Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Face masks at sporting events after July 19th

Comments

• Options
    You can order the lateral flow tests here, delivered to you (usually next day).
    https://www.gov.uk/order-coronavirus-rapid-lateral-flow-tests
  • Options
    Or try your local pharmacy.
  • Options
    Hex said:
    redman said:
    Everybody particularly in the younger age groups won't have had the opportunity to be double vaccinated (2 weeks before to be effective). Proof of a negative lateral flow test must be given as an option. This system did work well at Lords on Saturday and Edgbaston a couple of weeks ago. 
    It would however involve the club employing more people to check these.
    And if the government is mentioning the EFL, what about the National League (not much difference in crowd numbers between many L2 and NL clubs) or rugby or cricket etc

It was dead easy for me, just showing my Covid App proof at Lord's on Saturday, and most people might accept getting a lateral flow test for a one off "big " event, but it would be a massive pain in the arse and expensive if people without both jabs had to do that for every game. 
    Why would it be expensive ?
    I hadn't realised that you can get them delivered free, as I only heard about the private ones people get for flights
  • Options
    Thanks @stonemuse
    Even a luddite like me could do that.
    Shouldn’t matter if it was through same gp- download the nhs app and go through the process and your covid stuff should update there
  • Options
    Hex said:
    *Chemist !
    😉
  • Options
    So should we expect to be issued with the same guidelines when we go to Beckenham for the 50 over match a week on Thursday ? 
  • Options
    Nothing about this on news channels that I can see
  • Options
    The article says it MAY be required.
  • Options
    edited July 2021

The news comes just days after Wembley hosted a jam-packed Euro 2020 final

Vaccine passports and face masks are set to be required for entry into sporting events in England after July 19th.

London's Wembley Stadium played host to numerous Euro 2020 fixtures, including both semi-finals and the final.

Face coverings and proof of vaccination were not needed in order to gain entry, and social distancing measures were hardly enforced at all.

However, and quite confusingly, this could be set to change after 'Freedom Day' on July 19th, when the latest round of coronavirus restrictions are set to be lifted.

Rather than take masks off, fans seeking entry into sporting events in England may be asked to keep them on.

You may also need proof of having had a Covid vaccination to gain entry.

Prime Minister Boris Johnson has already said that large sporting venues have a duty to adopt such measures, "as a matter of social responsibility".

Sporting bodies have previously criticised the government's stance on the safe reopening of live events.

However, in order to remain open for the foreseeable future, and in particular during the winter when new restrictions may come into force, federations may be left with no choice but to adopt those suggested by the government from July 19th.

Speaking to Telegraph Sport, a government official said: "We are going to strongly encourage sports to use it [advice regarding vaccine passports and face coverings].

"Through guidance, we will be encouraging the use of masks. Certainly, an event organiser can put it as a condition of entry."

Although it's unclear which sporting competitions will be pressured to adopt the new rules, the government official told The Telegraph: "I think most Premier League and EFL clubs will be."

One particular measure already in place in certain venues is staggered entry times. Piloted for use with weekend football and rugby internationals, this is likely to be less effective for mid-week Premier League and EFL games.

A Premier League source told The Telegraph it would present "a challenge" for supporters having to alter decades-old routines.

This is inaccurate. You were required to either show proof of both vaccines or proof of a negative lateral flow in the prior 48hrs to gain access.

You were also required to wear a mask.

The fact the former was not consistently enforced and the batter no one complied with is besides the point.

Im pretty convinced any request to wear Masks would be 90% ignored if England games are anything to go by. Also, lateral flows as someone suggested are utterly pointless as they can be faked easily.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

The news comes just days after Wembley hosted a jam-packed Euro 2020 final

Vaccine passports and face masks are set to be required for entry into sporting events in England after July 19th.

London's Wembley Stadium played host to numerous Euro 2020 fixtures, including both semi-finals and the final.

Face coverings and proof of vaccination were not needed in order to gain entry, and social distancing measures were hardly enforced at all.

However, and quite confusingly, this could be set to change after 'Freedom Day' on July 19th, when the latest round of coronavirus restrictions are set to be lifted.

Rather than take masks off, fans seeking entry into sporting events in England may be asked to keep them on.

You may also need proof of having had a Covid vaccination to gain entry.

Prime Minister Boris Johnson has already said that large sporting venues have a duty to adopt such measures, "as a matter of social responsibility".

Sporting bodies have previously criticised the government's stance on the safe reopening of live events.

However, in order to remain open for the foreseeable future, and in particular during the winter when new restrictions may come into force, federations may be left with no choice but to adopt those suggested by the government from July 19th.

Speaking to Telegraph Sport, a government official said: "We are going to strongly encourage sports to use it [advice regarding vaccine passports and face coverings].

"Through guidance, we will be encouraging the use of masks. Certainly, an event organiser can put it as a condition of entry."

Although it's unclear which sporting competitions will be pressured to adopt the new rules, the government official told The Telegraph: "I think most Premier League and EFL clubs will be."

One particular measure already in place in certain venues is staggered entry times. Piloted for use with weekend football and rugby internationals, this is likely to be less effective for mid-week Premier League and EFL games.

A Premier League source told The Telegraph it would present "a challenge" for supporters having to alter decades-old routines.

This is inaccurate. You were required to either show proof of both vaccines or proof of a negative lateral flow in the prior 48hrs to gain access.

You were also required to wear a mask.

The fact the former was not consistently enforced and the batter no one complied with is besides the point.

Im pretty convinced any request to wear Masks would be 90% ignored if England games are anything to go by. Also, lateral flows as someone suggested are utterly pointless as they can be faked easily.
    I was at Lord's on Saturday, a full house government Test event - everyone needed proof of vaccination or a negative test - where masks were needed to get in and recommended when you were walking around, but not required when at your seat
  • Options
    What annoys me is the ambivalence of Fat Boy's government and himself. He attends two.matches at least and wears no mask and over half the people  there would not yet qualify for a vaccine passport. 

Just when we look forward the bastard does this yet night clubs won't need to and travelling on public transport will remain a lottery.  

We are told we don't need a mask on public transport but we are asked to act responsibly and wear one.

He said he would on in the rush hour. Fat chance he will go on public transport.  Security would not allow it. 

Yet at a football match he doesn't wear a mask but we will have to and prove we have had two jabs. 
    Could not run a piss up in a brewery. 

You don’t like boris, fine. But why is it so bad to wear a mask at a football game?
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    I can't see it happening if you are being told to wear one while in your seat. Madness if true.

The vaccine passport I'm all for though.
  • Options
    Surely it should be down to the leagues or clubs to decide. 
  • Options
    I can't see it happening if you are being told to wear one while in your seat. Madness if true.

The vaccine passport I'm all for though.
     Possibly but it was not mandatory last Sunday,  was it, (?)  so why would it be 
    after 'Freedom Day ' ?
    Because the prime minister, the future king and the rest of the the rich and famous have had their day out now
  • Options
    It's for the best ultimately, though I know a couple of people who have had both jabs and are currently down with Covid so it's not foolproof. Ultimately though, it's a bit of decency towards your fellow fans; turn up either jabbed or tested (or preferrably both) and wear a mask and reduce the risk of infecting and harming the fans who stand either side of you. If you want to be hugging them at the final whistle at Wembley then help them get there by taking care of them on a Saturday, fine by me.
  • Options
    Am I  right  in assuming that the "passport" would be the card that people got when getting the injections ?
    In which case, what is stopping people who have had neither or one jab just taking someone else's card ?
    Not the card.
    Either the App or paper copy, which takes about 5 days, available here:

• Options
    I already have the app but have ordered a paper copy just to be on the safe side. Thanks for all who posted the link to that. Very helpful 
  • Options
    If true then I personally won't be going if this is the case. 
    Hear hear
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2021
    Given  that I have a health condition (for the last 55 years), I am currently being treated with immunosuppresant drugs taken daily. I was told to shield by the government all last year.
    I have been double vaccinated, and have also subsequently been tested for antibodies. Unsurprisingly the immunosuppressant drugs suppressed the antibodies (zero).
    The government has yet to update its advice. I am a season ticket holder and will attend but will undoubtedly wear a mask which protects others. I am not amused by  this government's cavalier attitude to appeasing those who cannot be asked to wear a mask to protect others. 
    Do not get me wrong, I am in favour of opening night clubs along with all other parts of the hospitality industry, for those who wish to attend. I agree we should open our sporting events, but we should also continue to mandate the wearing of face masks when in crowded situations.
    I will take risk and use my season ticket and, if i am the only one in the ground wearing a mask, will be easy to identify. 
  • Options
    Billy_Mix said:
    The usual agenda banging gobshites deliberately missing the point as always
    The recent big sporting events with increasing attendances were always intended to be TEST events
    I doubted there'd actually be any worthwhile appraisal of the outcomes, maybe I misjudged...

Loads of people going to Wimbledon or Wembley was never billed as the beginning of 'open season' and only the willfully stupid are drawing that conclusion

Wearing facemasks in crowded situations and for indoor mixing will be square one common sense as self-preservation, to say nothing of any social responsibility.
    Infection is spreading exponentially
    Vaccinated people are getting ill, some seriously.  The vaccines are valuable but nowhere near a panacea.
    Protecting myself with something as painless and trivial as a facemask is as simple and sensible as tying my shoelaces so I don't trip over and break my stupid neck.
    Believe me I don't really give a flying fudge about anybody I don't actually know but casually exposing anybody to something this dangerous is base level scum behaviour.

Glib complacent wankery from Bojo T Clown like ''relying on individuals' common sense''  is ludicrously unhelpful and emblematic of the utter disinterest and detachment which is endemic at his level and in his puppetmasters.

By your mask choice will we see your true character.
    Imagine calling people gobshites and then banging on like that 
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Hex said:
    Or speak to me. I’ve got about 50 indoors and am happy to sell 1 testing kit for 10 English pounds. For an extra fiver I am happy to take to the test for people. Inbox me and I’ll provide my Nigerian bank account details. Many thanks. 

Edit - I also have a number of used face masks available at a bargain price of £20. They have only been worn 5 times and were given to me by my local testing centre. 
  • Options
    Hex said:
    redman said:
    Everybody particularly in the younger age groups won't have had the opportunity to be double vaccinated (2 weeks before to be effective). Proof of a negative lateral flow test must be given as an option. This system did work well at Lords on Saturday and Edgbaston a couple of weeks ago. 
    It would however involve the club employing more people to check these.
    And if the government is mentioning the EFL, what about the National League (not much difference in crowd numbers between many L2 and NL clubs) or rugby or cricket etc

It was dead easy for me, just showing my Covid App proof at Lord's on Saturday, and most people might accept getting a lateral flow test for a one off "big " event, but it would be a massive pain in the arse and expensive if people without both jabs had to do that for every game. 
    Why would it be expensive ?
    I hadn't realised that you can get them delivered free, as I only heard about the private ones people get for flights
    Lateral flow tests are free. For flights you need PCR test, which is more reliable and you  have to pay for. 
  • Options
    Useful to know - just hope they're easy to do.
  • Options
    They are easy to do, though the swab stick is very flimsy and although I try to look in a mirror when I swab my throat, it isn't easy to tell if you're hitting the right spot, although my gagging reflex suggests that I am!  
  • Options
    Billy_Mix said:
    The usual agenda banging gobshites deliberately missing the point as always
    The recent big sporting events with increasing attendances were always intended to be TEST events
    I doubted there'd actually be any worthwhile appraisal of the outcomes, maybe I misjudged...

Loads of people going to Wimbledon or Wembley was never billed as the beginning of 'open season' and only the willfully stupid are drawing that conclusion

Wearing facemasks in crowded situations and for indoor mixing will be square one common sense as self-preservation, to say nothing of any social responsibility.
    Infection is spreading exponentially
    Vaccinated people are getting ill, some seriously.  The vaccines are valuable but nowhere near a panacea.
    Protecting myself with something as painless and trivial as a facemask is as simple and sensible as tying my shoelaces so I don't trip over and break my stupid neck.
    Believe me I don't really give a flying fudge about anybody I don't actually know but casually exposing anybody to something this dangerous is base level scum behaviour.

Glib complacent wankery from Bojo T Clown like ''relying on individuals' common sense''  is ludicrously unhelpful and emblematic of the utter disinterest and detachment which is endemic at his level and in his puppetmasters.

By your mask choice will we see your true character.
    Firstly correction, there has been significant appraisal of the test events. For test events including football, cricket, theatre, concerts etc people have been asked to do a PCR test both before the event and after. The conclusion as I understand it is that these test events did not lead to a significant increase in cases amongst those who attended. 
    The rest of your post hardly shows that you have given it a reasoned conclusion based on fact. 
  • Options
    I have been using them twice a week for the last three months, they are very easy to use and give confidence to my family and particularly my wife who works in a hospital environment and is required to test twice weekly herself. 
  • Options
    It takes 10 mins.
    You put a couple of drops of liquid in a plastic vile.
    Swab the back of your throat and then the inside top of your nose.
    Put the swab in the vile and leave it 5 mins (I think).
    Then tip the drops of liquid onto the reader and wait 5 mins.
    It reads C or T. C is negative.
    (Instructions are included, but it's roughly as above).
  • Options
    It takes 10 mins.
    You put a couple of drops of liquid in a plastic vile.
    Swab the back of your throat and then the inside top of your nose.
    Put the swab in the vile and leave it 5 mins (I think).
    Then tip the drops of liquid onto the reader and wait 5 mins.
    It reads C or T. C is negative.
    (Instructions are included, but it's roughly as above).
    Sounds pretty idiot proof so I should just about be okay.