Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

House Clearance

2»

Comments

• Options
    There used to be a fella in Crayford at the bottom of Station Rd on the roundabout in the row of terrace houses there.
    He took most of the big stuff from our Dads place.
    No idea if they’re still there though, sorry xx
    Long gone that place
    Oh that’s sad 😞 
  • Options
    Charltonbob
    Firstly sorry for your loss.
    I used to do house clearances for a job.
    Unfortunately I can't help you mate as I'm now retired. 
    But I can offer a bit of advice. 
    Firstly anything that is metal such as kitchen appliances Tv's Etc if you can take them out the front of your house the scrap metal people will take them.
    Any clothing,bedding,curtains and the like  you can recycle. 
    Try phoning a couple of second hand shops and see if they can take anything. 
    Unless furniture has a fire safety label I doubt anyone will take it.
    It now costs about £150  per Ton to tip at council run tips which is the main reason house clearances cost so much.
    Anyway good luck and sorry for your loss.
    Thanks Blackpool72, fortunately (?) my Mum has only gone into a care home (though it seems like a loss at times). sounds like good advice there, do scrap metal dealers charge to take stuff away ? Many thanks for the advice

• Options
    Charltonbob
    Firstly anything that is metal such as kitchen appliances Tv's Etc if you can take them out the front of your house the scrap metal people will take them.
    It now costs about £150  per Ton to tip at council run tips which is the main reason house clearances cost so much.
    Thanks Blackpool72, fortunately (?) my Mum has only gone into a care home (though it seems like a loss at times). sounds like good advice there, do scrap metal dealers charge to take stuff away ? Many thanks for the advice

No, leave it outside and they'll take it. 
    Put a radiator outside yesterday and it was gone in 10 minutes

• Options
    Charltonbob

The only thing they charge for is Fridges and Freezers. 
    Anything else they will take for nothing 
  • Options
    Tins of paint are a no go as well.
  • Options
    Tins of paint are a no go as well.
    I used to put stuff like that in suitcases and put them in the household tip.

Please don't report me.
  • Options
    Unfortunately my Mum has had to go into a Care Home as a permanent resident (I always expected it to come to this but originally she was there as "temporary respite)
    I'm now faced with the monumental task of clearing her Council house, she's been living there 74 years & my Dad was born & lived all his life there. They were both collectors / hoarders  :(  There's books & trinkets/ ornaments all over the house plus I believe a whole lot of junk in the loft & a walk in cupboard that I'm sure hasn't seen the light of day in years. I always wanted to clear a lot of the stuff out but Mum never wanted me to.
    Anyway I don't drive so can't get rid of much at a time & Social Services have started asking when I will be handing the tenancy back. I think my only option is a house clearance firm. Does anyone have any experience or tips & advice on using this type of company. Obviously want to avoid cowboys who might fly tip but also wondering will they take absolutely everything from junk to stuff that obviously they can sell. I have cleared all paper work/documents & jewellery (not that it would be worth much, more a sentimental thing) & will hopefully give clothing & possibly books to charity shops if they collect, after that I'm stressing out.

Thanks for any advice
    My brother in law used to do this. Fire me a pm and I can ask mate
  • Options
    cafcfan said:
    Apologies for hi-jacking the thread but does anyone know a good demolition company?
    I need someone to knock down an outdated and dilapidated commercial property.
    If it helps the post code is SE25 6PU. 
    Best first you check it's not a listed building or on the councils heritage/conservation list.
    If you knock it down, the council will make you rebuild it! :wink:

• Options
    edited June 2021
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Something to maybe think about, we had loads of stuff for the tip when my dad passed and when we took it down there I'd stupidly mentioned it was my late dad's and they said as it's not my rubbish I'd have to pay to leave it there although I was a Bexley resident and entitled to dump rubbish and recycle my own stuff (to a certain weight per year) . 

All would have been fine if I didn't stupidly  mention it wasn't my rubbish

I nearly went Michael Douglas mode as I was stressed out enough at the time but they let me in the end without charge. 
  • Options
    Richard Ryan based Bromley takes scrap metal for free usually 07501698459.
  • Options
    @charltonbob
    I used to be an antique dealer.  If there's anything Art Deco I can give you an idea of the value and would take it at a fair price without the auction fees if it's something I'd add to my own collection.
  • Options
    Any furniture worth saving?  I used Emmaus to take my Dad's sofas.  They came and collected.  A very worthwhile charity.

https://emmaus.org.uk/greenwich/our-shops/
  • Options
    @charltonbob
    I used to be an antique dealer.  If there's anything Art Deco I can give you an idea of the value and would take it at a fair price without the auction fees if it's something I'd add to my own collection.
    Thanks AA but no Art Deco
  • Options
    Unfortunately my Mum has had to go into a Care Home as a permanent resident (I always expected it to come to this but originally she was there as "temporary respite)
    I'm now faced with the monumental task of clearing her Council house, she's been living there 74 years & my Dad was born & lived all his life there. They were both collectors / hoarders  :(  There's books & trinkets/ ornaments all over the house plus I believe a whole lot of junk in the loft & a walk in cupboard that I'm sure hasn't seen the light of day in years. I always wanted to clear a lot of the stuff out but Mum never wanted me to.
    Anyway I don't drive so can't get rid of much at a time & Social Services have started asking when I will be handing the tenancy back. I think my only option is a house clearance firm. Does anyone have any experience or tips & advice on using this type of company. Obviously want to avoid cowboys who might fly tip but also wondering will they take absolutely everything from junk to stuff that obviously they can sell. I have cleared all paper work/documents & jewellery (not that it would be worth much, more a sentimental thing) & will hopefully give clothing & possibly books to charity shops if they collect, after that I'm stressing out.

Thanks for any advice
    Make sure you don’t throw the baby out with the bath water. When my mum died and I had to clear the house, I didn’t clear the loft. Left behind all of my old toys (thunderbirds, Hornby, scalextric, Charlton programmes, fully signed Who at Charlton programme). Absolutely gutted by the time I’d remembered but when I went back it was too late. Someone had taken them 😭
  • Options
    Curb_It said:
    Any furniture worth saving?  I used Emmaus to take my Dad's sofas.  They came and collected.  A very worthwhile charity.

https://emmaus.org.uk/greenwich/our-shops/
    Thanks Curb It, no sofa as had to get rid to accommodate a "Hospital" bed in Mums living room when she originally came home from hospital. The matching chairs are well sat in & probably need to be dumped but there's a decent dining room table with chairs & some wardrobes so I'll contact them. Thanks
  • Options
    _MrDick said:

Thanks for any advice
    Make sure you don’t throw the baby out with the bath water. When my mum died and I had to clear the house, I didn’t clear the loft. Left behind all of my old toys (thunderbirds, Hornby, scalextric, Charlton programmes, fully signed Who at Charlton programme). Absolutely gutted by the time I’d remembered but when I went back it was too late. Someone had taken them 😭
    Thanks MrDick, yes that's another worry I have no idea what's in the loft. My Dads footprint could be up there, I remember once he was up there & stepped where he shouldn't & put his foot through his bedroom ceiling. He had to put ceiling tiles up to cover it haha. I have checked the cupboard in my old bedroom, lots of cowboy figures & scratched up dinky & matchbox cars but not what I was looking for. My dad had a friend who was a sports photographer who had given him a big pile of photos of games at the Valley & Highbury from the 50s (I think) my Dad was a gooner but also went to watch Charlton & he gave me the photos but sadly I left them there when I moved out to live with some trollop & I have no idea what happened to the pics.
  • Options
    _MrDick said:

Thanks for any advice
    Thanks MrDick, yes that's another worry I have no idea what's in the loft. My Dads footprint could be up there, I remember once he was up there & stepped where he shouldn't & put his foot through his bedroom ceiling. He had to put ceiling tiles up to cover it haha. I have checked the cupboard in my old bedroom, lots of cowboy figures & scratched up dinky & matchbox cars but not what I was looking for. My dad had a friend who was a sports photographer who had given him a big pile of photos of games at the Valley & Highbury from the 50s (I think) my Dad was a gooner but also went to watch Charlton & he gave me the photos but sadly I left them there when I moved out to live with some trollop & I have no idea what happened to the pics.
    It probably won't be a fortune but you may be surprised as to how much some of that stuff may be worth should you decide you can bear to part with it (I couldn't part with most of mine but did sell an old plastic Dalek for over £200)
  • Options
    _MrDick said:

Thanks for any advice
    It probably won't be a fortune but you may be surprised as to how much some of that stuff may be worth should you decide you can bear to part with it (I couldn't part with most of mine but did sell an old plastic Dalek for over £200)
    Have to say  I wouldn't blink an eye letting that stuff go & while I know a lot of the dinky stuff etc goes for a lot in the original pristine box, these really are beat up. In fact I think my Dad got a job lot of second hand cars at one point so were already a bit rough to start with.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    _MrDick said:

Thanks for any advice
    Have to say  I wouldn't blink an eye letting that stuff go & while I know a lot of the dinky stuff etc goes for a lot in the original pristine box, these really are beat up. In fact I think my Dad got a job lot of second hand cars at one point so were already a bit rough to start with.
    Being an Addick, you will want to keep your 1964 Ian Allan Combined Volume ...... you'll have lots of Southern Region steam engine numbers underlined from standing at the end of platform 11, Waterloo station. :smile: