Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Buster

Comments

• Options
    You haven’t answered the response to your post, just keep going on about the train driver!
    If that's your game....at 8:am I asked was Buster not involved in the great train robbery?

Honestly, I really don't care if the police were bent in the 60's.  What impact on the robbery did 'bent' police play?  Worst case is that they over exaggerated an assault on a train driver to influence the public into not falling into the trap of believing that the robbers were hero's, a trap that it looks like you have fallen into by being star struck over gangsters in a lewisham snooker club. Although this was such a high profile case, how many people would have been on the conspiracy.  I really seriously doubt this happened.

I will go on about the train driver.  He was the victim, not Buster. He wasnt the only victim of busters crimes though, was he?

Reading other posts on this subject, I am not the only one that has no sympathy for buster.  He was a career criminal, he wasn't a one off chancer who got caught.  I dont care that he got upset that a film made out that he came back because his wife was homesick.  A probable factor in him coming back was that he ran out of money.  Not running out of his own money, running out of money that belonged to someone else that he illegally took!

So he might not have thrown a bin through a window at the age of 15, what did he do aged 15-30 that wasnt in the film?  Again, no symphathy.

Didn't buster appear in the film?  I've never appeared in a film so im not sure of the protocol but if he appeared would he have access to scrips, or seen it before the premier?  Him walking out suggests to me that it suited his agenda of being wronged in the public eye
    Bang on.  A career criminal who was never apologetic about it and who himself or known contacts absolutely would have hurt others yet people are worried that his feelings may have been hurt by a film which actually glorifies criminals.

• Options
    THERE ALRIGHT THEY LOOK AFTER THERE MUMS AND NEVER DONE NOBODY NO HARM THAT WASNT ASKING FOR IT
  • Options
    You haven’t answered the response to your post, just keep going on about the train driver!
    If that's your game....at 8:am I asked was Buster not involved in the great train robbery?

Honestly, I really don't care if the police were bent in the 60's.  What impact on the robbery did 'bent' police play?  Worst case is that they over exaggerated an assault on a train driver to influence the public into not falling into the trap of believing that the robbers were hero's, a trap that it looks like you have fallen into by being star struck over gangsters in a lewisham snooker club. Although this was such a high profile case, how many people would have been on the conspiracy.  I really seriously doubt this happened.

I will go on about the train driver.  He was the victim, not Buster. He wasnt the only victim of busters crimes though, was he?

Reading other posts on this subject, I am not the only one that has no sympathy for buster.  He was a career criminal, he wasn't a one off chancer who got caught.  I dont care that he got upset that a film made out that he came back because his wife was homesick.  A probable factor in him coming back was that he ran out of money.  Not running out of his own money, running out of money that belonged to someone else that he illegally took!

So he might not have thrown a bin through a window at the age of 15, what did he do aged 15-30 that wasnt in the film?  Again, no symphathy.

Didn't buster appear in the film?  I've never appeared in a film so im not sure of the protocol but if he appeared would he have access to scrips, or seen it before the premier?  Him walking out suggests to me that it suited his agenda of being wronged in the public eye
    Wow..wrong on so many fronts. Think you will find that the police have been proven to be corrupt even after the 60s.
    What is your take on Hatton Garden ? 
  • Options
    bit of a sociological guess .. the train robbers were mostly born around 1932/3/4 .. during WW2 they were possibly evacuated or had dad's serving in the forces and were left to their own devices a lot, AND as kids from tough parts of cities do, they got into trouble and never got out of it. Wiki profiles show that 'organised crime' was not just a mafia thing, cockney villains had fingers in many pies and contacts everywhere. The unrealistic film 'Buster' does trivialise crime and possibly violence, but so do Robin Hood, The Italian Job, The Lavender Hill Mob and countless Hollywood flicks. Many people like to watch a bit of cops and robbers, it brightens up dull and boring lives
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    DA9 said:
    Richard J said:
    DA9 said:
    Richard J said:
    Did you know that Charlton is only mentioned in the film because the screen writer Colin Schindler is a Manchester City supporter? He was the author of 'Manchester United ruined my life' . 

By mentioning the win we had at Maine Road when Firmani scored was his way of ensuring the sky blues got a name check. 
    Isn’t there a scene when buster specifically talks about going to a Charlton game, but not relating to Man City?
    In' Manchester United ruined my life' Shindler talks about how he weaved City into the narrative.

He talks about how the film script contained 'the occasional Cityism' and that he remembered the game 'vividly' and that 'Firmani had given Roy Cheetham such a torrid time I thought it worthy of immortalising on film'.
    My point is, I don’t think that’s the only reason Charlton get a mention, buster mentions us separately in another scene 
    I am not even sure that Buster Edwards was a Charlton supporter. Certainly Ronnie Biggs wasn't. He preferred Arsenal.

As demonstrated above there were historical inaccuracies . I guess the earlier scene was put in to tee up the Firmani sequence later in the film. 
  • Options
    Richard J said:
    DA9 said:
    Richard J said:
    DA9 said:
    Richard J said:
    Did you know that Charlton is only mentioned in the film because the screen writer Colin Schindler is a Manchester City supporter? He was the author of 'Manchester United ruined my life' . 

By mentioning the win we had at Maine Road when Firmani scored was his way of ensuring the sky blues got a name check. 
    Isn’t there a scene when buster specifically talks about going to a Charlton game, but not relating to Man City?
    In' Manchester United ruined my life' Shindler talks about how he weaved City into the narrative.

He talks about how the film script contained 'the occasional Cityism' and that he remembered the game 'vividly' and that 'Firmani had given Roy Cheetham such a torrid time I thought it worthy of immortalising on film'.
    My point is, I don’t think that’s the only reason Charlton get a mention, buster mentions us separately in another scene 
    I am not even sure that Buster Edwards was a Charlton supporter. Certainly Ronnie Biggs wasn't. He preferred Arsenal.

As demonstrated above there were historical inaccuracies . I guess the earlier scene was put in to tee up the Firmani sequence later in the film. 
    Ronnie Biggs was buried with a Charlton scarf.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    MrLargo said:
    Richard J said:
    DA9 said:
    Richard J said:
    DA9 said:
    Richard J said:

We had this debate before.

My understanding is that it was an Arsenal scarf. 

Great Train Robber Ronnie Biggs' fittingly sad send-off | Daily Mail Online
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 2021
    A film that glorifies criminals.  No thanks.
    Jack Mills the train driver never recovered from being coshed in the head
    Can only say that there were strong suggestions at the time that he wasn’t actually injured anything like as badly as portrayed to the media and the courts.
    Not saying he was or wasn’t, only that it’s thought by many to be something of a stitch up.....excuse the pun!
    It certainly wouldn’t have been beyond the Flying Squads ability to ‘arrange’ such a scenario.
    I remember distinctly a few quite high level villains, who mixed in and around Lewisham Snooker Hall and the Lewisham market area, airing this view.
    Add to this it must be remembered that the person who allegedly attacked Mills was never identified and was in fact one of the three robbers that were never ‘officially’ apprehended (Mmmmm how convenient),.......there have always been some doubts about the severity of the attack and to this day it’s something of a grey area.
    It’s not really a surprise that known gangsters would come up with a fabrication to protect their own and to have a dig at the police.

would I believe a known gangster or a police officer!! 

Ultimately, the actions of one of the great train robbers resulted in an innocent persons life being cut short and that shouldn’t be brushed under the carpet.
    If not corroborated by an uninterested third party, I wouldn’t believe either. 
  • Options
    Richard J said:
    MrLargo said:
    Richard J said:
    DA9 said:
    Richard J said:
    DA9 said:
    Richard J said:

Depends what paper you read:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/ronnie-biggs-funeral-floral-wreath-2984507

Also interviewed by a journalist in the late seventies who reported that the first thing Biggs asked him was "how are Charlton Athletic doing?"
  • Options
    MrLargo said:
    Richard J said:
    MrLargo said:
    Richard J said:
    DA9 said:
    Richard J said:
    DA9 said:
    Richard J said:

Depends what paper you read:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/ronnie-biggs-funeral-floral-wreath-2984507

Also interviewed by a journalist in the late seventies who reported that the first thing Biggs asked him was "how are Charlton Athletic doing?"
    No mention of wanting to see Charlton here 

Great Train Robber Ronnie Biggs tells friends he is well enough to watch an Arsenal match | Daily Mail Online

Photographic evidence .

Ronnie-Biggs-Arsenal.jpg (600×400) (scenestr.com.au)

• Options

Wow..wrong on so many fronts. Think you will find that the police have been proven to be corrupt even after the 60s.
    I said 60’s in response to you. You say I’m wrong, prove it.

hatton garden - scum who deserve to rot in jail. 
  • Options
    Have you ever met a Charlton supporter who called the club “Charlton Athletic” in conversation? About as likely as someone asking about “Tottenham Hotspur”.
    To go completely off topic but i went to a wedding in Latvia due to my Cousin marrying a Latvian girl. when the photos were being taken we were made to say Arsenal (instead of the usual cheese) as my cousin supports them. I wasn't prepared to say it so i said "Charlon" in my sarf london accent. She asked me what i was saying, i repeated it but got no where, ended up having one of the best men interpret to her that i was saying Charlton, as in Charlton Athletic. 

she still didn't know what he or I were talking about. 

anyway, as you were... 
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    In Stan Matthews autobiography in the tail end he talks about meeting Biggs in Rio, and having a drink with him and Biggs asking Stan how was Charlton doing and  talking about watching Stan play at the Valley
  • Options
    Have you ever met a Charlton supporter who called the club “Charlton Athletic” in conversation? About as likely as someone asking about “Tottenham Hotspur”.
    Iirc this urban myth started as a story in Sir Stanley Matthews biography . Biggs told him that he had seen him play at the Valley .

My interpretation was like Henry Cooper he probably attended games at Charlton although he was an Arsenal supporter .
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 2021
    Loved a train by all accounts. Proper Charlton case closed.
    Doah!

Well done Rodders for pointing out the obvious to the thick bunch of mugs on CL!

Clue's in the crime lads... clue's in the crime.
  • Options
    A film that glorifies criminals.  No thanks.
    Jack Mills the train driver never recovered from being coshed in the head
    Can only say that there were strong suggestions at the time that he wasn’t actually injured anything like as badly as portrayed to the media and the courts.
    Not saying he was or wasn’t, only that it’s thought by many to be something of a stitch up.....excuse the pun!
    It certainly wouldn’t have been beyond the Flying Squads ability to ‘arrange’ such a scenario.
    I remember distinctly a few quite high level villains, who mixed in and around Lewisham Snooker Hall and the Lewisham market area, airing this view.
    Add to this it must be remembered that the person who allegedly attacked Mills was never identified and was in fact one of the three robbers that were never ‘officially’ apprehended (Mmmmm how convenient),.......there have always been some doubts about the severity of the attack and to this day it’s something of a grey area.
    It’s not really a surprise that known gangsters would come up with a fabrication to protect their own and to have a dig at the police.

would I believe a known gangster or a police officer!! 

Ultimately, the actions of one of the great train robbers resulted in an innocent persons life being cut short and that shouldn’t be brushed under the carpet.
    The old bill were more corrupt than anything back in the days.History has shown that, as well as the saying of a “bent copper” is not down to his sexual preference. Surely you are not that wet behind the ears.
    Even now they can make things go in there favour....then again it can also go on yours as they haven’t followed the guidelines that are now set in place.

You honestly believe that the train driver wasn’t hit over the head and seriously injured? Bet yet call someone else wet behind the ears!

the poor guy was trying to earn an honest living, did he deserve what happened to him? Was it fair that he got a reported £250 compensation when Ronnie Biggs wife sold her story to the press for £60,000.

he didn’t live a very nice after he was assaulted when doing his job but fuck him, as long as we make sure that buster (who I am assuming was remunerated very well  for the film) is okay after the film made a piece of shit to look like a piece of shit!    Not really answered the post though !!
    I in no way suggested he wasn’t assaulted, only that the extent of his injuries were not as serious as portrayed.
    And if you don’t believe that 1960’s Flying Squad officers were more than capable of fitting people up I honestly despair at your naivety.
    I cannot categorically say that it happened in this instance but that was the story out on the streets and a view that was held by a lot of people at the time and to this day.
  • Options

I don’t understand the question re Hatton Garden 

what has that got to do with anything?
  • Options
    Used to see 'Buster Edwards' every day when I used to get the train from New Eltham to work. He was running his flower stall outside Waterloo station.
    I often said hello as I walked past.
    Love the film as well!
    My second cousin worked with him on that stall for years
  • Options
    Richard J said:
    DA9 said:
    Richard J said:
    DA9 said:
    Richard J said:

Only needs to be 51% accurate to be a biopic. Could have ended with Buster busting his nut on the Royal jugs. As long as it contained the train robbing bit.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

The point being they did no harm to anyone did they ??? But the response I got that they are scum and to rot in jail pretty much confirms what the mind set of the individual is. Certainly wouldn’t say they were scum and deserved to rot in jail,would you ?
  • Options
    Got to know Buster personally after spending a few weeks with him. He hated the film as it was a bad reflection on him and not all the facts and dates in the film were true. He walked out after the opening scene in the premier, as well as there was more too why he came back. 
    That's actually really funny you say that because I have seen interviews with Tom Hanks - who has played quite a few real people on film - where he says that before filming he will arrange a private meeting with the person and say the following:

"Look, I am playing you for better of for worse, now, when you see the film I am going to play you saying things you never said, doing things you never did, meeting people you never met and going places you have never been - I hope you're going to be OK with all that!"

Quite understandably 'real' people don't understand that to make a commercial movie you can't just replicate what happened in real-life, it has to be turned into a commercially viable story that appeals to as broad an audience as possible and that means twisting the facts.

A mate of mine sold the rights to his non-fiction book (a real-life story about an Aussie electrician who became a billionaire mining investor) to a screenwriter and was horrified at what the bloke came back with - it bore very little resemblance to the real story and he was really pissed off.

However, the screenwriter said to him, "Do yourself a favour, get a friend to read the screenplay and see what they think, you are too close to it."

Sure enough he passed it to a couple of friends who thought that the screenplay was a fantastic story and the movie is likely to be shot next year so I can understand why Edwards and others may have been aggrieved by what made it to screen.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

The point being they did no harm to anyone did they ??? But the response I got that they are scum and to rot in jail pretty much confirms what the mind set of the individual is. Certainly wouldn’t say they were scum and deserved to rot in jail,would you ?
    No. It shows your mind set. Have you ever been burgled or mugged. What is your view on them?

what would your view be on a person who broke into your mums house and stole your late Nans wedding ring? Your mum wasn’t in, no harm done!

you don’t think the Hatton garden thief’s deserve to be in jail?  Ask the people whose property they stole, whose lively hoods they affected if any harm was caused
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

But the great train robbers did. So I’m guessing you agree that they are scum and deserved prison sentences