Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Andy Marshall off to Birmingham / Glyn Shimell new Goalie Coach

13»

Comments

• Options
    He only agreed to that under sufferance and asked for a massive pay rise after as compensation - that was the beginning of the end and the millwall academy keeper coach was the only keeper coach in the country prepared to Q&A there going forwards 
  • Options
    Maccn05 said:
    Bit of a cold exit for Marshy not sure why clubs seem so reluctant to be a bit more thankful to employees when they leave.

Given the improvement in Dills and AMB he must have a been a good coach and I’ve heard good things about him. Shame he’s leaving.
    He resigned, what sort of thanks do you think we should give people who want to leave. 

A thanks and a goodbye is enough 
    🙄🙄🙄
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    He only agreed to that under sufferance and asked for a massive pay rise after as compensation - that was the beginning of the end and the millwall academy keeper coach was the only keeper coach in the country prepared to Q&A there going forwards 
    ???
  • Options
    So has the millwall academy coach come to coach our first team keepers ?
  • Options
    So has the millwall academy coach come to coach our first team keepers ?
    It’s what Henry wanted 
  • Options
    Thanks @ozaddick for the below:

Shimell is highly regarded in the game and is a UEFA A licensed goalkeeping coach.

The former AFC Wimbledon and Bromley goalkeeper will meet the Charlton players for the first time during pre-season training. 

He said: “Joining Charlton was an opportunity I just couldn’t turn down. I know Jason Euell and some of the club’s other coaches as you come across people when you are working in football and I’m also very aware of the talented goalkeepers currently at the club across the different age groups.

“I met with [Technical Director] Ged Roddy and then had a long meeting with [Manager] Nigel Adkins. It was good speaking with Nigel about what he wants from the role, especially as he is a former goalkeeper himself. I’m looking forward to getting started, meeting the players and the rest of the staff.”

Adkins said: “I’m pleased to welcome Glyn to Charlton Athletic. I am delighted to have him as part of the coaching setup, I'm really looking forward to working with him.”

Roddy said: “We’re very pleased to be able to bring Glyn to the club. He has an excellent reputation in the footballing world and a proven track record of improving and developing goalkeepers.

“As part of the process we consulted with Eric Steele, who is a legend in the goalkeeping fraternity. Eric has worked with a lot of goalkeepers and goalkeeping coaches over his incredible career and was full of praise for the work Glyn does.”

Shimell spent six years as First-Team Goalkeeping Coach at Bromley before becoming Millwall’s Lead Academy Goalkeeping Coach in 2018 and has also worked with the FA

• Options
    Good to see someone appointed so quickly. Seems a big inexperienced on the face of it but hopefully Adkins and Roddy know what they are doing 
  • Options
    Thanks @ozaddick for the below:

Shimell is highly regarded in the game and is a UEFA A licensed goalkeeping coach.

The former AFC Wimbledon and Bromley goalkeeper will meet the Charlton players for the first time during pre-season training. 

He said: “Joining Charlton was an opportunity I just couldn’t turn down. I know Jason Euell and some of the club’s other coaches as you come across people when you are working in football and I’m also very aware of the talented goalkeepers currently at the club across the different age groups.

“I met with [Technical Director] Ged Roddy and then had a long meeting with [Manager] Nigel Adkins. It was good speaking with Nigel about what he wants from the role, especially as he is a former goalkeeper himself. I’m looking forward to getting started, meeting the players and the rest of the staff.”

Adkins said: “I’m pleased to welcome Glyn to Charlton Athletic. I am delighted to have him as part of the coaching setup, I'm really looking forward to working with him.”

Roddy said: “We’re very pleased to be able to bring Glyn to the club. He has an excellent reputation in the footballing world and a proven track record of improving and developing goalkeepers.

“As part of the process we consulted with Eric Steele, who is a legend in the goalkeeping fraternity. Eric has worked with a lot of goalkeepers and goalkeeping coaches over his incredible career and was full of praise for the work Glyn does.”

Shimell spent six years as First-Team Goalkeeping Coach at Bromley before becoming Millwall’s Lead Academy Goalkeeping Coach in 2018 and has also worked with the FA

Apologies AFKA, I didn't see this news had already been posted. 
  • Options
    redman said:
    Good to see someone appointed so quickly. Seems a big inexperienced on the face of it but hopefully Adkins and Roddy know what they are doing 
    I suppose he doesn't need to be the most experienced if the manager was also a GK in his day. 

Anyway he's qualified at least, 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Guess Andy left Birmingham the same time as Bowyer
  • Options
    Must have got a property down here when he took the job with us
  • Options
    Former Millwall player of course. My wife used to work with his sister. Now not many people know that 😎
  • Options
    swordfish said:
    Former Millwall player of course. My wife used to work with his sister. Now not many people know that 😎
    Now, a lot of people do.🤓
  • Options
    Cawley later corrected himself, Turner stepped down, hasn’t retired.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Cawley later corrected himself, Turner stepped down, hasn’t retired.
    Sacked in other words?
  • Options
    Andy will be seen as a safe pair of hand at Millwall who understands the locals and will give the keeper ear plugs to wear after a blooper.
    He is good on tatics and will help to Marshall the defence in training. 
    His nickname when he was a player was Malcolm but nowadays with the players he is known as AM or Morning 🙄 
  • Options
    Isn't our current GK coach ex Millwall? He he had stayed he probably would have got the job there...

Indeed with Turner also being ex Charlton, a lot of GK coach connections