are banal and the interviewers ask such stupid questions anyway I don’t see the point. A player scores the winner in the FA Cup final and is asked how do you feel after scoring the winning goal, err? Why bother.
    Because they’re raw and topical. You honestly telling me you didn’t enjoy Bauer and Bielik’s interview after the final?
    Personally, I can’t remember either of their interviews. I was too busy celebrating myself.
    Yeah I can assure you I was too. I enjoyed the interview when I watched it the following day!
  • Options
    I just always got as far as Bauer’s goal, then rewound and would watch that over and over. Don’t think I ever got as far as the interviews.
  • Options
    I hope that the young lady gets the help and support she so clearly needs and can deal with her issues away from the glare of the spotlight. Anxiety issues can come in many forms and can overwhelm some people and shouldn’t be taken lightly

I don’t get the need for interviews with players immediately after games whether that is tennis, football or cricket etc. Most are banal and the interviewers ask such stupid questions anyway I don’t see the point. A player scores the winner in the FA Cup final and is asked how do you feel after scoring the winning goal, err? Why bother.
    Because they’re raw and topical. You honestly telling me you didn’t enjoy Bauer and Bielik’s interview after the final?
    Agree with the quick “how do you feel” etc quick questions on the football pitch to the winner. 30 seconds by the side of the pitch being asked a couple of questions is very different from sitting in a room with dozens of reporters though. 
  • Options
    Valley11 said:
    She says she’s suffering. That’s all anyone needs to know.
    Quite why this fires up Piers Morgan to go on the attack, I’ll never know. 
    Probably because he’s a prick I reckon. 

This situation could (and should) have been handled better from both sides. 
  • Options
    Valley11 said:
    Because it is his job, his niche is a repugnant shock jock broadcaster. It gets readers/viewers/listeners as everyone wants to absorb his views and then act indignant. Ignore him and he goes away.
  • Options
    The thing about the interviews is that they are part of the promotion of the sport which in turn contributes to the big money prizes offered to the players. Clearly, if they are affecting mental health, the sport needs to look closely how some changes may improve that, but it isn't just tennis. If you are a film star you are expected to promote the film for instance. There are many other examples and I don't think it is being insensitive to mental illness acknowledging that. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Valley11 said:

I'm assuming a lot of players won't want to do interviews. Will press access change?
  • Options
    She had to speak to the press and do interviews. All the players have too. She was very naive to think otherwise. The sponsors pay an absolute fortune and the prize money on offer is incredible. Without sponsors and tv money the players would earn a fraction of what they get now. 
    Well, that's one person I know not to go to when I need advice and support.
  • Options
    She had to speak to the press and do interviews. All the players have too. She was very naive to think otherwise. The sponsors pay an absolute fortune and the prize money on offer is incredible. Without sponsors and tv money the players would earn a fraction of what they get now. 
    Well, that's one person I know not to go to when I need advice and support.
    What should happen going forward? Should players be required to do interviews? Do they need medical proof to be exempt?
  • Options
    Valley11 said:

I'm assuming a lot of players won't want to do interviews. Will press access change?
    I agree with you mate......It seems clear that the press conference is currently part of players contractual obligation.

It's not just a press consideration though. We all see how players have to put on their endorsed watch and get their preferred drink in front of them at the press conferences. The press conference is also an important exposure point for sponsors too - and therefore a driver of how much money sponsors will pump into the tournament to support player fees.
  • Options
    Maybe the answer is to have an extra payment for press interviews, rather than the assumption being that you will do them. 

She wants to be a tennis player, not a celebrity. 

I'd also say that on social media (and on here) when you post things you retain an element of control that you lose when you are in person, which is the real source of anxiety I would guess. 
  • Options
    All this leaves me thinking.

Tennis is not a sport - it is a circus / reality TV show.  The best athletes are not allowed compete unless they have a media personality and a nice smile.

Wimbledon should not be shown by the BBC using license payers money and marketed as a sport. Maybe better on Channel 4 before Love Island?
  • Options
    I have to say I have felt suspicious of a number of celebs who have played the mental health angle and it doesn't always ring true to me. 
    It does seem to be becoming the 'get out of jail card' now but some of the cases will be genuine, so as with so many things, those using it as an excuse undermine the genuine ones. Whilst many may have experienced genuine trauma, is the PTSD some celebrities say they are suffering from really comparable to that of service personnel, emergency services etc? Maybe there are different degrees of PTSD, but I do question the severity and in some cases wonder if they are undermining the severe cases?

Several MPs have cited MH issues to avoid trials and wasn't the Martin Bashir situation delayed because if it?
  • Options
    Huskaris said:
    Maybe the answer is to have an extra payment for press interviews, rather than the assumption being that you will do them. 

I'd also say that on social media (and on here) when you post things you retain an element of control that you lose when you are in person, which is the real source of anxiety I would guess. 
    I have no doubt that she has been suffering depression and mental health issues, and I have full sympathy for her and hope she gets the right treatment

However I'm still dubious that post match interviews are the reason for this, as opposed to the whole tennis lifestyle and pressure to keep winning. Loads of players struggle with the pressure to keep winning after their first big victory, and the frankly bizarre lifestyle of being a professional tennis player, living out of a suitcase.

My issues with celebs and publicity is that they want it both ways. They don't want to be asked challenging questions, when things aren't going so well BUT still want full access to the media when they have something to promote - their new film, book, perfume, fashion range etc

Osaka is the best paid female sportsperson  on the planet at the moment, due to her commercial income, which is because she's been made into a major celebrity. Nobody forces anyone to go down that route - maybe her family and management need to stop looking at the $ signs - and to me it looks hypocritical when you're happy to go on TV to promote your new perfume or fashion line or causes you believe in, but not to discuss why your forehand was struggling.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Huskaris said:

That could be a solution. As the interviews may be viewed as essential to the promotion of the sport, a significant percentage reduction in prize money (up to 50%) could be a price for not doing them. That may seem a lot, but it is still a lot of prize money for a top player and a better solution than having to withdraw. The money could go towards mental health charities.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    thenewbie said:
    I have to say I have felt suspicious of a number of celebs who have played the mental health angle and it doesn't always ring true to me. 
    It does seem to be becoming the 'get out of jail card' now but some of the cases will be genuine, so as with so many things, those using it as an excuse undermine the genuine ones. Whilst many may have experienced genuine trauma, is the PTSD some celebrities say they are suffering from really comparable to that of service personnel, emergency services etc? Maybe there are different degrees of PTSD, but I do question the severity and in some cases wonder if they are undermining the severe cases?

Several MPs have cited MH issues to avoid trials and wasn't the Martin Bashir situation delayed because if it?
    Scepticism is understandable but I have to say that the idea of "qualifying" PTSD or any other mental health issue is one I utterly loathe. Trying to tell someone that their suffering isn't as bad as someone else's is a horrendously slippery slope to start on.
    Agreed, but I still think the diagnosis is being abused/exaggerated, undermining the truly genuine cases which means some genuine cases may be doubted
  • Options
    The thing about the interviews is that they are part of the promotion of the sport which in turn contributes to the big money prizes offered to the players. Clearly, if they are affecting mental health, the sport needs to look closely how some changes may improve that, but it isn't just tennis. If you are a film star you are expected to promote the film for instance. There are many other examples and I don't think it is being insensitive to mental illness acknowledging that. 
    Film stars aren’t taken to a room full of reporters minutes after finishing a shift filming on set though. 
  • Options
    thenewbie said:

Scepticism is understandable but I have to say that the idea of "qualifying" PTSD or any other mental health issue is one I utterly loathe. Trying to tell someone that their suffering isn't as bad as someone else's is a horrendously slippery slope to start on.
    Agreed, but I still think the diagnosis is being abused/exaggerated, undermining the truly genuine cases which means some genuine cases may be doubted
    But in the case of mental health it's always better to treat all cases as genuine and accept some are not rather than risk minimizing or missing a genuine case mistakenly thought to be false.
  • Options
    Valley11 said:
    women of colour who talk about mental health seem to have this effect on people like piers. I wonder why...
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    thenewbie said:

But in the case of mental health it's always better to treat all cases as genuine and accept some are not rather than risk minimizing or missing a genuine case mistakenly thought to be false.
    Yes, but how appalling to misuse it when genuine people ate suffering. 

There is no treatment of anything if someone knows they don't have the condition just say to others they have to avoid things, get attention or whatever. The concerning thing is people are using it so they won't be challenged. And we might not know how much there has been a genuine increase in MH problems. Whilst many people appreciate it is better to respect a person as being genuine, not everyone will do there will have a negative affect on those genuine suffering
  • Options
    another example of the meedja dictating events, or trying to .. Osaka is entitled to her opinions, right or wrong about black lives matter, she does not need to be interrogated after energy and thought sapping tennis matches. If she is banned from top competitions that will be a disgrace
  • Options
    Valley11 said:
    women of colour who talk about mental health seem to have this effect on people like piers. I wonder why...
    Not a fan of Piers in general, but I do agree with some things he says. 2 does not represent a series and he has criticised other people than the 2 in question.
  • Options
    Film stars aren’t taken to a room full of reporters minutes after finishing a shift filming on set though. 
    True, but that happens in all sports and is part of the promotion. Some people were saying it was probably best if Bowyer didn't speak immediately after a match, but I suspect it was a requirement for him to do so.
  • Options
    True, but that happens in all sports and is part of the promotion. Some people were saying it was probably best if Bowyer didn't speak immediately after a match, but I suspect it was a requirement for him to do so.
    I imagine you’re right that he has to talk to press post-game, but as a team sport he could get JJ to do it if he happened to be struggling with social anxiety. With tennis, there’s no one to do that interview apart from the player.