Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Naomi Osaka & mental health

1234568»

Comments

• Options
    She should be banned. Not doing her job plus she’s happy to take the money in endorsements / Adverts etc ...
    That is the bit that annoys me. It can't be new to her yet she signed up for the dish. Then says sorry folks, I am a shy Mary Helen. 
    Thankfully not everyone is as horrible and nasty as you are . Let’s hope none of your family suffer from depression or anxiety because with your attitude, you will put them over edge . Idiot 
     It is not about horribleness or nastiness.  Stop being sentimental.  She earned 37.5million squids last year largely on advertising promotions yet she is shy after a match and when needing to perform contractual duties she volunteered for. 

What you suggest is not the same. Clive Mendonca was a really shy guy. He still went onto a show to after the 1998 play off.  Largely  because he was the man expected to. 
    He was my kid's choice to meet for winning the price but he liked even less meeting strangers in such events so Carl Leaburn , 2nd choice stepped in.

It wasn't  a problem.  What I said was , "Why sign up for interviews when you know you have issues?"  I have no sympathy for that . Please read what I said and don't put wrong  interpretation on it .

F anything you are the idiot for failing to comprehend plain English. And kindly please don't associate my remarks with others. 

Also remember forums are for all views not just yours if put reasonable and are not racist etc.,
    You are a dinosaur pal. If you think being shy is the same as having depression or severe anxiety then you are more stupid than I originally thought . 
    That’s the last I’m saying on the matter .
     I now realise I am dealing with a person who clearly has no time for anyone's views but his own.

A forum is " A place or medium where views can  exchanged and discussed " .

Sadly you are at the level where your second repost is an insult.  

My issue is with sports people  and contracts. Dear Jesus, do you really lack such basic understanding. 

Plus she took the money , banked it and then cried off. 

I don't buy that any more than I accepted another contract reneging money keeping sports person called Taylor was right either. 
    This tennis player has enough  money to get the best mental health care. Personally I think she needs to man up. She had just played a game of tennis in the spot light.  

One of  daughters had to abort a child for medical reasons. She needed help and believe me answering a fee questions from the press is very minor compared with that. Luckily her firm helped with her counselling in her employment package. So did we. 

She now acts as a councillor in house for her firm.

Before you gob of consider what you say. 

And I am not your mate so don't address me as thus.

You’re asking people to consider your views on this when you’re asking someone with mental health issues to ‘man up’ ???

Do you not think you also need to consider what you say before you ‘gob off’??
     Yes I am because I know people in a farce worse position than a very rich woman who decided to sign up to something she isn't now prepared to do but was happy with the money for all sorts of promotions including promoting herself. She has resources to immediately access help. 

Others don't or will have to wait. 

So yes, in a nutshell I am.  

My added my own experience  because  Beddsaddick asked me to consider what my view would be if it was my family. Hardly gobbing off.

All I said was "Why sign up for sponsors money and then use this to cry off having earned  millions doing nor a lot but promote some crap products and talk to a few journalists and possibly hit a ba now and then.
    So what you are actually saying is that you only think poor people with mental health issues deserve to be treated with any sort of dignity by others?

Because if you’re rich you can buy your way out of it and therefore aren’t entitled to any kind of sympathy from anyone else?

And I thought I didn’t understand mental health and it’s many nuances 😳
     Dear God....give me strength.  Why is it that people are so preoccupied  with their own interpretation on something they just make it up.

Look ..... she signed up for a deal knowing she had issues , yet managed to earn £37.5 million by being in the public spotlight. 

I have no sympathy for people  who renege on contracts .

My own family member who had need of counselling had to abort a pregnancy due to two genetic defects which are extremely rare and together became only the 2nd case in Europe.  However  it cause extreme emotional anxiety even though the choice was inevitable.

I am sick of celebrities going on about themselves as if only they count. 

This tennis player can get her own treatment and will. 

Others can't afford this and have no idea what to do . 

I am not sure why poor people  have entered into a forum about a tennis player. 

She signed up to play tennis. She is the number two player in the world and will be guaranteed invites to the world's best tournaments because of it.

Do you seriously think she sits there and combs through "contracts" for every tournament she plays in every week?

As soon as she realized not doing press conferences are not an option, she pulled out of the tournament. To the detriment of no-one but herself.

Not sure why you're so worked up, unless it's a troll. That wouldn't be a surprise seven pages later. In which case I say bravo.
     I am sure her agent made her aware before that. I am not a troll but it pushes me off that sports people have problems with contracts but not taking the money.
    Jesus H Christ, her problem is not with the contract it’s with her mental health. In her state of mind right now I doubt she gives a feck about the contract.
    He doesn't get it and never will . I wouldn't waste your breath trying to explain it to him. 
  • Options
    Don’t know if this was mentioned in the thread, but this is excellent 

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/jun/01/sport-athletes-mental-health-tennis-naomi-osaka
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    https://youtu.be/kxVIzXd9_Tw

Interesting documentary(15 mins) on Graham Obree the cyclist who held the world hour distance record and competed at the highest level. He had severe mental health problems including three suicide attempts and struggled to find contentment.

• Options
    Has now also withdrawn from Wimbledon.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Hopefully the time away can help her get her headspace better. 

I really hope she is able to benefit from it, but I found when I took time away back in December that my headspace was worse the closer returning to work came. I added anxiety to my condition.
  • Options
    Surely playing in Japan would add more pressure, sure they would want her to do interviews.
  • Options
    iaitch said:
    Surely playing in Japan would add more pressure, sure they would want her to do interviews.
    The Olympics might not enforce a press conference on competitors. I just remember interviews with people alongside a track, or whatever, with broadcasters but there must be something for the print press. She might feel more comfortable amongst her own countrymen and women, where she is loved and admired.
  • Options
    I hope she comes back refreshed for the Olympics and the situation re press conferences has been resolved. 
  • Options
  • Options
    https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/news/joanna-lumley-mental-health-b2002694.html

Joanna Lumley has told everybody who she perceives to be jumping on the “mental illness bandwagon” to “just get a grip”.

Speaking on right-wing commentator Isabel Oakeshott’s podcast, the actor and presenter said: “When someone dies and you grieve, that’s human. That’s what being human is, you’re not mentally ill.

“And I think it is also awful to people who really are mentally ill, who are properly clinically depressed, for everybody to say they’ve got to have some sort of special treatment.”

She added: “Everyone’s claiming the mental illness bandwagon and I think that’s wrong.”

I have been saying this and posted the same on here 

How did Alan Carr's estranged husband appeal his sentence and get out after a whole 2 nights? - ''The two nights in custody have been extremely difficult for someone who has poor mental health,' Bless!
  • Options
    https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/news/joanna-lumley-mental-health-b2002694.html

Joanna Lumley has told everybody who she perceives to be jumping on the “mental illness bandwagon” to “just get a grip”.

Speaking on right-wing commentator Isabel Oakeshott’s podcast, the actor and presenter said: “When someone dies and you grieve, that’s human. That’s what being human is, you’re not mentally ill.

“And I think it is also awful to people who really are mentally ill, who are properly clinically depressed, for everybody to say they’ve got to have some sort of special treatment.”

She added: “Everyone’s claiming the mental illness bandwagon and I think that’s wrong.”

How did Alan Carr's estranged husband appeal his sentence and get out after a whole 2 nights? - ''The two nights in custody have been extremely difficult for someone who has poor mental health,' Bless!
    Numerous celebs have jumped on the bandwagon in order to get attention - it does trivialise mental illness. 
  • Options
    PTSD seems very normal in the last 12 months or so.
    It used to generally be war veterans up until more recently.
    A chap on the local news tonight was suffering with PTSD after watching his wife give birth (it was a traumatic birth).
  • Options

Numerous celebs have jumped on the bandwagon in order to get attention - it does trivialise mental illness. 
    I agree totally
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    A chap on the local news tonight was suffering with PTSD after watching his wife give birth (it was a traumatic birth).
    Maybe there are different degrees of it, but surely birth-related PTSD cannot compare to war scenarios?
  • Options
    Maybe there are different degrees of it, but surely birth-related PTSD cannot compare to war scenarios?
    Well I wouldn't have said so, but I wouldn't want to get a load of grief on here for saying so.
  • Options
    You know what really trivialises mental health issues? People on the internet, with no mental health training, and never having met the people involved, declaring people quite possibly having mental health issues as just jumping on the bandwagon.

Are we desensizied to the suffering of our fellow man to such an extent that when somebody cries out for help the first thought we have is that they're faking it for the attention?
    Or maybe they do have mental health training who have experienced people who have claimed mental health problems and are dismayed how it undermines the genuine cases. Who said it was the first thought that they are faking it?
  • Options
    You know what really trivialises mental health issues? People on the internet, with no mental health training, and never having met the people involved, declaring people quite possibly having mental health issues as just jumping on the bandwagon.

Are we desensizied to the suffering of our fellow man to such an extent that when somebody cries out for help the first thought we have is that they're faking it for the attention?
    Some people do use it for attention and invariably we make judgements based on our own personal experience and knowledge. A lot of the discussion about mental health in the media is pretty trivial and serious mental illness and the reasons behind it rarely get a look in - I do think some of this is used by certain 'celebrities' for self promotion.

Everybody makes judgements and some are more informed than others.
  • Options

Some people do use it for attention and invariably we make judgements based on our own personal experience and knowledge. A lot of the discussion about mental health in the media is pretty trivial and serious mental illness and the reasons behind it rarely get a look in - I do think some of this is used by certain 'celebrities' for self promotion.

Everybody makes judgements and some are more informed than others.
    Some people for self-promotion and excuses