Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

George Dobson - Hungarians say transfer on hold til the summer (p61)

Comments

• Options
    I'd say I was underwhelmed with him so far. He runs about a lot but his passing is poor and he gives away so many needless free kicks.
    Hopefully it was just adrenaline and match sharpness but he needs to calm down a bit.

If hoofing the ball up to Stockley is going to be the game plan for the season it will not matter, he may as well run around to keep warm.
    2nd half we didn't hoof so much but get your point.
    When Gilbey is fit I'd rather start him with Clare and Morgan I think.
    Hopefully we get in a midfielder that's a step up from all of them or we are gonna struggle for goals/assists 

• Options
    edited August 2021
    He played really well. He’s a has a quite unique way of running which makes him stand out but he looked impressive.
  • Options
    I was impressed. Covered lots of ground and was always closing down the receiving player in midfield. Sloppy late on when he got tired but fuck me, he’s an upgrade of Watson and Pratley that’s for sure. Think he’s got fan favourite potential with his commitment.
    Definitely an upgrade on them two.
    But lost count of his silly fouls,  and short midfield passes where he left a team mate short and struggling. Reminds me of a player we had not long ago with a big blonde barnet.
    Early days but Jury still out for me on this signing 

• Options
    Too early to say whether he's an upgrade on Pratley in that role or just a younger version of him
  • Options
    The issue may become that we need more than lots of hard workers .... this isn’t the Prem years when we had to out-work teams because we wouldn’t be able to out play everyone.

In league one we need to be dictating the game, owning possession and generally taking the front foot.

Think we can have one grafter - he may well be that - but we need the creative / goal scoring players around.

Dobson, Clare and Morgan should be a thing of the past from 1st September 
  • Options
    The issue may become that we need more than lots of hard workers .... this isn’t the Prem years when we had to out-work teams because we wouldn’t be able to out play everyone.

In league one we need to be dictating the game, owning possession and generally taking the front foot.

Think we can have one grafter - he may well be that - but we need the creative / goal scoring players around.

I don’t think in League One that teams play through midfield. The amount of football that is played bypassing midfield in this league is ridiculous. 

Are you saying that Dobson and Clare shouldn’t be our centre midfielders this season???
  • Options
    edited August 2021

I don’t think in League One that teams play through midfield. The amount of football that is played bypassing midfield in this league is ridiculous. 

Are you saying that Dobson and Clare shouldn’t be our centre midfielders this season???
    I am saying that - thinking back to previous league one promotion midfields - they won’t score or create enough from the midfield together.

You need one of them but not both. I don’t think back in May - that’s what the majority of fans would have been hoping for to get us up.

Just my opinion, and at the moment I am shitting myself even suggesting something the way this forum is - but yep. There it is.
  • Options
    Looked busy and very comfortable at this level. Could be a big player for us this year.
  • Options
    I don’t believe either Dobson and Clare were signed to be squad players. I don’t see Morgan getting the 10 shirt only to be back up either.

I hope we bring in a good creative CM. I feel there’s no chance we’ll bring in two CMs when we need players in so many other positions.

On Dobson and Clare I’m somewhere in the middle. I can see potential but I want to see what they do over several games before deciding if I think they’re good enough for a promotion chasing midfield.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I am saying that - thinking back to previous league one promotion midfields - they won’t score or create enough from the midfield together.

You need one of them but not both. I don’t think back in May - that’s what the majority of fans would have been hoping for to get us up.

Just my opinion, and at the moment I am shitting myself even suggesting something the way this forum is - but yep. There it is.
    Mate you are Charlton. Don't shit yourself posting your opinion EVER. Whatever you think in your head, you are welcome here. 
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    I don’t believe either Dobson and Clare were signed to be squad players. I don’t see Morgan getting the 10 shirt only to be back up either.

I hope we bring in a good creative CM. I feel there’s no chance we’ll bring in two CMs when we need players in so many other positions.

On Dobson and Clare I’m somewhere in the middle. I can see potential but I want to see what they do over several games before deciding if I think they’re good enough for a promotion chasing midfield.
    Gilbey would be ahead of all 3 in my opinion. 
    Morgan I want to succeed as he's our boy.
    Clare looked more useful to me yesterday and I think we may get another in on loan so wonder will Dobson start much?
  • Options

Mate you are Charlton. Don't shit yourself posting your opinion EVER. Whatever you think in your head, you are welcome here. 
    Agreed, and don't get too downhearted if people disagree, it's what the forum is about. 

I actually agree with Damo, the lack of goals from midfield is a concern. But with Dobson and Clare, I hope Gilbey plays slightly higher up and replicates his form from the back end of last season. 
  • Options

You bastard. 
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    I'm happy with Dobson and Clare so far. Dobson was everywhere on Saturday and Clare looks like he can do it all - tackle, dribble, pass, etc.. And both have good engines. It's an upgrade on how weak we looked centrally last season, with Watson waddling about and Shinnie showing some nice passing but no defensive side to his game. And let's not even talk about the Watson & Pratley partnership.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

Dobson has been signed to do a job at DM.

His task is to shield the back 4, break up play and supply the creative players.
    Yesterday he did that pretty well. 

I reckon he's going to be a key member of the team, doing the grunt work and providing a platform for the creative players to  do their stuff.
    He's already proved how effective he can be in this League at Walsall and Wimbledon.

When we sign some creative players of course.
  • Options
    Too early to say whether he's an upgrade on Pratley in that role or just a younger version of him
    If he's a downgrade on Pratley, we may as well give up now :)
  • Options
    He's quite strong for his build and plays with passion. 
  • Options
    Absolutely loved what I saw from him: hard-working and covers the ground really well. Improved accuracy will come as understanding grows between the players. I really cannot see us adding anyone else to midfield, it seems pretty complete to me.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I think we do need both. Dobson does a lot of work closing down whilst Clare holds his position and picks up pieces. You then usually have a more offensive player with them in a 4-3-3 Who tries to get close to the striker, ours is Morgan who seems to not have quite mastered that position yet.

I’m happy to talk football all day long, no need to shit yourself.
  • Options
    Redhenry said:
    If he's a downgrade on Pratley, we may as well give up now :)
    Pratley was fine for us, especially in the Championship season. It was the Pratley/Watson combination which was the problem

Yes I can understand why we would want someone younger, but it's too early to say whether he's better than Pratley
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    It's extremely harsh to blame anyone after a terrible clearance down the middle.  Bannon did excellently driving into open space.  Your goalie in a breakdown hits a poor ball down the centre, even great teams like Liverpool v Atletico Madrid struggle with that.  Thought Dobson was good.  Too many niggly fouls, but the positive there was unlike Watson if a player got inside him he didn't plant or fall over but was still in the game harrassing.  Agree with Dazzler Morgan's cover is and was excellent.

I struggle to see the blend in Clare, Dobson, Gilbey and Washington.  Morgan is the one that can link but unfortunately is too central and not as effective in the channels.  This team/formation will struggle without real pace coming from the full backs, and without a midfielder going on the outside.  Too much will be played in congested central areas with these players.
  • Options

I think we do need both. Dobson does a lot of work closing down whilst Clare holds his position and picks up pieces. You then usually have a more offensive player with them in a 4-3-3 Who tries to get close to the striker, ours is Morgan who seems to not have quite mastered that position yet.

I’m happy to talk football all day long, no need to shit yourself.
    Agreed, we're playing with three attacking players sitting high up the pitch. One is a proper winger and the other is a forward. They both work hard but they're still based far enough up the pitch that not having two combative midfielders deeper to protect against breaks is a disaster. What's good is we seem to have a proper spoiler in Dobson and a player who can get the tackles in as well as driving the ball up in Clare. So far it looks like a good balance, though I think Gilbey will offer more than Albie once/if he's properly fit this season.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Clare got forward too, it wasn’t all down to Morgan. I liked the run he made to the right side of the box when he cut the ball back for Morgan. He also won a dangerous free kick in the first half by running at then. I think we’ll see more of both as he settles into the team. He might not have Aribo like feet but you wouldn’t get runs like that from Shinnie, Pratley or Watson.
    Exactly. Adkins has made it clear he wants more energy and athleticism in the team.

There'll be more of these runs from Clare, and perhaps Morgan and Gilbey, when he's fit.