Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Would you stay or move for a bigger club?

Comments

• do a 'Killer' .. gain legendary status at the Valley, then move on for the big bucks and (hopefully) a taste of the REAL big time .. AND THEN return in a blaze of glory and move from mere legendary status to become an all time icon (or is a legend 'bigger' than an icon ?)
  • edited August 2021
    Most footballers will get another job (usually in football) once they've retired playing. I don't really buy 'short career'. It's not like they lack post-playing opportunities
  • I'd go, earn more, play bigger games, get more England caps.

Grealish has done right by Villa, stayed when they went down and Spurs wanted him, stayed a couple of years ago, scored the goal that kept them up, hasn't kicked up a fuss and has waited until they ve got a big offer rather than kicked up a fuss for a move 2 or 3 years ago.

They'll be happy with £100m, he'll be happy with the move.  

Then as people say, go back in a few years for a final hurrah there.
  • Leuth said:
    Most footballers will get another job (usually in football) once they've retired playing. I don't really buy 'short career'. It's not like they lack post-playing opportunities
    Depends who you are I guess, there are definitely lower league players who can't get a job in football and aren't qualified for much else.  
  • edited August 2021
    Where do I sign, I’m off.  But, might try and influence a decent loan to replace my undoubted abilities. 
  • Huskaris said:
    I'd take the big money, then give the club the last few years of my career once I've earned all the cash I need. 

I think most people who say they'd stay at Charlton would change their mind if the situation was put in front of them, and what it could mean for the family and future etc. 
    Yeah this is what I'd do. Do what Rooney did, although his return wasn't the best. If you leave the right way, 99% of fans accept it so you still get the best of both worlds. 
  • cfgs said:
    Leuth said:
    I'd take the money, don't think I'd really care about the trophies either

I'd sign the longest, most lucrative deal possible then down tools a few days into training
    Grounds for dismissal! Not quite that simple is it 
    Bare minimum then

I'd go to the Euros with England and unfurl a "England, Charlton, City" flag when we make the semis
    Surely you mean "Charlton, England, City"?
    Yeah but

Is that I was trying to get at
  • edited August 2021
    Leuth said:
    Depends who you are I guess, there are definitely lower league players who can't get a job in football and aren't qualified for much else.  
    I guess I meant it in the context of someone like Grealish (or, say, a vaunted Charlton youth product) rather than a lower-league journeyman. I guess with someone like Alfie Doughty whose attributes are more physical than technical it might be different, and there's no guarantee that being a good player makes you a suitable coach. But then at higher levels there are media careers and ceremonial shmoozing roles...
  • As fans we have the emotional view of playing for a club you love.  As a player, even if you support the club you play for, it's a job. 
    Any decision to move on is going to come down to how you are treated by the manager, owners and teammates.
    If you were being lined up for a big money move, the club would be pushing you out the door. Your agent would be thinking about his percentage. Would take a strong person to stay.
  • Not a nansecond's hesitation - sign the Eff off big contract - what's the worst that can happen?  A year benchwarming on £12.5M, then moving on again, to another signing-on fee with his "tail between his legs" 😂😆🤣 ££,£££,£££.pp
  • Sponsored links:

• Kane and Grealish have behaved with class and loyalty when both could easily have jumped ship. Both are class players and aren't going to be warming the bench up at Man City 

I'd love to say I'd stay but going on what players have said about playing for clubs you support, that can be a double edged blade. For me, in the scenario described, you take the big move, having given your boyhood club a great service and shown loyalty you are allowed to take the dream move and fill a trophy cabinet up 
  • Leuth said:
    Leuth said:
    I guess I meant it in the context of someone like Grealish (or, say, a vaunted Charlton youth product) rather than a lower-league journeyman. I guess with someone like Alfie Doughty whose attributes are more physical than technical it might be different, and there's no guarantee that being a good player makes you a suitable coach. But then at higher levels there are media careers and ceremonial shmoozing roles...
    True, it is weird when you hear it in the context of big players.

Sure he'd be fine with probably the £30-40m over 5 years he was on at Villa, however short the career may be!
  • Sign the deal. Play out my contract, go back the Charlton as a free agent. 
  • I'd 100% stay and lead Charlton to League and European glory.
  • I would imagine Villa are rubbing their hands to get the 100M in any case regardless of what Grealish wants.   
  • edited August 2021
    Footballers shouldn’t be thinking of themselves as fans. Any club will dump any player if it suits them. 

I’d go where I think I’d be best rewarded. Whether that be medals, money or happiness.
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Stay. Better to be a big fish in a small pond than a minnow in an ocean.
    This. If you move to Man City there is no guarantee you'd play regularly. Better off being the big fish......and you're still playing in the Premier League against the same players.
  • Doubt I would pass a medical at a bigger club, to much drugs, drink and women also added to the fact I have a body made of glass and break my bones in the most innocuous ways.
  • I can understand players moving on because their club has reached its plateau.

It's not like the 70s when smaller clubs could realistically challenge for the big prizes, nowadays you're fighting for the scraps left behind by City, United, Liverpool and Chelsea, hardly any teams will move to the top table like Leicester, while Arsenal and Spurs have slipped well behind and will take years to be competitive again

Someone like James Milner, by well timed moves has accumulated a shed load of medals, whereas Kane has won nothing
  • In an ideal world I'd go and play abroad. I think English players are bonkers for not doing this more. Why live in Liverpool when you could live in Barcelona, Milan, Munich etc.
  • Sponsored links:

• In an ideal world I'd go and play abroad. I think English players are bonkers for not doing this more. Why live in Liverpool when you could live in Barcelona, Milan, Munich etc.
    Always thought this, must be brilliant being a footballer at some of the coastal clubs in Spain, great atmosphere, amazing food, attractive women, big expensive house by the beach.

Rather that than, say, rainy Cheshire, as nice as bits of it are.

Even more so away from the top, top players.  I'd rather earn less (bit still a lot) playing for Valencia or someone than a bit more playing for Stoke or Burnley.
    I remember once seeing an interview with John Collins after he'd moved to Monaco, with Collins in front of his pool with a glorious view of the sea behind him, and the interviewer half jokingly asking him if he missed Glasgow!
  • Leave.

You’ve got to keep in mind that many players don’t live the same lives as fans as we do. They’re not doing years upon years of home and away games for the club they support, as they’re usually in the player bubble by the age of about 16.

Jack Grealish can say that he helped get Villa back to the Premier League, score/assist a load of goals for them, and establish them as a top flight club again. Not sure what else realistically he could do for them that would supersede what he could achieve elsewhere.
  • Surely in any profession you want to be the best you can be and in the best surroundings working with other people the best in the field. Man City and other massive clubs offer exactly that with stupid money to boot. Grealish would be nuts not to take the opportunity.
  • This City move is a no-brainer (perfect!). It's not like he's being lured by money to play alongside some dreck. He'll be moving to the best club in the country, recent Champions League finalists, essentially the permanent owners of the League Cup, surrounded by some of the best players in the world in one of the best teams ever to be coached by one of the best managers in history. More chance to develop as a player under Guardiola, more chance to become a fixture in the England squad, especially given he'll be playing with Foden and Sterling (and maybe even Kane), and the opportunity to win the top trophies, all while being paid a shedload more. He's been good to Villa, helped them comfortably establish themselves and his fee will allow them to invest in pushing for a European place. Can't see an argument against it
  • What's he on at Villa?  £100K per week?  He is already likely able to never work a day in his life and leave plenty of money to any kids he has.  In that way, if it was me, finances would not come into it but I would leave Villa to go to a club who will win trophies and play in the CL as I would want to be the best I could be.  Do it the right way and come back once I have run down my 4-5 year contract to see out the career.

I already have my lads career mapped out.  Join Charlton yoof, progress to first team, once best in world at age 18 leave for £00's millions to join a club capable of winning everything, meaning Charlton get a nice pay day and can buy The Valley and training ground back.  Wind contract down at said club joined and go back to Charlton on a free but with a buy out at £200m, join massive club for £200m the next day giving Charlton another huge pay day.  Run down contract, play out the final years at Charlton whom are now CL winners off the back of the hundreds of millions of transfer fees he earns them.  He loves the idea too (but is 8 so doesn't really understand any of it). 😃
  • There are a couple of ways to look at this depending on your viewpoint. If I was happy, satisfied with what I was earning (let’s face it, wherever you are it would be a big wedge), playing for the club I love and it not all, ultimately, being about a bigger wedge, I’d stay. But, if I wasn’t so happy, or I wanted trophies/glory and a bigger wedge, I’d leave. 
  • I'd hate to be a bench warming trophy winner.

Winning a league or cup...without having hardly any actual input. 

A pretty empty pointless winners medal.

The contract would have to say I'm 99% likely to be in the 1st team.
  • Rob said:
    There are a couple of ways to look at this depending on your viewpoint. If I was happy, satisfied with what I was earning (let’s face it, wherever you are it would be a big wedge), playing for the club I love and it not all, ultimately, being about a bigger wedge, I’d stay. But, if I wasn’t so happy, or I wanted trophies/glory and a bigger wedge, I’d leave. 
    It's not just trophies and glory either. Grealish is not a complete player at the moment. He has incredible skill but he doesn't have a press in his game yet. His stats are similar to De Bruyne's when he started at City, coming in as a winger/10, good offensively but not affecting the game as fully as he could, and now De Bruyne is one of the best, most complete midfielders in the world. There's a lot to be said for working with a coach who can help you become the best you can be, and allow you hopefully to shake off any doubts the England manager may have about you
  • If I was playing for my boyhood club earning 120k a week in the premier league then I'd like to think I'd stay. That sort of money would have me and my family set for life already without needing any extra on top.

Then again if you know you are playing for a club thats never going to win anything a move to citeh and doubling your wages would be hard to turn down.