Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Sean Clare - July 2024 signed for Leyton Orient (p33)

Comments

• I still remember the fella in front of me at MKD moaning about his “face tat” 🤦🏼‍♂️
  • Why leave it to you are 25 to have it removed?
  • Good luck Sean.

Our box to box central midfielder next year
    Hasn’t got the awareness or passing quality to do that , but he’s more than useful in defence 
  • Good luck with the operation Sean

Slightly frustrating that the operation couldn't wait a few days until after the season, but I guess that he couldn't be that choosy in the timing with something which after all isn't a "sports" operation.
  • Very best wishes to Sean, and warm regard for his contribution this season.
  • Best of luck with the op Sean and very much looking forward to seeing you wear our red and white again next season!
  • Good luck to Sean. Have really enjoyed watching  his progress this season. 
  • Best wishes. My runner up for POTY after Dobbo.
  • Sponsored links:

• Nice one YTS1978 jnr
  • edited April 2022
    On Clare, I'll say again he was bought as a midfielder.

He and Dobson were dropped.

Dobson has proved that many fans saying he was the problem in midfield or that he was a terrible buy were wrong.

Clare hasn't been able to show that the same is true of him.

But he has proved his worth as a centre back which shows he at least has the defensive qualities needed.

In 532 or 433 we need two centre mids able to defend (SC & GD) and one able to create and preferably also defend (JFC).
  • Best wishes to Sean. 
  • edited April 2022
    I also smile when people say we need a complete clear out but then name quite a few we have to keep. The side is almost there we need to sort out who is going to play as first choice among the three at the back, find a very attacking right wing back and get a very good midfielder to compliment Fraser and Dobson. They are the most pressing issues.
  • On Clare, I'll say again he was bought as a midfielder.

Dobson has proved that many fans saying he was the problem in midfield or that he was a terrible buy were wrong.

But he has proved his worth as a centre back which shows he at least has the defensive qualities needed.

In 532 or 433 we need two centre mids able to defend (SC & GD) and one able to create and preferably also defend (JFC).
    Clare got injured at MK Dons which left us with 3 "fit" central midfielders including a 36 year old recovering from Covid.

He came back into the team at the end of Adkins time playing in midfield in both the Accrington and Bolton debarcels.  Jackson has never picked him in midfield.  In 30 odd games.

• Cafc43v3r said:

Clare got injured at MK Dons which left us with 3 "fit" central midfielders including a 36 year old recovering from Covid.

He came back into the team at the end of Adkins time playing in midfield in both the Accrington and Bolton debarcels.  Jackson has never picked him in midfield.  In 30 odd games.

But has picked picked him a centre back.

If  Innis, Lavelle and Famewo had all been available that might have been the back three all season. Clare was, IMHO, a forced pick as there was no cover but he's done too well to be dropped.

Next season I think he should be playing in midfield.

Jackson might disagree 
  • If we had such terrible signings at the beginning of this season,  then why is it that George Dobson, Sean Clare and Corey Blackett-Taylor would be in the top 3 of most of the discerning Charlton Fans ?
     Also Lavelle was beginning to get up to speed when he got his second serious injury of the season which had hampered his progress.

We still made a decision to sign CBT after he or his agent arranged a trial at Sparrows lane.

Only having Roddy at LB when Purrington was injured was a bad decision, Gunter tried his best out of position but he was exposed.
    Many of us said it at the time not in retrospect.

Some really good decisions made with incoming players but we didn't hit the ground running (Watson couldn't) and players not coming in early enough meant August was a complete disaster.

By the way, WE didn't drop Dobson, Nigel Adkins did. 

Anyone who listened to the ramblings of Nigel on CAST zoom and Bromley Addicks zoom knew that Adkins was struggling to be coherent about football Tatics and the players, several of the new signings were dropped including Dobson and Clare. 

Thankfully Johnnie Jackson, realized that Sean Clare has pace and could do a decent job as a defender in a 3 as he can head the ball and still charge forward up the flank.
    JJ also saw that George despite his unusual running action could get to the ball quicker than Ben Watson and deserved the midfield spot which Dobson is enjoying and may still develop more as his confidence grows. Seeing Dobson get forward more is similar to *Declan Rice who started as a holding midfielder but is more fluid now for England and West Ham as his game has evolved.  

*On a different level obviously.
    An interesting comparison with Declan Rice, as when he first broke through at West Ham the general perception was that he would go in to be a quality centre back. He could play a bit but he was mostly solid first and foremost, and Chelsea certainly had an eye on him with a view to him playing out in a back three much like Rudiger does. That transfer never happened though and Rice has shown over time that he's got the footballing quality to take players on and dictate entire games with his attacking threat more than his defensive ability. Would be nice if Clare found that same niche
  • Sponsored links:

• edited April 2022
    This is an interesting Sunday morning debate with many grown-ups saying their opinions. The main point that has come out of these on going discussion is that Sean Clare is a versatile player who for the older CL members I give you Paul Madley who could play Full back, centre back or midfield for Leeds.

Good point by Cafc43 who said JJ had never picked him in midfield but that is probably as much to do with he is the player who has the most pace once he helped out at the back and Deji injury along with Inniss and Levelle and Gunter not being good enough as a CB, meant Sean was really needed at the back.

The most important thing is his operation and we hope that it is 100% successful, he refreshers his batteries and is fit and raring to go what ever position he plays next season as he will be an important member of the 18 if not the 11 who start.

• This is excellent news as it gives us all one last chance to see Chris Gunter in action. What a treat that will be. 
  • I'm hoping to see SC playing further forward next season as I think he has a lot to offer, best of luck with his op as it can't be easy living with such an obvious mark. 
  • edited April 2022
    I wouldn't mind seeing Clare play in the right wing back role next season but equally with the right partner next to him (talkative, positionally aware and commanding in the air) he could be a revelation in a two man central defence as well. Anyway best of luck with the operation Sean and I hope you have a speedy recovery.
  • edited April 2022
    The good thing as highlighted by the two posts  above mine is that he can be a versatile option - if we sign better players around him, he could play centre back, right back, right wing back, midfield.

Might mean not putting completely unsuitable players in unfamiliar positions in case of a couple of injuries in the same positions, but relies on us having some decent strength in depth in the first place to cover wherever he moves from.
  • my POTY ….. 
    You're POTTY Ronnie? 

Much as I rate Clare and think he's been one of our most consistant players this season, surely the POTY will be deservedly won by George Dobson?

• Clare just about holds off CBT for 2nd place imo
  • edited April 2022
    Cafc43v3r said:

If  Innis, Lavelle and Famewo had all been available that might have been the back three all season. Clare was, IMHO, a forced pick as there was no cover but he's done too well to be dropped.

Jackson might disagree 
    Clare is already half playing in midfield anyway ..... even at RCB, he's encouraged to get forward at every opportunity, providing he's covered.
    That's Matthews' job as defensive RWB, able to competently drop into RCB when Clare goes on a run.

Rarely picked up by the opposition, Clare's our overlapping centre back.
    Anyway, that's the general idea! :smile:

• edited April 2022
    Cafc43v3r said:

Jackson might disagree 
    I’m still not convinced. Think he’s too similar to Gilbey in the sense that he will do a lot of running for you but isn’t the strongest passer so is unlikely to create much, nor do I expect him to score many goals. That’s been our problem all season.

In your earlier post, you say that in a 352/433 you need two who can defend and one who can create. In a 352 especially, I tend to subscribe to the opposite view that you need one defensive player and two creators. (Ideally you have three who can do both. Unfortunately, those are hard to find in the third division.)

In a 433 it’s more likely you’ll find two defensive players but even then I’d rather play Dobson and Forster-Caskey in there before Clare.

With one defensive minded player in a 352, Clare is adequate as a covering option behind Dobson. But I couldn’t trust him to create regular openings for other players around him. And that would lead us back to the same issues that have derailed our 21/22 season.