Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Buster

13»

Comments

• Options
    edited June 2021
    Remember seeing a TV programme when most of the Gang had been released and were asked about Ronnie Biggs in Brazil.

"Oh you mean the Tea boy"  came the reply; I believe it was Buster Edwards, and everyone nodded in agreement and Biggs didn't appear to have any mate's in the studio. Envy and jealousy shone through and one of the gang said Biggs job was to supply a retired Train driver to drive  the mail train into the sidings where it was to be unloaded. The old Train driver bottled it. 
    As most criminals are serial liers it always hard to find out the truth. 

Most of the gang were just boring stereotypes that would manifest from post war England.
    I prefer to put criminals below a pedestal not on one.

Bruce Reynolds was the interesting character who went on to Canada from Mexico before returning to the UK where he was caught in Torquay and served 10 years before parole.
  • Options

,,,Quite understandably 'real' people don't understand that to make a commercial movie you can't just replicate what happened in real-life, it has to be turned into a commercially viable story that appeals to as broad an audience as possible and that means twisting the facts...
    This is a very good point. It's why I find it annoying that there is a large number of people whose world view seems to be entirely based on films. Films aren't reality. 
  • Options
    Remember seeing a TV programme when most of the Gang had been released and were asked about Ronnie Biggs in Brazil.

"Oh you mean the Tea boy"  came the reply; I believe it was Buster Edwards, and everyone nodded in agreement and Biggs didn't appear to have any mate's in the studio. Envy and jealousy shone through and one of the gang said Biggs job was to supply a retired Train driver to drive  the mail train into the sidings where it was to be unloaded. The old Train driver bottled it. 
    As most criminals are serial liers it always hard to find out the truth. 

Most of the gang were just boring stereotypes that would manifest from post war England.
    I prefer to put criminals below a pedestal not on one.

Bruce Reynolds was the interesting character who went on to Canada from Mexico before returning to the UK where he was caught in Torquay and served 10 years before parole.
    Then got himself a pub in Forest Hill.🍻
  • Options
    Stig said:

,,,Quite understandably 'real' people don't understand that to make a commercial movie you can't just replicate what happened in real-life, it has to be turned into a commercially viable story that appeals to as broad an audience as possible and that means twisting the facts...
    This is a very good point. It's why I find it annoying that there is a large number of people whose world view seems to be entirely based on films. Films aren't reality
    What, even the ones about pool cleaners?
  • Options
    MrLargo said:
    Richard J said:
    DA9 said:
    Richard J said:
    DA9 said:
    Richard J said:
    Did you know that Charlton is only mentioned in the film because the screen writer Colin Schindler is a Manchester City supporter? He was the author of 'Manchester United ruined my life' . 

By mentioning the win we had at Maine Road when Firmani scored was his way of ensuring the sky blues got a name check. 
    Isn’t there a scene when buster specifically talks about going to a Charlton game, but not relating to Man City?
    In' Manchester United ruined my life' Shindler talks about how he weaved City into the narrative.

He talks about how the film script contained 'the occasional Cityism' and that he remembered the game 'vividly' and that 'Firmani had given Roy Cheetham such a torrid time I thought it worthy of immortalising on film'.
    My point is, I don’t think that’s the only reason Charlton get a mention, buster mentions us separately in another scene 
    I am not even sure that Buster Edwards was a Charlton supporter. Certainly Ronnie Biggs wasn't. He preferred Arsenal.

As demonstrated above there were historical inaccuracies . I guess the earlier scene was put in to tee up the Firmani sequence later in the film. 
    Ronnie Biggs was buried with a Charlton scarf.
    I knew you would pop up on this thread, you are the expert concerning daylight robbery on trains.  ;)
  • Options
    SouthEastern are the experts at that.
  • Options
    MrLargo said:
    MrLargo said:
    Richard J said:
    DA9 said:
    Richard J said:
    DA9 said:
    Richard J said:
    Did you know that Charlton is only mentioned in the film because the screen writer Colin Schindler is a Manchester City supporter? He was the author of 'Manchester United ruined my life' . 

By mentioning the win we had at Maine Road when Firmani scored was his way of ensuring the sky blues got a name check. 
    Isn’t there a scene when buster specifically talks about going to a Charlton game, but not relating to Man City?
    In' Manchester United ruined my life' Shindler talks about how he weaved City into the narrative.

He talks about how the film script contained 'the occasional Cityism' and that he remembered the game 'vividly' and that 'Firmani had given Roy Cheetham such a torrid time I thought it worthy of immortalising on film'.
    My point is, I don’t think that’s the only reason Charlton get a mention, buster mentions us separately in another scene 
    I am not even sure that Buster Edwards was a Charlton supporter. Certainly Ronnie Biggs wasn't. He preferred Arsenal.

As demonstrated above there were historical inaccuracies . I guess the earlier scene was put in to tee up the Firmani sequence later in the film. 
    Ronnie Biggs was buried with a Charlton scarf.
    I knew you would pop up on this thread, you are the expert concerning daylight robbery on trains.  ;)
    Obviously the most unrealistic thing about "Buster" is that, in the film, the mail train they robbed arrived on time. 

Presumably when the actual robbery too place, the robbers had to hang around in the dark for 4 hours due to chickens on the line at Doncaster.
    As the robbery took place in August, at least the heating was on full power.
  • Options
    Richard J said:
    DA9 said:
    Richard J said:

After posting this I decided to look Roy Cheetham up on Wiki .

Surprisingly he had a spell at Charlton and interestingly given Shindler's comments he was signed by Firmani in 1968.

However he never made a first team appearance .

Roy Cheetham - Wikipedia
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Used to see 'Buster Edwards' every day when I used to get the train from New Eltham to work. He was running his flower stall outside Waterloo station.
    I often said hello as I walked past.
    Love the film as well!
    Did you instinctively check your wallet as well?  ;)