Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

House Clearance

Unfortunately my Mum has had to go into a Care Home as a permanent resident (I always expected it to come to this but originally she was there as "temporary respite)
I'm now faced with the monumental task of clearing her Council house, she's been living there 74 years & my Dad was born & lived all his life there. They were both collectors / hoarders  :(  There's books & trinkets/ ornaments all over the house plus I believe a whole lot of junk in the loft & a walk in cupboard that I'm sure hasn't seen the light of day in years. I always wanted to clear a lot of the stuff out but Mum never wanted me to.
Anyway I don't drive so can't get rid of much at a time & Social Services have started asking when I will be handing the tenancy back. I think my only option is a house clearance firm. Does anyone have any experience or tips & advice on using this type of company. Obviously want to avoid cowboys who might fly tip but also wondering will they take absolutely everything from junk to stuff that obviously they can sell. I have cleared all paper work/documents & jewellery (not that it would be worth much, more a sentimental thing) & will hopefully give clothing & possibly books to charity shops if they collect, after that I'm stressing out.

Thanks for any advice

Comments

• Where is the house?
  • Sorry to hear your news charltonbob we used a house clearance firm after my Dad passed away last year. I think we found them online but they had fantastic reviews and to be fair they were brilliant. Did everything we asked them to and sent us daily pictures / video updates.

I can't remember the firms name but I do still have a name and contact mobile number which I will PM you now.
  • British Heart Foundation will collect stuff, I've used them for furniture before.
  • Unfortunately my Mum has had to go into a Care Home as a permanent resident (I always expected it to come to this but originally she was there as "temporary respite)
    I'm now faced with the monumental task of clearing her Council house, she's been living there 74 years & my Dad was born & lived all his life there. They were both collectors / hoarders  :(  There's books & trinkets/ ornaments all over the house plus I believe a whole lot of junk in the loft & a walk in cupboard that I'm sure hasn't seen the light of day in years. I always wanted to clear a lot of the stuff out but Mum never wanted me to.
    Anyway I don't drive so can't get rid of much at a time & Social Services have started asking when I will be handing the tenancy back. I think my only option is a house clearance firm. Does anyone have any experience or tips & advice on using this type of company. Obviously want to avoid cowboys who might fly tip but also wondering will they take absolutely everything from junk to stuff that obviously they can sell. I have cleared all paper work/documents & jewellery (not that it would be worth much, more a sentimental thing) & will hopefully give clothing & possibly books to charity shops if they collect, after that I'm stressing out.

Thanks for any advice
    I had to arrange clearance of my Dad's house back in 2013 after he went into a care home in order we could put the property up for sale. He lived in Eltham. Can't remember who I used (found them on the internet) but they seemed reputable and took everything from the house and garden shed and garage. They said they had the required licence (or whatever is needed) to be able to take everything to a waste and recycling site. Who knows! Anyway, it was very easy, so as long as you taken away all the paperwork/documents/photos you want to retain plus any valuables, it takes a big stress away from you.
  • one thing I discovered, it was a lot more expensive that I was anticipating - but worth every penny to relieve the stress.
  • Maybe worthwhile using a house clearing company that will auction off what's in the house.

Relative used one a couple of years ago after the death of their mum and got over £20k for what they thought was just junk.

• Addickted said:
    Maybe worthwhile using a house clearing company that will auction off what's in the house.

Relative used one a couple of years ago after the death of their mum and got over £20k for what they thought was just junk.

@blackpool72 did mine, he raised £20
  • @charltonbob

Caroline @ acswaste.co.uk

is a friend and licenced but as @elthamaddict says be prepared for a bit of a shock at how much a clearance costs.
  • Tough job mate.

I had to clear my Mum's 3-bed house near Gravesend and was quoted up to 2.5K .

Local firm I knew had a look and did it for nothing.  We kept a few items for keepsakes they took the rest including all kitchen/garage/loft rubbish and make their money from the few decent bits.

They were great but not sure they do London.
  • Sponsored links:

• I can't remember but don't think it cost more than £400 to get my Dad's 2 bedroomed house cleared.
  • Where is the house?
    Welling
  • Tough old job your facing there, done my mother in laws a year and a half ago, numerous trips in the car from Hastings to Lewisham, BHF took some of the stuff plus another charity who's name I can't remember, Lewisham Council were really good in that they didn't mind us leaving quite a bit of furniture.....good luck anyway. Mother in law is now in a care home down here in Hastings so much better then having her stuck up in Lewisham....she is happy enough and the wife is alot less stressed.

• Addickted said:
    Maybe worthwhile using a house clearing company that will auction off what's in the house.

I didn't realise there were companies that did that, I assumed they took everything & made whatever money they could out of it (plus their normal fee of course)
  • There used to be a fella in Crayford at the bottom of Station Rd on the roundabout in the row of terrace houses there.
    He took most of the big stuff from our Dads place.
    No idea if they’re still there though, sorry xx
  • @charltonbob

is a friend and licenced but as @elthamaddict says be prepared for a bit of a shock at how much a clearance costs.
    Thanks BB, what sort of figure would you think for a three bed room house, appreciate depends on how much stuff there is in it but a rough guide if possible.
    Thanks
  • Tough job mate.

I had to clear my Mum's 3-bed house near Gravesend and was quoted up to 2.5K .

Local firm I knew had a look and did it for nothing.  We kept a few items for keepsakes they took the rest including all kitchen/garage/loft rubbish and make their money from the few decent bits.

They were great but not sure they do London.
    Tell me about it.

I go round every week to collect post & tidy the garden & start sorting drawers & taking paperwork but it's just overwhelming.
  • There used to be a fella in Crayford at the bottom of Station Rd on the roundabout in the row of terrace houses there.
    He took most of the big stuff from our Dads place.
    No idea if they’re still there though, sorry xx
    Long gone that place
  • We used British Heart Foundation for mother-in-law's house clearance. They looked at what they could sell and what they would have to dispose of. Luckily what they could sell came to more than their disposal costs so we didn't have to pay them anything. The rubbish they cleared from the garage saved us so much time and stress. 
  • If there's potentially anything of value you could try an auctioneer like Roseburys (I only mention them because we've used them recently for a similar task).  Someone will come round and tell you if they think they can sell anything for you, then it's collected and put into the auction and you get a cheque minus fees.  We were surprised at some of the stuff they were interested in and ended up making £900 from things that would otherwise have gone to a charity shop (where 75% of the rest did go) or a skip (effectively paid for a few of them).  We also used BHF for some of the basic furniture that the auctioneers didn't want, and eBay for a few other items.  Some bits like water butts and an empty fish tank we left in the front garden with a 'free to a good home' sign, and it all went.
  • Sponsored links:

• Just one thing to take into consideration, if your mum has been paying council tax since she went into the home, you can reclaim it.  Just contact the local council and they will sort it for you.
  • addix said:
    If there's potentially anything of value you could try an auctioneer like Roseburys (I only mention them because we've used them recently for a similar task).  Someone will come round and tell you if they think they can sell anything for you, then it's collected and put into the auction and you get a cheque minus fees.  We were surprised at some of the stuff they were interested in and ended up making £900 from things that would otherwise have gone to a charity shop (where 75% of the rest did go) or a skip (effectively paid for a few of them).  We also used BHF for some of the basic furniture that the auctioneers didn't want, and eBay for a few other items.  Some bits like water butts and an empty fish tank we left in the front garden with a 'free to a good home' sign, and it all went.
    That's interesting re the auctioneers & certainly something I'll be looking into many thanks.
  • My time is rapidly approaching for the same task with my mother, I wish you well Charlton Bob.
  • edited June 2021
    Addickted said:

@blackpool72 did mine, he raised £20
    That was for all the 26” length school trousers you wore in to all 2018/19 season Biggleswade games. 
  • Apologies for hi-jacking the thread but does anyone know a good demolition company?
    I need someone to knock down an outdated and dilapidated commercial property.
    If it helps the post code is SE25 6PU. 
  • @charltonbob

Thanks BB, what sort of figure would you think for a three bed room house, appreciate depends on how much stuff there is in it but a rough guide if possible.
    Thanks
    Best if you phone Caroline, I wouldn't like to get it wrong.
  • Pedro45 said:
    Just one thing to take into consideration, if your mum has been paying council tax since she went into the home, you can reclaim it.  Just contact the local council and they will sort it for you.
    Wow didn't know that, I'll check it out thanks
  • My time is rapidly approaching for the same task with my mother, I wish you well Charlton Bob.
    Thanks Jon & the same to you
  • @charltonbob

Thanks
    Best if you phone Caroline, I wouldn't like to get it wrong.
    Will do thanks
  • Charltonbob
    Firstly sorry for your loss.
    I used to do house clearances for a job.
    Unfortunately I can't help you mate as I'm now retired. 
    But I can offer a bit of advice. 
    Firstly anything that is metal such as kitchen appliances Tv's Etc if you can take them out the front of your house the scrap metal people will take them.
    Any clothing,bedding,curtains and the like  you can recycle. 
    Try phoning a couple of second hand shops and see if they can take anything. 
    Unless furniture has a fire safety label I doubt anyone will take it.
    It now costs about £150  per Ton to tip at council run tips which is the main reason house clearances cost so much.
    Anyway good luck and sorry for your loss.