Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Those that got away

Comments

• Options
    Was Mark van Bommel ever close to signing?

Got mentioned every window because we had Dennis Rommedahl, but dont know if it was just wistful thinking
    MVB was linked at the same time as Kezman. 
  • Options
    Weren’t we linked with a former big Brazilian name at one point?
  • Options
    mart77 said:
    Rivaldo, when he was 40, if I recall correctly.
  • Options
    van persie
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    MrLargo said:
    mart77 said:
    Rivaldo, when he was 40, if I recall correctly.
    Romario too in 1998/99, his Agent was hunting around trying to find a club for him

Remember an article in the programme talking about it, but Curbs said he wanted people who knew the Premier League... Although questioning my dates now as around that time he was still scoring for fun with Vasco da Gama and Flamengo

We also had Eric Wynalda and Dom Dwyer on trial (not at the same time obviously)

The latter and Johan Ter Horst only failed to sign because of some twat of an owner.
  • Options
    We were quite heavily linked with this guy, in the early 2000s, probably not long after this article was published - https://www.skysports.com/football/news/2275946/real-madrid-one-to-watch-javier-portillo

Went on to have a pretty underwhelming career though.
  • Options
    Thought the Cahill thing was down to his off the field issues that meant his missus wanted to move up North.
  • Options
    We were linked to James Scowcroft several times but nothing came of it. Another saga that dragged on for ages during our first PL season was John Aloisi, think he ended up at Coventry in the end. 

Two that came up several times were James Beattie and Wes Brown, bit unlikely for me, but there seemed to be something in it.
  • Options
    Andy Delort
  • Options
    James Beattie 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Jason Puncheon was set to sign but we couldn’t afford it.

I know Pardew wanted Rickie Lambert before he went to Southampton but don’t know why that didn’t come off
  • Options
    Wasn't Fernando Morientes rumoured at one point , just after the Joma kit deal?
  • Options
    Jac_52 said:
    Andy Delort
    Did he get away or did we get away?!
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Remember Clement Lenglet (now at Barcelona) being linked under the early days of Roland

Think he turned us down actually so we did try as he was at Nancy at the time
  • Options
    Also, some fictional ones that our dogshit owners put out there but were never really gonna happen:

Under Katrien we pretended to just miss out on Max Gradel and Jonson Clarke-Harris.

And this -https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/marcus-maddison-made-unreasonable-wage-demands-as-charlton-deal-broke-down/

Even though we were under a transfer embargo, it was actually his wage demands that scuppered the deal. Huge blessing in disguise in the end!
  • Options
    Ross said:

I know Pardew wanted Rickie Lambert before he went to Southampton but don’t know why that didn’t come off
    Think there were a few on Powell's list we couldn't then afford who went on to do pretty well elsewhere if I remember rightly.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    I actually remember being not too fussed about Clarke-Harris at the time, as remembered his awful penalty miss when we thumped Rotherham 4-1 with Makienok and Gudmundsson running the show... He's done well to really improve as prior to 2018/19 he'd never gotten into double figures
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Ross said:

I was certain Puncheon didn’t sign as ‘we would be getting better players than him’ due to the Zabeel deal and then it all went to poop!
  • Options
    Ross said:

Think there were a few on Powell's list we couldn't then afford who went on to do pretty well elsewhere if I remember rightly.
    Off the top of my head, Keith Andrews, Alan Judge, Sam Baldock. I’m sure there were another couple.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Ross said:
    Ross said:

Off the top of my head, Keith Andrews, Alan Judge, Sam Baldock. I’m sure there were another couple.

Wasn't Yannick Bolasie for £250K one of them and Sone Aluko another? Plus a small ginger midfielder who's name escapes me but ended up having a decent career at somewhere like Hull?

(Ed. Stephen Quinn per post below)

Think Steve Sidwell was linked a couple of times too.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    mart77 said:
    Alex (a small Brazilian name)
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Remember Clement Lenglet (now at Barcelona) being linked under the early days of Roland

Some French striker at the same time too wasn't there, powerful looking young lad who's surname started with B.  Gawd, my memory for names is rubbish. 😂

(Ed . Bahebek per post below)
  • Options
    Ross said:
    Ross said:

Wasn't Yannick Bolasie for £250K one of them and Sone Aluko another? Plus a small ginger midfielder who's name escapes me but ended up having a decent career at somewhere like Hull?

Think Steve Sidwell was linked a couple of times too.
    I think it was Stephen Quinn?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_Quinn
  • Options
    Teddy Sheringham…🤔
  • Options
    Ricardo Fuller, this first time.
  • Options
    Fumbluff said:
    mart77 said:
    Alex (a small Brazilian name)
    I remember this guy too. Think he was refused a work permit and had been playing in Japan
  • Options

Some French striker at the same time too wasn't there, powerful looking young lad who's surname started with B.  Gawd, my memory for names is rubbish. 😂
    Oh yes... Jean-Christophe Bahebeck @ PSG - Such a shame looking at how he's doing

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean-Christophe_Bahebeck
  • Options
    edited August 2021
  • Options

Was a whole summer under Roland where we went after a few young French talents , Lenglet was definitely one of them along with Jean-Phillipe Gbamin who's now at Everton but was at Lens then. 

Was a striker too that summer called Tom De Sutter that got very close and we ended up with Makienok. 

• Options
    MarcusH26 said:

Was a whole summer under Roland where we went after a few young French talents , Lenglet was definitely one of them along with Jean-Phillipe Gbamin who's now at Everton but was at Lens then. 

Was a striker too that summer called Tom De Sutter that got very close and we ended up with Makienok. 

To be taken with a pinch of salt but didnt Tommy say recently that he wanted to bring in Frenkie de Jong when he was @ Willem II but got over-ruled someone at the club?