Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England's Massive Achievement

2»

Comments

• Options
    edited July 2021
    i don't blame any of those who missed penalties but its beyond me how any manager can sit and watch such domination and not change it - nothing wrong with defending a lead, sitting in and hitting on the break but we only had sterling with any pace - was crying for saka to come on - too late once scored, italy had stopped flooding forward and the gaps had gone - southgate would say it was braver not to make the change and iot could have ended up worse - i don't agree - if u aren't carrying a  threat on the break, you are just waiting to concede - it was bowyeresque for me and we missed a big chance to finish the job in that second half - overall, the tournament was a good effort and losing to italy at the death is no shame - they are a good side but just so frustrating and seemingly so obvious what we needed to do   
  • Options
    SE7toSG3 said:
    We took the next step, that is to reach a final.

We have a great set of players, and, despite the understandable post match scramble to find blame, I believe one who are well coached, managed, and have the potential to go one better next time out. 

Support wise, the country came together, it crossed communities in a way we haven't seen so clearly in previous tournaments, this was an England team for today's England, a country I am very proud to be part of. 

Most importantly, on the playing side, I believe we have promoted ourselves from competing with good sides like Croatia & the Czech Republic, to competing with the top sides like Italy and Germany. We have grown from a potential QF team to a potential Final team and I believe that will continue for the next 2-3 tournaments, there are untold nations across the globe that just wont ever get to see their team achieve that. 

Waking today, gutted, deflated, what if's floating about in the head every few minutes, it might not make immediate sense but I think England, on and off the field, have made huge strides this past few weeks, as mentioned by @KiwiValley in a sense 'Football has come home'.  

What he said, that I said
  • Options
    18 months until Qatar and every single one of these players will still be playing at a high level. 

Would keep the group together as it is and keep the consistency into the World Cup. Can't see any players getting into this 26 other than maybe Greenwood or Alexander-Arnold. 

Use the games for the next 18 months to figure out a decent formation and settled first XI that can all play off each other and understand the style of play. 
    Gomez? Or am I wearing my Charlton tinted glasses?
    Gomez walks into the squad easy, no disrespect to Coady but they're worlds apart. That's two major tournaments in succession where Maguire and Stones have played well though so wouldn't be guaranteed of a starting spot. 
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    i don't blame any of those who missed penalties but its beyond me how any manager can sit and watch such domination and not change it - nothing wrong with defending a lead, sitting in and hitting on the break but we only had sterling with any pace - was crying for saka to come on - too late once scored, italy had stopped flooding forward and the gaps had gone - southgate would say it was braver not to make the change and iot could have ended up worse - i don't agree - if u aren't carrying a  threat on the break, you are just waiting to concede - it was bowyeresque for me and we missed a big chance to finish the job in that second half - overall, the tournament was a good effort and losing to italy at the death is no shame - they are a good side but just so frustrating and seemingly so obvious what we needed to do   
    I'm in agreement with this.

Upon reflection I think Southgate got it wrong from the very beginning. I would have stuck with 433 but I can understand the thinking behind the 523. However, Italy's weakness was pace, a bit like Germany. So if you're going to go 523, you had to have pace either side of Kane, so I felt the selection of Mount was the wrong call. Then like Doucher says, Italy are dominating and our only chance to score that vital second was pace on the break, we changed things way too late. Southgate was was ultra defensive, clinging onto a 1-0 and the gamble didn't pay off. I wont criticise too much, that's not deserved, but I hope he learns from it. 

If he wants it, Southgate has earned another go. I'm so proud of what they've achieved and there's no doubt he is a massive part of the success. I do feel we have the players to be a lot more positive, although we are clearly lacking a CM really comfortably on the ball. Imagine a prime Stevie G in this team with the attacking players we have got, would be unreal. Hopefully Bellingham can be that man going forward. 

• Options
    18 months until Qatar and every single one of these players will still be playing at a high level. 

Would keep the group together as it is and keep the consistency into the World Cup. Can't see any players getting into this 26 other than maybe Greenwood or Alexander-Arnold. 

Use the games for the next 18 months to figure out a decent formation and settled first XI that can all play off each other and understand the style of play. 
    Gomez walks into the squad easy, no disrespect to Coady but they're worlds apart. That's two major tournaments in succession where Maguire and Stones have played well though so wouldn't be guaranteed of a starting spot. 
    Gomez I can see being the cover/eventual replacement for Walker. He's pretty quick (albeit not quite as much as Walker) and has experience as RB and CB so the role would fit him I think.
  • Options
    thenewbie said:

Gomez I can see being the cover/eventual replacement for Walker. He's pretty quick (albeit not quite as much as Walker) and has experience as RB and CB so the role would fit him I think.
    Yes I wouldn't disagree with that, Gomez is a really good RCB in a back 3 if we play that way. I do think Maguire, Stones and Gomez are competent enough to play in a back 4 though. With Rice in front and the attacking talent we've got, I very much hope 433/4231 is the way we play moving forward. 
  • Options
    We only got to the final due to an easy draw and were convincingly the 2nd best team in the final, the first time we played a decent team. I wouldn't call it a massive achievement, a good one though.
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    We only got to the final due to an easy draw and were convincingly the 2nd best team in the final, the first time we played a decent team. I wouldn't call it a massive achievement, a good one though.
    Of course we did!! - Funny how England only do well or win because the draw favours us or because the opposition were shit
  • Options
    The 2 best teams made the final in my opinion and the best team on the night won.